I feel over matched in Sport Mode

• Thread starter Emoney
  • 2 comments
United States
United States
I'm not the best but I'm not the worst either. I mean I've made it around The Ring in 6:41 lol. Seriously though, I've been playing GT games for a while and I breezed through the career mode and just got myself a Logitech g29 racing wheel. I know that's not the best wheel on the market but I like it and it has definitely improved my driving compared to the controller. I recently tried my hand at Sport mode on GT7. I feel over matched. It's supposed to be balance of power races but everyone feels faster. Significantly faster. I drive pretty well and still just get blown away. Is there something I haven't learned yet?? Has any decent GT driver experienced the same thing?? I do plan on digging in and practicing and getting better. There's levels to this I get it. But any advice on how to try and get on these guys levels??

I'm not the best but I'm not the worst either. I mean I've made it around The Ring in 6:41 lol. Seriously though, I've been playing GT games for a while and I breezed through the career mode and just got myself a Logitech g29 racing wheel. I know that's not the best wheel on the market but I like it and it has definitely improved my driving compared to the controller. I recently tried my hand at Sport mode on GT7. I feel over matched. It's supposed to be balance of power races but everyone feels faster. Significantly faster. I drive pretty well and still just get blown away. Is there something I haven't learned yet?? Has any decent GT driver experienced the same thing?? I do plan on digging in and practicing and getting better. There's levels to this I get it. But any advice on how to try and get on these guys levels??
For whatever reason, I'm with you. I am nearly A+ on my main account, A+ on my Alt, K' score 80, and have plenty of reasonable success in FIA events on GTS. But I feel lost on GT7 in the limited Sport racing I've done. And that's even when in an GTWS race against people that I've raced many times in FIA events.

I did get a new Fanatec wheel to replace my G29, but I really don't think that's holding me back while I adapt... if anything I think it's helping me.

But I've struggled with pace in online GT7 events, and can't quite figure it out.

That said, I did have some good races at Spa over the weekend, lots of top 5's (on pace, not fuel saving), even a real fastest lap, which I didn't get a lot of in GTS, and was able to race pretty well, enjoying the improved physics model and the new DD Pro control.

I think some of it just comes down to practice. I suppose I haven't put in the same time I did on GTS, or compared to others. I also wonder if running it on a PS4 Pro hurts, compared to a PS5...

Last edited:
Breezing through the career mode isn't really that good a benchmark, it's obscenely easy.

Playing online is a different beast to playing single player. You can't expect to get first every race, because that's insane. And there's so many people out there that there's always going to be someone better than you. On average, half the players in the race are going to be better than you if the matchmaker is doing it's job right.

So just relax and don't compare yourself to others. Compare yourself to yourself. Look at your lap times and try and get faster. Look at your overall lap times and try to improve. Try to reduce the number of incidents per race you're in - even if they're not your fault good racecraft and defensive driving will allow you to better avoid the morons out there. Find things you can work on and improve that are within your control.

As you naturally grow in skill, you'll find yourself doing better in races. But don't make that your goal, that's just a happy side effect. A good race is one where you have fun, and you can have fun no matter where you finish.

Back