I finally won the Top Gear Lotus event

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fastphil96
  • 18 comments
  • 2,369 views
Messages
112
Canada
Ste-Marthe-sur-le-Lac, QC
Messages
Fastphil96
I'm sure most of you finished this months ago, but for the longest time I've been struggling to even complete the Top Gear Test Track Lotus challenge, never mind win it! I was always putting down smoking-hot first laps, only to go off or bump another car on the second lap. I've been off that track in every possible place, going forwards and backwards, and I've hit every single car. I had watched every video I could find showing how to do it. I spent hours trying to beat it, and the best I could get was 3rd place, for a Silver medal.

Then yesterday, I gave it another go after a couple of weeks without trying it. I put in some first laps that were even faster than anything I had done before, and significantly better than the videos I had watched. Less than thirty minutes later, it all came together, and I managed to pass the leader in Hammerhead on the second lap. As we all know, in GT games once you've passed the leader it's easy as pie, so I cooled the rest of the lap just to get it done and I took Gold with a big lead. I was thrilled and relieved to finally beat this challenge. I saved the replay, just because I was starting to hate the challenge!

Then I went on to try the advanced challenge with those old VW trucks, figuring I'll be pulling my hair out for another few weeks, and what do you know, I pass the damn thing on the fist try. :banghead:

And FYI, I'm playing with a DS3.
 
Skid Recovery Force makes this challenge easy.

I haven't try without it though but I guess the car would slide around too much.
 
Yeah I had SRF on basically after the first few tries, otherwise the car drives like the track is coated with butter. It's ridiculous.
 
Yeah, skid recovery is a must for this. It's the only time I've ever used it, It's just too frustrating, time consuming and ridiculously hard without. There is no way an Elise drives like that.

Congrats on completion.
 
I may have to have another crack at it but I had untill now completely given up !!

Did you find it useful watching videos of others that had got gold?? I never would of thought to do that but I'll defiantly check some out!!
 
Grats on completing it. You know your going to have to challenge yourself and do it without SRF now ;)

Try reducing the rear brake balance, it helps a lot under braking 👍
 
That car handles like a POS - does it actually drive like that IRL?
 
I got silver with a DS3 with no SRF and no other aids except ABS set to 3 and it took me 68 attempts to get silver. I can’t be bothered with gold for now. It’s stupid how this challenge is on a lower level when the next higher level Top Gear challenge with those Kubelwagons is so much easier than the Lotus challenge. I think I got gold on 2 tries in the Kubelwagon challenge.
 
That car handles like a POS - does it actually drive like that IRL?

The tyres are the problem, in the Top Gear challenge it is using Comfort Hard tyres. If you drive one on Sport Hard tyres, it handles superbly. 👍
 
I suspect the car is set up similar to those Simulation tires that some GT games have or had. I highly doubt the car handles like that in real life. It's supposedly supremely balanced, but it probably has a lot more grip than in this challenge.

The videos helped somewhat, in that they show you a good way of passing the other cars (i.e. on the left or right, etc.). But my passes, especially into the first turn, were not at all the same as most of the videos I was watching. I'd post mine up, but I don't know how to get it from the PS3 to the web.
 
The asshat at PD responsible for this race should be lynched! It's not just a shame to how the Elise really drives, but the race is not entertaining or fun in any way, just tedious and infuriating.

I've had to convince several of my friends that the Elise actually is a really good and fun car in the game, the race-modded 111R is one of the most enjoyable cars in the game. After trying this race the first time I completely understand why they all think it's a crappy car.
 
Congrats. I have had given up on both the Samba Bus and Elise challenges. Basically same experience as you had. I want to finish them so I can have the Top Gear Test Track to practice on, but previously was becoming so frustrated it just wasn't worth it. Maybe I will go back and give these a try again.
 
The asshat at PD responsible for this race should be lynched! It's not just a shame to how the Elise really drives, but the race is not entertaining or fun in any way, just tedious and infuriating.

I've had to convince several of my friends that the Elise actually is a really good and fun car in the game, the race-modded 111R is one of the most enjoyable cars in the game. After trying this race the first time I completely understand why they all think it's a crappy car.

Like the other poster said, it's the tires that are the problem. For that challenge, they have the Elise equipped with Comfort Hard tires, which have the least grip out of any of the tires in the game. Like the other poster also said, put on tires like the Sports Soft, or Racing medium or something, and the car is 100 times better.

Here's a test you can do. Put Comfort Hard tires on any of the cars you have that you think handles really well. You'll find the car sliding all over the place, and extremely more difficult to control.

It's the tires man....the tires...
 
If you think the Elise is difficult, try driving the Cerbera Speed 12 on comfort hards. You'll be lucky if you get no wheelspin after 4th gear:ouch:
 
I beat it (gold) with all the aids off (except ABS) with the DS3 and it took forever. I thought the Samba bus was easy though.
 
The Elise is definitely much better in real life. A previous supervisor of mine had an orange 111r. I drove it fairly hard a few times and it was great. My boss did make the mistake of lifting mid corner once going aroung 90mph. The rear came out quickly but he was able to save it. It's all in the tires. The factory tire is the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07. That tire is nowhere near a "comfort hard"
 
I settled for Bronze at first, but I came back to it a few weeks later after deciding to try a different setup. I set the TCS to 8, even though it slows you down in the corners, it maintained traction instead of skidding all over the place. It took about 7 or 8 attempts before I finally got Gold. I actually hit some of the other cars but luckily I didn't get disqualified.
 
Yea why would you do that?

Even I'm wondering why I did that:lol: And it was in the rain too:crazy:

I'm guessing that the other Top Gear races also have comfort hards as the tire choice.

The real-life Elise tyres would be closer to Sports-hards, I think.
 
Back