I can only drift with 1 particular car.

• Thread starter GT5David17
  • 14 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
GTP_David17
I've pretty much mastered drifting with a DS3. I'm able to drift with anything even a Veyron (90% power to the rear wheels of course)

I've bought a G27 steering wheel a few months ago but I haven't used it much. I've found that drifting with the steering wheel is a lot harder and after a week of practice I have learnt how to drift.

I am able to drift the '07 M3 coupe around a few tracks and I really like this car but whenever I try to use a different car I just can't drift through 2 consecutive corners as I spin around.

how can I adapt my skills to be able to drift other cars?

From your story I derive a couple of things, tell me if they are out of line.

1: You can drift a DS3, which makes you believe you can drift on a wheel. This is not true. It took me 2 months+ to get used to a wheel after using my DS3.

2: You use a really grippy car. Try to use a car with less grip in the rear. Be willing to let the car step out, fore more than 45 degrees. Powering through corners might feel okay, but it's not really drifting. (IF that is happening btw).

3: You don't adapt your skills, you start anew. Pick an easy car to drift, leave it stock except CH and a diff. Learn to drift from scratch. Forget what you learned on the DS3.

From your story I derive a couple of things, tell me if they are out of line.

1: You can drift a DS3, which makes you believe you can drift on a wheel. This is not true. It took me 2 months+ to get used to a wheel after using my DS3.

2: You use a really grippy car. Try to use a car with less grip in the rear. Be willing to let the car step out, fore more than 45 degrees. Powering through corners might feel okay, but it's not really drifting. (IF that is happening btw).

3: You don't adapt your skills, you start anew. Pick an easy car to drift, leave it stock except CH and a diff. Learn to drift from scratch. Forget what you learned on the DS3.

1. I know the DS3 skills are useless I only mentioned them to let you know that I know the basics of drifting e.g. when to accelerate/brake when to countersteer etc.

2. I don't use the stock M3 I have it tuned up to around 450 bhp and it can actually drift (way more than 45 degrees)

3. Which car would you recommend ? I'm s**t at choosing drift cars.

1. I know the DS3 skills are useless I only mentioned them to let you know that I know the basics of drifting e.g. when to accelerate/brake when to countersteer etc.

2. I don't use the stock M3 I have it tuned up to around 450 bhp and it can actually drift (way more than 45 degrees)

3. Which car would you recommend ? I'm s**t at choosing drift cars.

Try this S13, it's where I started to really get drifting on the wheel and I'd highly recommend it to anyone just starting out.

Alternatively - the RX7 FC is a great starter too, really good balance.

Tuning only really changes the characteristics of a car and it wont make you a better drifter, try drifting cars stock to begin with 👍

Good luck on your journey and I hope to see you sideways on track some day!

Try this S13, it's where I started to really get drifting on the wheel and I'd highly recommend it to anyone just starting out.

Alternatively - the RX7 FC is a great starter too, really good balance.

Tuning only really changes the characteristics of a car and it wont make you a better drifter, try drifting cars stock to begin with 👍

Good luck on your journey and I hope to see you sideways on track some day!

How is this s13 stock ?

You didn't but Gonales did therefore I thought beginners should start with stock cars.

Different people have different opinions on how to start - I found the S13 tune that I linked to have a good balance as a beginner car that I didn't find in stock cars at the time. That's why I'm recommending it :)

Different people have different opinions on how to start - I found the S13 tune that I linked to have a good balance as a beginner car that I didn't find in stock cars at the time. That's why I'm recommending it :)

I've tried it on the DS3 and it feels nice. I'll try it on the G27 later on.

I personally used 2.0 camber at the front rather than 3 as I found it had better feel, however that's just personal preference.

Ever thought of trying a tandem?

Being able to drift on your own is all good sure, but learning to tandem is an entirely different feeling.

To comfortably be within just a few inches behind the car in front for several corners is the greatest pleasure that drifting can give you.

But yeah, if you want to tandem just add one of us MCR guys and join us if we've got a room open?

I would be interested to see your skills that you claim to have mastered! :sly:👍

Ever thought of trying a tandem?

Being able to drift on your own is all good sure, but learning to tandem is an entirely different feeling.

To comfortably be within just a few inches behind the car in front for several corners is the greatest pleasure that drifting can give you.

But yeah, if you want to tandem just add one of us MCR guys and join us if we've got a room open?

I would be interested to see your skills that you claim to have mastered! :sly:👍

With a DS3 no problem. I used to do a lot of tandem drifting on tsukuba with some swedish guy and it was real fun.

On a G27 you need to give me some time. I only play 1 hour a week so it will take some time for me to learn :)

Drift setups on the DS3 are VERY different than on a racing wheel. Racing wheels neet completely different setups. On a DS3 you can make almost every drift tune the same and it would be still able to drift.

Back