I can not find a racing game that is not enjoyble.

Spain
Spain
For sure I enjoy some games more than others. But I can not find a single game that I say "nothing here interest me".

I can even find something interesting to do in games that I detest like recent NFS (tuning a car so it looks like a real racing car), with mediocre aspects like physics and storyline (IMO).

And I absolutely love games with very poor reception like Gravel. How do you decide a racing game is bad?

PD: I focus the topic on racing games because it's almost the only kind of game I play, but the discussion is obviously opened to any kind of game.

How do you decide a racing game is bad?

If there's only one thing that I can think of that's good, and I have to wade through **** to find it.

i've played some unquestionably ****** racing games. I've found things that I think I enjoy, however small they may be. but only one or two small things peppered throughout the game isn't enough to quantify it as a good or even a passable experience.

Really though, what you mentioned I think should be most peoples estimations about bad games in general. One of the things that you should take from a bad game is what are the developers trying to get across with a game, whether it be gameplay, ideas, or story wise? Often times, I think that makes bad games worth it. I can understand that maybe in these current times, there's less desire to do such a thing considering how much more you have to pay in order to play, and how reviews have basically made it so that people avoid bad games or even average games like the plague. I know I do. But for older games? I think it's worthwhile to play bad games.

The only reason I have an answer to this is because I've played Project CARS 1 and discovered it was the first racing game I have considered unplayable; bad controller support.

Other than that, I've managed to find some enjoyment in every racing game I have played, although better ones keep me coming back after months, or even years.

As for other genres, I consider them bad when I don't understand the premise of the game. :lol:

It's difficult personally to decide what I consider bad, I just get a feeling when playing something that more often than not will lead me never to pick it up again. Few games have had this effect on me but they are out there.

Pcars1
WRC 6
Vrally 4
The Crew
Need for speed payback

To name but a few that for me had less than 3 hours of average to not fun game time and haven't been played since the 2nd or 3rd go. There's nothing that particularly links them in terms of my criteria other than just having a feeling while playing. And in some ways it may, for me, be linked to other games. Like, the Crew and payback, to me they get stacked up against Forza horizon, and both lose as neither compare in anyway to it. WRC and Vrally, neither are as good as Dirt Rally or Dirt 4, therefore I see no reason to keep trying to play them.
Pcars1 was just a huge letdown across the board.

For sure I enjoy some games more than others. But I can not find a single game that I say "nothing here interest me".

I can even find something interesting to do in games that I detest like recent NFS (tuning a car so it looks like a real racing car), with mediocre aspects like physics and storyline (IMO).

And I absolutely love games with very poor reception like Gravel. How do you decide a racing game is bad?

PD: I focus the topic on racing games because it's almost the only kind of game I play, but the discussion is obviously opened to any kind of game.
Have you played motorcycle club by any chance? Might be the first game you don't like.

The only reason I have an answer to this is because I've played Project CARS 1 and discovered it was the first racing game I have considered unplayable; bad controller support.

Other than that, I've managed to find some enjoyment in every racing game I have played, although better ones keep me coming back after months, or even years.

As for other genres, I consider them bad when I don't understand the premise of the game. :lol:

Yeah, I tried so hard to like PCars but only use a controller.

It also did dumb stuff like debris staying in the racing line or cars ghosting through you in pits, destroying gaps while you're held for a safe release.

Go back a few generations and there were some stinkers such as London Racer, some other "budget" titles on the PS1 and PS2, Noble Racing was pretty bad also. More recently, I really didn't enjoy either Shift or Grid, I always get them mixed up but whichever one it was, it had weird input lag which I just couldn't get used to.

Of course big console games such as Gravel are at least decent. Although why Bigben invest so much in Kylotonn is beyond me, their Track Racer was totally boring and WRC 5 had got woeful handling for a rally game.
If you aren't exaggerating in topic title OP, I can surely suggest you some bad racing games even if we limit out search to physical releases on 3d home consoles. Take Circuit Beat for example. Later games by PrismArts are great, but this one is just a poor Ridge Racer clone that fall back especially in handing and environment design aspects.
There were a few uninspired budged games on PSX and PS2 too like All Star Racing.
London Racer 2 however, I loved it. It's pretty chill, atmospheric and and the same time there's much stuff going on.
P.S. I enjoyed Kylotonn's Motorcycle Club too. Tracks are pretty and basic mechanics of racing is there. I think these are the reasons why can find enjoyment in almost any racing game.

For me, I feel a racing game is bad if it doesn't satisfy me with its content at all. Some racing games could have a lot of potential but they're untapped because they're scrimped of some rather useful features that could have make it more enjoyable.

Back