I have found a ray tracing bug in Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter Anatna5
  • 29 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
I have noticed a ray tracing bug in GT 7 and have searched to see if anybody else is having the same issue but haven't found anybody talking about it. Here's what I've found.

When ray tracing is enabled for replays, sometimes a bug occurs where the cars don't show up in the reflections. Their shadows show up in the reflections. If their headlights are on, their headlights show up in the reflections but the actual cars don't. Usually a reboot of the game fixes this but not always. Even if the reboot solves the issue, after about an hour or so the issue returns.

As you can see in this image the car on the left should be reflecting on the car on the right, but only it's headlight is.

1.jpg

I can overide this bug by clicking the "prepare camera" option which suddenly brings the reflection back.

2.jpg

This is how the reflection should be normaly when the ray tracing is working properly.

Anybody else experience this issue? Hopefully the devs are aware of this issue and it will be fixed. It's super distracting to me as ray tracing is one of the key next gen features.

Yeah, I can confirm this bug happened to me once in one of the Ferrari cafe events. I think it was on Monza that the other car wouldn't show up in my blue F430's reflection. Just its shadow as you pointed out.

Yeah, I can confirm this bug happened to me once in one of the Ferrari cafe events. I think it was on Monza that the other car wouldn't show up in my blue F430's reflection. Just its shadow as you pointed out.
Ok so it's not just me. Unfortunately this has been happening to me over and over again. I've done 4 reboots and the problem is still there. Haven't been able to get the ray tracing working for over a day now. Hoping this gets sorted in a future update.

I've seen this posted a few times on the GT sub but without images. I never assumed they were wrong but it's great to see these examples. Maybe tweet them at PD?

I've seen this posted a few times on the GT sub but without images. I never assumed they were wrong but it's great to see these examples. Maybe tweet them at PD?
Thanks I might look into doing that. I'm hoping that PD does look at these communities to become aware of the issues that people are having.

So just to update, I could usually fix this bug by just rebooting the game, but for the past 2 days, rebooting the game had no effect and restarting the PS5 had no effect either. My only option was to delete and reinstall the game. After doing this, the ray tracing worked properly for one replay but then after that the bug was back again. I wonder how prevalent this bug actually is. A lot of people might be experiencing this bug but just not realize it. A quick way to see if ray tracing is working properly is to see if the side mirrors are reflecting on the car body as the car should be reflecting on it'self. If you can't see the side mirrors reflecting on the car body in replays when prioritize ray tracing is enabled then this bug is happening to you.

I can confirm this is happening to myself as well.
I've spent a decent amount to upgrade my Monitors, Webcams, Capture etc so I can record & stream in 4k60fps... and GT7, particularly the replays with Raytracing is simply not working well. 120hz my arse, even at 60fps the replays are skipping frames, & as has been mentioned, bugs pop up with the Raytracing.

I simply think it's a case of the PD trying too much, the PS5 simply can't handle it all.

I don't think we'll see a resolution to this issue until the PS5 Pro is released. Like the original PS5, I've already saved and put money aside so I can jump on it as quickly as possible.

Besides, I personally can't see PD working out all the kinks with GT7's graphics & online issues until then. That's just IMO, though.

I can confirm this is happening to myself as well.
I've spent a decent amount to upgrade my Monitors, Webcams, Capture etc so I can record & stream in 4k60fps... and GT7, particularly the replays with Raytracing is simply not working well. 120hz my arse, even at 60fps the replays are skipping frames, & as has been mentioned, bugs pop up with the Raytracing.

I simply think it's a case of the PD trying too much, the PS5 simply can't handle it all.

I don't think we'll see a resolution to this issue until the PS5 Pro is released. Like the original PS5, I've already saved and put money aside so I can jump on it as quickly as possible.

Besides, I personally can't see PD working out all the kinks with GT7's graphics & online issues until then. That's just IMO, though.
I'm hoping that this is just a bug that has occured with one of their updates because I didn't have this issue for the first 3 weeks of playing. Anyway the more people that become aware of this the better the chance of PD realising it's there. The frustrating thing is that there's no way to communicate with the devs to make them aware of these issues. It is a big issue because it's one of the key features of the next gen version. The only chance we have is that they read these forums. Wish there was a better way.

What does ray tracing mean in terms of design?
I'm not sure what you mean Chris30

Nah, the console has only been out for a year and most devs aside from Insomniac have barely tapped into the system at all, especially when we're still in this cross-gen period.

It's a bug. Nothing more than that. If the PS5 really couldn't handle it, then you'd see frames dropping to like 25 or so.

What does ray tracing mean in terms of design?
To simulate the behavior of lighting in real life. Stuff like global illumination, accurate shadowing, and the use of reflections without resorting to tricks like screen space reflections, etc. Basically the holy grail of real time rendering that everyone's been chasing for a long time now.

I have noticed a ray tracing bug in GT 7 and have searched to see if anybody else is having the same issue but haven't found anybody talking about it. Here's what I've found.

When ray tracing is enabled for replays, sometimes a bug occurs where the cars don't show up in the reflections. Their shadows show up in the reflections. If their headlights are on, their headlights show up in the reflections but the actual cars don't. Usually a reboot of the game fixes this but not always. Even if the reboot solves the issue, after about an hour or so the issue returns.

As you can see in this image the car on the left should be reflecting on the car on the right, but only it's headlight is.

View attachment 1133590

I can overide this bug by clicking the "prepare camera" option which suddenly brings the reflection back.

View attachment 1133591

This is how the reflection should be normaly when the ray tracing is working properly.

