I can't find a bolt for my alternator

I own a 92' Nissan Maxima GXE DOHC. My alternator bolt (the top ones) somehow has gone missing and right now is being held by a bolt i found in my toolbox, which I know isn't safe cuz i've already gone thru 2 power steering belts due to the lower bracket holding the alternator thats cutting it. I've called the dealership and all they can tell me is they only have the part number (11716-85e01) and no technical details. I asked my local autozone/oreily's if they can cross-reference the number with the dealerships. They can, usually, but not on bolts ( F#@$@#$!) I've tried my best to find the specs online, with no sucess. Could someone please help me!!!!!??? Thanks!

ps. My last resort is to buy it directly from the dealership but 12.99 is just way to much for a damn bolt

azndrifter318
I own a 92' Nissan Maxima GXE DOHC. My alternator bolt (the top ones) somehow has gone missing and right now is being held by a bolt i found in my toolbox, which I know isn't safe cuz i've already gone thru 2 power steering belts due to the lower bracket holding the alternator thats cutting it. I've called the dealership and all they can tell me is they only have the part number (11716-85e01) and no technical details. I asked my local autozone/oreily's if they can cross-reference the number with the dealerships. They can, usually, but not on bolts ( F#@$@#$!) I've tried my best to find the specs online, with no sucess. Could someone please help me!!!!!??? Thanks!

ps. My last resort is to buy it directly from the dealership but 12.99 is just way to much for a damn bolt
The dealer won't give you any size measurments, because they wanna make 12 bucks off the bolt, and they don't sell it to anybody like autozone, cause then somebody'd like JohnQ bolts would make them cheaper... Your only other options are likely A. try all and error, guessing what might fit and buying it, somewhere like a home depot or something, where bolts are 25 cents or something like that, and B. Drilling the hole out, for a specific bolt, which likely isnt worth the possible damage, and effort. I'd go with C. simply pay 12.99, and move on, without possibility of damage, and of spending more trying to get the right size, with numorous trips to the tool store P.S. think of how much those 2 belts cost you.... is it worth another to aviod paying 13 dollars for a guaranteed perfect fit?

A couple questions, first the bolt you found in your toolbox, how does it not fit correctly? Too long/ short? And how is that bolt causing the belts to break?

I'll just go ahead and buy the bolt from the dealership. The reason the belt is getting cut is because the lower bracket holding the alternator is just right above the steering belt (prob about less than an inch lee-way). So when the top bolts fail to hold the alternator, the lower bracket pivots and lands directly on the belt. With time it'll cut it.

The bolt i found in my toolbox seems to fit pretty okay, tho it's kinda short. It's not safe cuz it seems stripped or something cuz no matter how much i screw the damn bolt in, it won't come to a stop, and it's the only bolt i found that matches. Thanks for the help.

I kno I should've done that but, I'm going to take a road trip to see an ex, and I just need it immediately and the nearest junkyard is about an hr drive. I just called the dealership and they don't hold it in stock (NOOO!!!!!). I figure i'm going to just take off the bolt i'm currently using and take it to my nearest local autozone, they'll be skilled enough to find a matching size, right?

would it be possible to take another bolt out and show it to the guys in autozone?

the guys at autozone were pretty stupid by me.so bad,no one ever went there and they closed it.

do you have a local auto parts store that ISNT a nationwide chain? I would suggest looking for one. We have a local chain by us, and they are easily 10x more helpful and knowledgable than any Trak/Autozone/Advance/Pep Boys than I've ever been to. They carry higher quality parts as well, at least around here.

I usually just go to a hardware store for bolts, but it's difficult if you don't know what size bolt you need. If you can find another one on the car (maybe another alternator bolt?) that will thread into the hole then that would make it a lot easier.

Dealer parts computer doesn't always show measurements. Couple of things you can try:

1) Call other dealers, give them the part number. Tell them that you want to make sure it's the right one and ask them for the measurements. I'm not sure about Nissans, but sometimes, different dealers use different programs to look up parts. If the counterman you talked to earlier was a)hiding the measurements from you or b)using different program, the dealer you called might be able to hook you up with the info.

2) I don't recommend this, especially for just 13 bucks. Buy it from the dealer. Go to the hardware store, match it up. Return the $13 one to the dealer. :D

Good luck! :)

Back