I have bought a DexDrive... and it comes with problems!

Mr. CoolFiat

(Banned)
COOLfiat555
I am not a gay XBox noob
Ok... hi guys. FIrst thing: I bought a DexDrive from the Salvation Army (cheap stuff man! I am not poor). ANd yes, I have no idea how to shove a floppy disk... like I am completely baffled by this thing! What do I do? I really need help with this stuff, cause... quite frankly, I think It is an amazing hackers tool. So... yes, if anyone could help me with this DexDrive it would be awesome!
So here are the problems:
I own an Acer Aspire AX1200-B1782A, and I cant put my floppy disk anywhere. So I downloaded some driver from the internet. But I can't find this thing called a COM port? WHere is it? I have no idea how to operate the DexDrive. Thank u guys! Got to Love GTPLANET!! :dopey:

Heh, the good old DexDrive...semi-easy to use and almost totally useless on any computer made after 2003.

Okay, your best bet is to dig that old family computer out of the closet and see if it still works and has the right port for the DexDrive's cord. If not, you could go around to pawn shops or thrift stores (or the Salvation Army) and see if they have a working computer old enough to come with the proper port and a 3.5" disk drive, as well as an older operating system since it won't work with newer ones.

It's pretty easy to use, really...you plug it in (pretty sure the computer should be off...no USB-style plug in and go), put a memory card into the DexDrive's slot, and use the software you already installed to make a copy of the gamesave. I think that's the way it works, I haven't used mine in almost a decade.

Ok... hi guys. FIrst thing: I bought a DexDrive from the Salvation Army (cheap stuff man! I am not poor). ANd yes, I have no idea how to shove a floppy disk... like I am completely baffled by this thing! What do I do? I really need help with this stuff, cause... quite frankly, I think It is an amazing hackers tool. So... yes, if anyone could help me with this DexDrive it would be awesome!
So here are the problems:
I own an Acer Aspire AX1200-B1782A, and I cant put my floppy disk anywhere. So I downloaded some driver from the internet. But I can't find this thing called a COM port? WHere is it? I have no idea how to operate the DexDrive. Thank u guys! Got to Love GTPLANET!! :dopey:

The COM port, would be the old-style 9-pin serial plug (DB9 if I remember correctly). What you would need is an adapter, USB to 9-Pin Serial, you should be able to find one for around $5-$10.

EDIT: I just did a search a found a few under $5, and many over $20, and a few above $40, so be diligent in your search. Anything over $10 is extremely excessively expensive, and such a rip-off it should be illegal (considering the part should only cost a few cents to produce)

Last edited:
The COM port, would be the old-style 9-pin serial plug (DB9 if I remember correctly). What you would need is an adapter, USB to 9-Pin Serial, you should be able to find one for around $5-$10.

EDIT: I just did a search a found a few under $5, and many over $20, and a few above $40, so be diligent in your search. Anything over $10 is extremely excessively expensive, and such a rip-off it should be illegal (considering the part should only cost a few cents to produce)

Thank you guys!

Back