I have a quick question about driving aids

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tidyboyx
  • 12 comments
  • 1,320 views
Messages
46
Messages
Tidyboyx
I'm have a fully race spec elise (as per the TeamLotus thread on here somewhere) and the only aids I have at the moment are TC - 5 ABS - 1 and ASR - On. With this set up I can get around deep forest in about 1 min 11 secs. Someone that was in the same car managed to put in a lap of 1 min 9 secs last night and I cant see how I am 2 to 3 seconds slower with my lines. My question is how much difference does it make if I turn off TC, ABS & ASR in terms of seconds per lap?

Cheers guys loving the game btw!
 
Should give you the two to three seconds. ASM and TCS really rob you on turn exit, after you've started accelerating.

For example, when TCS detects ANY wheel slip (especially at 5), it will "put on the breaks" so as to control the slip, thereby not allowing you to get full acceleration. Next time you are accelerating out of a turn, pay attention to your throttle meter. You'll see part of it red, or on "TCS brake." To best get used to reduction in aids, try notching down by 1 on TCS and removing ASM, running laps between each. (honestly, you can just start at TCS1, and go down).
 
He also mentioned ABS. What about ABS 0? I've heard conflicting things.
 
I just set TCS off yesterday, while I was doing the 4h tsukuba enduro. I was driving on TCS 5 and didn't see a lot of a difference... Now I always turn it of before any race. A real difference was today in my 787B on Daytona road course! Had to turn it back on and now I slowly see what it is actually for...

Completely the opposite with ABS! Turned it off during 4h tsukuba enduro and spin through the first turn ;) Now I'm running ABS 1 and everything else off and it's working pretty fine for me...
 
ABS 0 will seriously cause you skids/brake lock-ups unless you are skilled at braking and doing so gently. Without ABS on it's very easy to slam on the brakes, lock up the wheels and just slid straight on without slowing much.
With ABS1 you have a small amount of assistance when braking to make sure the brakes don't lock to hard and put you off the track.
I'm a seasoned racer and I still use ABS1 occasionally if I can't be bothered to give the race 100% attention.
 
ABS 0 will seriously cause you skids/brake lock-ups unless you are skilled at braking and doing so gently. Without ABS on it's very easy to slam on the brakes, lock up the wheels and just slid straight on without slowing much.
With ABS1 you have a small amount of assistance when braking to make sure the brakes don't lock to hard and put you off the track.
I'm a seasoned racer and I still use ABS1 occasionally if I can't be bothered to give the race 100% attention.

What he said.

BUT in some rare cases ABS off is needed because it somehow reduces the power of the car or something. The classic example of this is the last Jeff Gordon event where braking is not necessary at all (oval) but you can never make it with ABS on whereas if you turn it OFF it's a walk in the park.
Same for some license challenges though do not remember which.

In general though, ABS-1 is the best option for the quickest laptimes.
 
I'm have a fully race spec elise (as per the TeamLotus thread on here somewhere) and the only aids I have at the moment are TC - 5 ABS - 1 and ASR - On. With this set up I can get around deep forest in about 1 min 11 secs. Someone that was in the same car managed to put in a lap of 1 min 9 secs last night and I cant see how I am 2 to 3 seconds slower with my lines. My question is how much difference does it make if I turn off TC, ABS & ASR in terms of seconds per lap?

Cheers guys loving the game btw!

I'm in the same league with you and these cars don't need TCS at all. On Deep Forest it takes a little throttle control but it's easily manageable. This is coming from a DS3 user :)
 
Should give you the two to three seconds. ASM and TCS really rob you on turn exit, after you've started accelerating.

I noticed that on an IB license test on Tsukuba. Just couldn't get enough speed out of the turn to gold it. Then I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to turn off TCS. Did so, and hey presto!

I usually drive with everything off except ABS, which I have set to 1.
 
He also mentioned ABS. What about ABS 0? I've heard conflicting things.

In my opinion ABS makes you a bit faster (or atleast makes it a lot easier especially if you're using a controller). I drive with a wheel, clutch, h-shifter and no ABS and rarely do I find myself being slower than others directly because of it (I haven't noticed losing any breaking battles atleast). Without abs it's a lot easier to make mistakes but that's half the fun, but even if you set it at 1 you can still pretty much slam the brakes and not have to worry about locking up or spinning.
 
With ABS off, you'll need to adjust the brake balance controller to keep more towards the front. Otherwise, it's extremely easy to lock up.
 
I'm have a fully race spec elise (as per the TeamLotus thread on here somewhere) and the only aids I have at the moment are TC - 5 ABS - 1 and ASR - On. With this set up I can get around deep forest in about 1 min 11 secs. Someone that was in the same car managed to put in a lap of 1 min 9 secs last night and I cant see how I am 2 to 3 seconds slower with my lines. My question is how much difference does it make if I turn off TC, ABS & ASR in terms of seconds per lap?

Cheers guys loving the game btw!

If you insist on using traction control, try setting it to either 1 or 2. Anything higher than that tends to slow you down with most cars.
 
Definately try lowering your traction control to 1 or 2 and taking off ASM. That should give you your missing 2-3 seconds.

Also check your aero downforce. If you can lower that it may give you a few more mph at the top end.
 
Cheers for the replies guys - Last night we had an epic 30 lap race around Deep Forest I turned off TC and dropped ABS to 1 ( ABS off made me lock up everytime I hit the brake ) Could'nt turn off the anti skid recovery thing though - just made it too difficult. Actually guys if you are interested I set up a website for me and some of my mates a couple of days ago for an online racing league, first race was last night but if you are interested check it out there is still a few places left. Thanks for the advice best lap now 01:10:400 - gonna look at the aero downforce and brake balance next although the set up from Team Lotus is pretty good no?

EDIT: If you are interested in the race league check out www.jheg.co.uk
 
Back