Anybody else experience this issue? Hopefully the devs are aware of this issue and it will be fixed. It's super distracting to me as ray tracing is one of the key next gen features.
I’m yet to understand their reasoning for having two quality modes considering that Raytracing is only available for replays and the photo mode. It should be on by default on the PS5.

Unfortunately this game is still cross-gen and we will only see what the PS5 is really capable of doing with a GT game on GT8 on the PS6.

I’m yet to understand their reasoning for having two quality modes considering that Raytracing is only available for replays and the photo mode. It should be on by default on the PS5.

Unfortunately this game is still cross-gen and we will only see what the PS5 is really capable of doing with a GT game on GT8 on the PS6.
Yes definitely held back by being cross-gen.

Since both modes are fixed native 4K (whether it's a waste of resources or not is subjective. I for one do not think it's a waste), it's pretty obvious they want to prioritize resolution. Thing is, you can't have both fixed 4K and 60fps with ray tracing on as even the highest end PCs struggle to do so, so... hence the two modes.

This is what I've noticed on my PS5. First image here is with RTX mode on. Second image without. Something is wrong in game with the shaders possibly. I have another example from Scapes. Scapes is so bad with some metallic paints that I've resorted to only taking photos from Replays where the lighting is better.

17fca593fc766-screenshotUrl.jpg
17fca5917dd23-screenshotUrl.jpg

This is what I've noticed on my PS5. First image here is with RTX mode on. Second image without. Something is wrong in game with the shaders possibly. I have another example from Scapes. Scapes is so bad with some metallic paints that I've resorted to only taking photos from Replays where the lighting is better.

View attachment 1134081View attachment 1134082
Does choosing prioritise ray tracing or prioritise framerate affect the framerate in the garage? It's something I haven't tried. If framerate changes then for sure it's enabling and disabling ray tracing based on the option you choose. I didn't know that had an effect on the garage renders.

Ok so another update. Ray tracing is back again after another reboot. I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts lol.
I know a lot of people will think that ray tracing is no big deal but I think it realy does add an extra layer to the visuals. it's like having a sub woofer for your sound system. You might become accustomed to it after a while and not notice it, but you will definitely notice it when it's gone, just like the dual sense controller. I really hope PD knows about this issue and are trying to fix it.

This might be known bug but my Cars look crap in GT Auto with RT on (all fuzzy and blurry in detailed areas, and pain flecks look a mess) but with RT off its really sharp and looks nice (but with RT).

This might be known bug but my Cars look crap in GT Auto with RT on (all fuzzy and blurry in detailed areas, and pain flecks look a mess) but with RT off its really sharp and looks nice (but with RT).
Not sure. Can't make a judgement without an image. Could you post an image?

So this is what we want. Notice the car being reflected on the other car but also notice the side mirror being reflected on the car body. The car is being reflected on it'self. That's the easiest way to see if things are working correctly.
Gran Turismo™ 7_20220407011241.jpg
Gran Turismo™ 7_20220407011352.jpg

And it's gone again! Jesus PD, this is obviously a simple bug. Please make sure one of your key next gen features is working properly. I still think a lot of people are having this issue and just not noticing it. It can be difficult to spot if you're not actively looking for it.
Gran Turismo™ 7_20220407012802.jpg

All I did was exit the replay and re enter it and the RT was gone!

View attachment 1134081View attachment 1134082
Oh yeah, noticed this from day one. There's definitely something weird going on with the RT in the menu scenes, making everything look blurry. Probably another rendering bug that is more persistent than reflections not showing up in replays.

Does choosing prioritise ray tracing or prioritise framerate affect the framerate in the garage? It's something I haven't tried. If framerate changes then for sure it's enabling and disabling ray tracing based on the option you choose. I didn't know that had an effect on the garage renders.
It does cap the framerate to 30fps in the menus.

Oh yeah, noticed this from day one. There's definitely something weird going on with the RT in the menu scenes, making everything look blurry. Probably another rendering bug that is more persistent than reflections not showing up in replays.

It does cap the framerate to 30fps in the menus.
Oh ok I didn't know it had an effect on the garage renders.

Ok so I think that there is a possibility that the April 7th update has actually fixed this issue! I've played for about 5 hours after the update and haven't run into this bug at all! Life is good again! So let's hope that this issue has been resolved.

And the issue is back AGAIN!! After working perfectly for a couple of days after the April 7 update, the bug is suddenly back. All I can say is that I'm very dissapointed in PD. This is something that should NOT be happening with your key next gen feature. And the funny thing is that they probably don't even know that this issue exists because there is no way to actually communicate with them. Again, very dissapointed.

Last edited:
I've found if I do a custom race using all my own vehicles, some of the cars take a while to load in the replay and just display as white silhouettes.

Wow that's a new one. Haven't seen that before.
It's like the way PS2 games were when things wouldn't load until you were closer to them. Not something I'd expect on PS5. The thing is, it can be any car even ones with basic liverys

It's like the way PS2 games were when things wouldn't load until you were closer to them. Not something I'd expect on PS5. The thing is, it can be any car even ones with basic liverys
I just wish they'd sort these basic issues out. It's really distracting from the game.

Ok so I've actually found out what causes this bug to initiate. If you select the music replay mode, it will cause this bug to initiate and it will remain until you reboot the game. As long as you select the normal replay mode this bug won't initiate. That's a shame because I prefer the more dynamic views of music replay. I always select music replay and that's why this bug is constantly happening to me. At least now I now that the normal replay mode will allow this next gen feature to work properly!

I hope PD is aware of this bug and will fix it.

Last edited:
Back