I am extremly disapointed (Red disk error after 1 race)

  • Thread starter Thread starter scuba21
  • 15 comments
  • 1,208 views
Messages
2
Hi,

I'm new here. I'll try not to sound like a troll.

I bough a like-new PS2 just to play this game (GT4). I played this I was around 40-50% then I noticed after a couple of races the spinning disk/clock would be red AFTER a race and the game would jam. I though it was a memory issue so I reset/delete my memory card, started a new game, now after like 10 race, when I want to enter a new race, AFTER the race it crash. Same thing for arcade, it let me do 1 race then it crashes. To be honest it's extremly disapointing for a console game. There is no reason all of the sudden it stop working.

I opened my PS2, there was no dust but I still sprayed some dust remover. Tried it again, no go. Now I'm reading some threads that says I *need* to change my laser orientation or something ... I mean wow ... and SONY puts spyware on music cd to prevent honest people making backups but I can ****ing play my game anymore after a couple of hours, doesnt make any sense.

On my xbox I never had that problem, my xbox was chipped and I installed a 80gb HD on it and ran all my legits games FROM the HD .. and guess what ? Never had a dirty disk error!

Sorry for this rant but I feel cheated. And please don't get me that Return the PS2/Game to the store. There is no reason it shouldnt work. The PS2 reads all the other games fine and the game is in pristine condition and used to work!
 
You do have to realize this game is really pushing the PS2 to its limits. Nothing's wrong with the console itself, it's the game, and I am going to say it, TAKE THE GAME BACK AND GET A NEW ONE. Mine hasn't had one problem yet and I got it release day. Some people get faulty games that get that. Just take it back and get a new one.
 
scuba21
...the game is in pristine condition and used to work!

If it was in pristine condition then why is it not working? See your contradiction? You have a problem with you game. Not with your PS2.

In the time it took you to type out your rant you could have purchased a used copy of GT4. My copy is used and can be bought at a local game shop for under US$15 or go on ebay and buy a used one for under US$20.

Don't get on Sony's case either if you bought a "like-new" PS2. "Like-new" means USED.

Stuff breaks! Deal with it. "spray[ing] some dust remover" doesn't fix broken parts or "change [your] laser orientation."

About your XBOX:
Your XBOX didn't give you a dirty disc error when you were running games off of your hard drive?

Well then of course its not going to give you a disc-read error! There is no disc to get an error if you're running games off the hard drive.

There's no reason your PS2 shouldn't work? I can think of many reasons why your PS2 shouldn't work- one of them being that you didn't buy it brand new. Such are the risks of trying to save a bit of money by buying used items. I bought a Driving Force Pro(used) on Ebay for US$80. It lasted for month or two and then quit working properly. Count your blessings it was just your disc and not your PS2 or something that costs more to replace..
 
My PS2 = Bought new.

My copy of GT4 = Bought new.

My problems so far = None.

It might cost more, but the whole "new" thing is definitely worth it.
 
From my experience it's just as likely to be the disc as the console, if you know someone with a ps2 try your copy of the game in their machine and see if it still hangs.
 
UPDATE

I tried to play WITHOUT the memory card and it works in arcade mode. Like I said the PS2 read the game fine. But when I put my mem card and load a game, it'll crash after 1 game. Could it be that my mem card it broke ? if so why does it load fine?
 
I've never had this problem(of course I love my ps2/xbox to much to mod them)and I'm using a grampa 1st edition PS2, not the new one that looks like a bookmark lol.

Edit: I remeber when PS2's had some meat on em, not like them new fangled ones that look like new york run models.
 
AngleProvidence
I've never had this problem(of course I love my ps2/xbox to much to mod them)and I'm using a grampa 1st edition PS2, not the new one that looks like a bookmark lol.

Edit: I remeber when PS2's had some meat on em, not like them new fangled ones that look like new york run models.
Also own a "grandpa" PS2, release date GT4 & auth. memory cards-no problems with console, game or card, just the operator needs to be replaced (deleted 85% game-don't ask, still sick to my stomach about it:crazy: :crazy: )
 
I had the exact same problem with my copy of the game.

I assumed it was my PS2 so cleaned the lens etc but the problem kept on bugging me so I sent the game back and got a replacement.

Havent had a single problem with the replacement copy.
 
I bought my ps2 3-4 years ago for a premium price and bought gt4 new as well. I don't regret it one bit.

My cousin has an X-Box which he bought new - it's much newer than my ps2 - and he's getting all kinds of problems with it.

My point is both consoles are well built to last, it all depends on how well you treat them. My cousin is 12 years old and your ps2 was bought used. Those are two "situations" where a console could fail before it should - possible careless treatment.

Besides, I trust Sony much more than Microsoft, but that's just me.
 
BaronCAD: you mean the horizontal case amplifier lookalike?
mine DID break...at only 2 years old, and I only bought the unit in september, last year.
a chip broke off thetrack underneath the DVD tray that lifts and drops the lazer eye and spinner into position when you feed it a disk...and now I need a new PS2. I hope the XB andGC are top loaders...I've never even HANDLED one.

Scuba: you don't just need to clean the UNIT...you gotta clean the disk AND the contacts in the memory cards as well, if it was a used card. if the card IS aftermarket, you may have a dud card. i learned THAT lesson with old fashioned cartrige based games in first through third generation consoles, you gotta clean the buggers if they're used. good luck getting it rolling, and, for pete's sake, check the condition of the disk. someone sold EB a disk I ended up buying that was cracked in half. it was so filthy that the server didn't even notice!! :ouch:
 
I sometimes have that problem in the Arcade mode, I thought the PS2 (one year old tiny thing) might overheat, so turned it off a night, but same thing happened next morning, but now it seems all fine again.
Don't know what it is, but I think it's a PS2 fault, I didn't have it one time even after completing the GT game 100%.
 
I had this problem and bought another PS2 before discovering it was the GT4 disc that caused all of the trouble!
 
Back