i got in an accident

• Thread starter DoZeRxXx
  • 12 comments
nothing big but yeah, i hit another car today.

basically i was driving around in fargo(north dakota) at about 5pm (getting dark, but no street lights on yet) and i missed my turn(i was in the wrong lane). so anyway, i decide iw ill just go around the block and come back to the stoplight and to go my destination. so i go a block forward and turn left. and it was a one way road (i didnt realize it right away(i was going the right way)) so i turn into the middle lane(as for a casual left turn) and i check whats in front of me and my rear and left mirror then my blind spot. well this dark green car (olds intrege) happen to have its headlights where i could not see them. i check mirrors, nothing, check blind spots and no headlight (behind pillar) so i come to turn and smash. ok it happens, nothing big, no injuries no deaths so it could have been way way worse. took the cops about an hour to drive 3 blocks from the police station to my accident, then another hour to do paperwork.

my car damage.. new front bumper, new front left panal and a new front headlight. i drive a 97 grand am any idea how much that is going to cost me. my parents went cheap and only took liability insurance.

his damage, minor scratch on tire rim (thats where i hit him) and a new front right panal and door panal..

DoZeRxXx
dang dude, why would it be so expensive. i was thinking probably 1500 tops
Bumbers are expensive. About 900 to 1200 for a new one. Plus, installation and paint matching. It could be more.

well my grand am is white so it shouldnt be hard to paint match... so probably 1500ish for bumper and installation... then the side would be like 800?

Hmm, maybe a bit less than that. More like 300 at the most, if it's not a big piece. Is it that badly damaged? More often than not, it can be fixed. Go to junk yards, if you have one near you. But, your car might not be popular enough to warrant searching for.

Another? You're only 16! How long ago did you get your license? It will be taken away if you get in any more accidents. It could be taken away until you're 21.

Yeah, "another"?

Spatial awareness is key when driving – you should be spatially aware, and check your blindspots as a backup, not the other way around (which is how many people drive). In theory, you shouldn't even have to check your blindspots, though no one operates at "perfect/ideal awareness", so it's still something everyone should do. Still, knowing the relative positions and speeds of cars around you really helps in times like that.

Out of curiosity, did you hit him when making a lane change, or when making a turn? (I couldn't pick it up from the story.)

DoZeRxXx
my car damage.. new front bumper, new front left panal and a new front headlight. i drive a 97 grand am any idea how much that is going to cost me. my parents went cheap and only took liability insurance.

Probably $200-300 for bumper cover, "left panal"(fender?) under $200, headlamp should be $100ish(could be less). There should be cheap aftermarket or used(junk yard) bumper cover and fender. Headlamp lens/housing, definitely look for a used one. It's the labor and paint job, that's gonna cost you. I would look for smaller B/S, willing to cut you a deal.

P.S. If your body man would allow you, it will be lot cheaper to bring/buy your own parts. Most shops will buy the parts wholesale, charge you list price, maybe more.

It sucks that you were in an accident, DoZeRxXx. Where did it happen? There aren't a lot of one-way streets in Fargo (I know because I've been driving them for 12 years *holy crap, has it been that long already?*).

I can't help you with the junk yards but I might be able to give you some insight into a body shop that won't remove any of your appendages. Steer clear of Abra on 32nd Ave. I went in there and their quote was almost double. There are a few small body shops that you might not have considered going to. Hopefully they will take care of you as well as they did me. I know they mostly do semi's but Lars' Body Shop on Main Ave would be worth a try. Also Fischer Auto Body is back by Outback Steakhouse. That's who did some work on my car, and I had no complaints. I never had anything done by them, but Northwest AB and Quality AB both do good work. I'm not sure about their prices, though. I hope my two cents helps out. :)👍

well i live like 40 miles away from fargo. we have one here, i was kind of lookin at my car yesterday and it seems like almost all of it can be fixed. the bumper appears to be fine (little little pieces missing, like yellow reflector) the hood could probably be taken off and put on like normal. the side fender needs to be replaced, but thats about it.

TB, i dont remember where i was at. i was going to go check out the hobby shop in moorhead to see if they have a zonda model, but i was in the wrong lane at a stoplight so i was just going to go around a block and come back to it. i think the library or close to it.

i would post a pic of my car now, but i dont know how to host pics and where my digi cam is.
i was switching lanes to make a turn like 20 feet ahead, so i was basically turning

and sage, i hit another car- as in, i hit a car not a pole. not like this is the 3rd car i hit now... my first accident, thats all

Latest Posts

Back