I have an idea, just wanted to test the waters

  • Thread starter Thread starter High-Test
  • 19 comments
  • 784 views

Is a weekly engine discussion thread a good idea?


  • Total voters
    19

High-Test

Gnome
Premium
Messages
4,772
United States
Kansas City, KS
Messages
FlyingAGasoline
Why not a "meet the engine thread" type thing, where for one week the topic of discussion is a particular engine, or a comparison of two different ones. THere have been threads about various cars, and about various engines, but many times, the threads where much of the really good engine debates take place get closed because the topic moves away from the car itself.

Why not a one week long thread that will be closed after 7 days for a particular engine?

It could be kinda like the member of the week thread in the rumble strip.

I'm open to suggestions.:)
 
I believe it's Trafalmadorian.

Not a bad idea, but I will say that discussions like that don't always work when cued. They usually evolve out of other ones.
 
Yeah, but when these kinds of discussions get really good they're closed.

Maybe it is Trafalmadore? I haven't read that particualr book by Mr. Vonnegut in a while.

EDIT: Ah! I opened the book, it is Tralfamadore. Anyway, back to the topic at hand.
 
Did the debate in my thread inspire this idea?:)

Good luck though, I like the sound of it, as long as we can keep the discussions clean.
 
Kinda... :sly:

Definitely. The debate in your thread is the reason I started this. We can keep it clean. Granted, I get pretty fired up, but I think we can keep it from being a flame war. (Although, a Stovebolt vs. a 2JZ is an interesting comparison)
 
If anyone has ever been in a thread where an American engine is mentioned, they will know this just means lots of trouble :lol:

Anyone seen one of the Corvette threads? Aich!
 
High-Test
Kinda... :sly:

Definitely. The debate in your thread is the reason I started this. We can keep it clean. Granted, I get pretty fired up, but I think we can keep it from being a flame war. (Although, a Stovebolt vs. a 2JZ is an interesting comparison)

I am always interested in engine discussions but I am only for this idea if it does stay clean, there are many biased people on the internet I would hate to see a thread like this go ugly after for example someone said modern Chev pushrod V8's were dinosaur then someone would bring up Z06, then it would turn into a Z06 vs the world.

I'm not so sure the thread can stay clean.
 
This sounds like a good idea High-Test, I hope it comes to fruition. I may not be able to contribute but it will surely provide interesting reading considering the number of knowlegeable members on GTP.
 
I'm all for it... I'm looking to defend some American muscle to the best of my ability!
 
That would be great. It would be a good chance to learn some intracacies of some engines that maybe we aren't so familiar with. I think a chance to educate or be educated is never a bad idea.
 
Maybe... but knowing tempers, it could become one long flame fest. Yes, I've seen the Corvette threads.
 
I love the idea, but I also agree that it sounds like potential trouble. :lol: You might end up having muscle-heads and turbo-tuners and rev-happy-psychos going after each other in a massive free-for-all.

It isn't just "muscle vs the world" -- many members of all three fandoms hate the others, whether it's because the musclecars are "inefficient," or because the turbocharged cars "cheat" to get their power, or because the rev-happy NA cars are "gutless." :rolleyes:
 
And of course, OHVs are obsolescent, DOHC is too complicated and top heavy... damn, that could go on for days and days... :lol:
 
Yeah, but we still appreciate the engineering that went into them.

Any suggestions for a starting topic? I'd like to start with either the 2JZ or the stovebolt, but I was a bit fired up there, and that could have gotten really ugly really fast. But, It gave each engine its point. The 2JZ put out better power, the stovebolt got better torque, and they got the same gas mileage in cars that only had a 77 puond weight difference.

granted, there are people who think that turbos are the only way, Pushrods are lame, DOHC is top heavy, etc. We can't change that. But, it could still be an interesting thread, nonetheless.

Maybe a mod could watch over it a bit closer than most other threads to keep it from being a flamewar?

I known that there are several people such as Taurine, niky, Firebird, Toronado, etc.. who all are level headed and posess unimaginable knowledge of cars, and could keep a thread like this clean and on topic.
 
My suggestion on where to start would be with engines everyone knows, or atleast should have some knowlege of/with. Something like:

- Honda K-series vs Toyota 2ZZ
- Honda i-VTEC vs Toyota VVT-i vs Mitsubishi MIVEC
- Chevrolet small-block vs Ford small-block
- Chevrolet LS-series V8 vs the World's V8 lineup (lol)
- Mercedes-Benz 5.4L S/C V8 vs Mercedes-Benz/AMG 6.3L V8
- Rover V8 vs Chevrolet small-block (what played a bigger role in the V8 history?)

etc... Something we know about...
 
High-Test
But, It gave each engine its point. The 2JZ put out better power, the stovebolt got better torque, and they got the same gas mileage in cars that only had a 77 puond weight difference.

More torque? You are not talking about the turbo 2JZ then I assume?


YSSMAN
- Chevrolet small-block vs Ford small-block

I like this one, it works well especially for Australians (like in V8 Supercars) .
 
It was the choked up 235 in a 3575 lb biscayne comared with the EFI 2JZ-GE in a 3498 lb SC300.


I guess I'll start up a thread with the first topic, could the RB/2JZ be a viable option?

Thanks for the input, guys.
 
YSSMAN
My suggestion on where to start would be with engines everyone knows, or atleast should have some knowlege of/with. Something like:

- Honda K-series vs Toyota 2ZZ
- Honda i-VTEC vs Toyota VVT-i vs Mitsubishi MIVEC
- Chevrolet small-block vs Ford small-block
- Chevrolet LS-series V8 vs the World's V8 lineup (lol)
- Mercedes-Benz 5.4L S/C V8 vs Mercedes-Benz/AMG 6.3L V8
- Rover V8 vs Chevrolet small-block (what played a bigger role in the V8 history?)

etc... Something we know about...


I am already looking forward to all of those arguements especially the MB V8 arguements. That's just the Benz nut in me though.
 
High-Test
It was the choked up 235 in a 3575 lb biscayne comared with the EFI 2JZ-GE in a 3498 lb SC300.

I see.

High-Test
I guess I'll start up a thread with the first topic, could the RB/2JZ be a viable option?

Thanks for the input, guys.

There seems to be more members interested in V8's around lately so I think a V8 subject would be better IMO.
 
Then I'll post a thread about the most influential V8 design ever.

DFV? Smallblock? Buick/Rover? "Flathead"?

Any suggestions for a topic?
 
Back