I have the solution for G27 embarrassing axial play

France
Dijon, France
URBANCOCKPIT-1
Hi everybody,

I was starting to find very strange having ennoying axial play on my G27 wheel since the beginning.
So I opened the beast ans discover that !

So by seeing what you see on this picture, I was absolutly not surprised by this gap between the bearing and the plate that support the 2 small electric motors.

lBwaag.jpg

Seems that "these small areas pressed with a special tool" have not be efficient in my case...
Thanks for the quality control, Mr Logitech !

7vim8z.jpg

So I removed the 2 motors to have more place for making more deep marks in the plate around the hole... Dont go too hard, you will have to work more with the file ;)
So take your time and try several times until it is slightly difficult to put the bearing back in the hole.

c5Q5f8.jpg

... and here we go... easy job finally !

GVcju5.jpg

So if, for those who are concerned, this axial play is bothering you, go for it, it is easy to do and what a difference after that. I simply rediscover my wheel now !

Hope my little article will help some of you guys. See you on the track.

And sorry for my so-so english writing !

Very nice write up and idea. I shimmed the slider gear at the base of the steering shaft,greased the gear and the main round gears. Helped alot with the "clacking" sound,about 50% quieter. I don't have any pictures,but I could get some if your interested. I still can't believe there isn't a dedicated G27/logitech,modding,or maintenance thread.

I
Your pics will be welcome, very interesting because I have a hard time to see what you're talking about...
I haven't forgot about you. It will be this weekend before I have time to take it apart and get pics. But basically I took it apart to try another mod and realized that slide gear had play in it. It's the slid gear that meshes with that small gear in between the motors(it's shown in your second picture). It has a spring on one side for tension but it doesn't really work. The physical stops also run off that slide gear,you need to center it upon reassembly to keep it even.

Another thing,if your wheel is older or has had a lot of use,you should also check your encoder wheel and pick up circiut board screws. You can search google for info on that.

Back