The Hyperion XP-1 sounds like the name of a spaceship from a 1950s sci-fi movie, but it's actually a forthcoming hydrogen-electric supercar that promises a 1,016-mile (1,635-kilometer) range. After months of teasers, the debut is here.
The hydrogen fuel cell module generates electric power that motivates all four wheels, and there's a three-speed transmission. The layout lets the supercar hit 60 miles per hour (96 kilometers per hour) in under 2.2 seconds. The top speed is estimated to be above 221 mph (356 kph).
Keeping the vehicle lightweight is a major focus of the design and allows for a curb weight below 2,275 pounds (1,248 kilograms). The XP-1 uses a carbon-titanium monocoque chassis with titanium-reinforced composting bodywork. The vehicle stores its hydrogen in carbon fiber tanks.
The XP-1's body has smooth styling with flying buttresses that run behind the doors. These pieces serve two purposes. They are active aerodynamic elements that improve high-speed cornering. In addition, they function as solar panels capable of changing positions to follow the trajectory of the sun.
Inside, the XP-1 is a high-tech place. Unfortunately, the company's video only offers a glimpse of it. The cabin features a 98-inch curved screen with touch-free gesture controls for the tech on the center console. Occupants have a full view of the outside world through a wrap-around glass canopy.
The major flaw of current hydrogen-fueled vehicles is the lack of a refueling infrastructure. Hyperion seems to have a solution in mind because the company says that it has a later announcement about a "plan to revolutionize the hydrogen refueling industry."
Production of the XP-1 begins in 2022, and Hyperion intends to build 300 of them. There's no info on pricing yet.
• Manufacturer: Hyperion Motors
• Country: United States
• Year: 2020
• Type: Street car
• Division: Gr.X
• Engine: 4x Electric motor, Hydrogen fuel cell
• Power: --- HP / --- rpm
• Torque: --- Nm / --- rpm
• Engine location: Front, Rear
• Aspiration: EV
• 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) Time: 2.3 seconds
• Top Speed: 354 km/h (220 mph)
• Power-to-weight ratio: --- hp/kg
• Drive: All wheel drive (4WD)
• Chassis: Carbon-titanium monocoque
• Gearbox: 3-Speed Automatic Transmission
• Suspension: Fully Independent Double Wishbone Suspension Crafted in Ultralight Space Grade Aluminum Alloy
• Front brakes: 18” Carbon Ceramic Brakes
• Rear brakes: 17” Carbon Ceramic Brakes
• Range: 1634 km (1016 miles)
DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT
• Lenght: --- mm
• Width: --- mm
• Height: --- mm
• Weight: 1248 kg