Hypertech Power Programmers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joey D
  • 7 comments
  • 705 views

Joey D

Premium
Messages
48,062
United States
Lakes of the North, MI
Messages
GTP_Joey
Messages
GTP Joey
Does anyone have one of these that they downloaded on to their car? I've considering buying one for my truck but I really don't know if I should believe the commercials about the gains they claim. So I was wondering if anyone had this and what kind of gains they were able to get in power and fuel mileage.
 
I'm speaking from second-hand knowledge, but I have seen people post dyno graphs of hp/tq gains.
(as small as the gains were, they were still gains.) And I have seen/heard other people complain about being ripped off.
 
I've mostly heard people saying they got ripped off, according to the hypertech site the S-10/Blazers should gain 26 hp. I'm thinking thats a load of s***.
 
My buddy has a '97 Ford Thunderbird w/ 4.6 L OHC V8. We put a Superchips chip in it. The Superchips is a "piggyback" chip that sits in a port on the ECU. I noticed that it sounded a little more "burbly" and you could smell in the exhaust that in was running richer. Power gains were noticable by the calibrated butt dynamometer, but not stunning.

There are better mods for your 300-400 bucks, but it did do something, so it's not a complete scam.

Aftermarket exaust and a K&N filtercharger would net better gains.
 
Actually do exhaust really give more power? I mean my buddy has a custom 3inch exhaust on his Xtreme and I can't feel any difference. He also has a K&N intake kit.
 
From the dyno tests I've seen, a cat-back exhaust should net you between 5-15 hp on a modern, computer controlled car. Adding headers to the mix can free up maybe 5, maybe 10 more hp. But this definitely depends on the specific car. Probably the chip would have the greatest benefit if there are other engine mods that stck computer cant take full advantage of.

And the exhaust sounds cooler, thats worth something, right? :)
 
Is the exhaust mandrel or radius bent? 3" seems a little big for a V6? N/A engine.. Is it a catback or manifold(s) back exh? Either way, it should pick up a few hp. Not enough to notice however.

Now on a turbocharged vehicle, an exhaust can make tremendous gains. :)
 
I believe mandrel. The only thing I noticed is that you can hear his truck before you see it, and I don't want that. I spent a lot of money to make my truck quite, even though I have a system. Tons of Dynamat and other stuff. But if I were to get an exhaust it would have to be quite. I hate ultra loud exhaust.
 
Back