I have to say....

I'm disappointed in the online drifting community in Forza 3. I miss the days of GT3/GT4 when people would use low power cars to challenge themselves and actually had to use technique to drift well. Now everyone uses R Class cars maxed out on mods. Most won't bother tuning theirs, they just buy tuning setups instead. I miss the community we had going here.

Well, well, well...

Been a long time, Battle Stage.

You might remember me more as my previous user-name (Silviadrifter). I can remember being a part of something called "Monkey D". Nice to see you around.

On the topic at hand...

I agree with your general assessment. Attempting to drift in the "open" online lobbies is an exercise in frustration. You either get the "drift by any means necessary" crowd, or your kicked out of the lobby as soon as they realize you may actually have some skill at drifting.

That being said... If you invite some friends to a private session, it will alleviate all of those concerns. Yet, you should be able to create a session and allow it to be public (was possible in Forza 2).

;)

Are you Ashely Schaefer at FM.net? You posted the same thread there. I'll just say I agree with what most of them are saying. Both take technique, don't lump everyone who likes to use S class high Hp cars with the noobs.

Are you Ashely Schaefer at FM.net? You posted the same thread there. I'll just say I agree with what most of them are saying. Both take technique, don't lump everyone who likes to use S class high Hp cars with the noobs.

I haven't seen the other thread, so I cannot comment on that. However, my own experience is that 90% of the people I have come up against, in the open lobbies, have been of the sort that are only interested in getting the highest points possible, and have little interest in performing smooth balanced drifts.

This is somewhat to do with the in-game points system being inherently flawed from the get go. If you did what most people are doing online in a real life drift competition you would certainly not be pulling in massive scores. The system just cannot accurately "judge" a "good" drift, as such is more subjective than a CPU is going to be able to discern. This is why there is still a live panel of judges at drift competitions, even with the advent (and inclusion) of electronic monitoring devices.

;)

S class cars I think are more realistic in my mind as far as what you'll see in pro level drifting. I was more refering to noobs using R Class cars with insane amounts of power aimlessly sliding all over the place. The drifting community we had going here was great, but sadly it's dead now.

S class cars I think are more realistic in my mind as far as what you'll see in pro level drifting. I was more referring to noobs using R Class cars with insane amounts of power aimlessly sliding all over the place. The drifting community we had going here was great, but sadly it's dead now.

It's only dead because there is no current GT game. When GT5 arrives, there will be a healthy Drift Sub Forum just as there was with GT3/GT4.

As I said above, the "sliding all over the place" is (to a large degree) due to the flawed points system. If you reward someone for doing something, they are going to keep doing it (Lab rat syndrome). The system in GT5:P isn't much better either. Honestly, I would be happy if they scrapped the points system altogether. I do all of my drifting outside of the "drift mode". I don't need numbers rolling across my screen to tell me how good my drift is.

;)

Not to mention Forza has uber grip tires....and in order to get a whole lot of points people also need those car. Not saying there arnt any B,C, or A class ones that cant compete, just that's its easier with the S and R :P

Not to mention Forza has uber grip tires....and in order to get a whole lot of points people also need those car. Not saying there arnt any B,C, or A class ones that cant compete, just that's its easier with the S and R :P

I routinely beat people online with my B and A class drift cars. I've said it before, and I'll say it until people start listening....

Power means nothing!

It's all about the power to weight ratio as paired with the right tire combo.

I can drift very large corners with a B class car because I have the correct tire/hp combo. If you have an S class car on stock tires, you're not going to have enough grip to maintain a long drift. If you have a B class car on the same tires (or street tires) you are going to have a much easier time.

This is something most people online do not understand. We had similar discussions about this same subject back in the GT3 days (battle_stage will no doubt remember that).

;)

I've actually felt power is more of a requirement to drift well in Forza. Its hard to flick a car, which I'll again blame mostly on the steering assist not letting you put enough motion into it, as well as a general lack of lateral weight transfer. So I haven't really enjoyed drifting in Forza so much as in GT (particularly GT3, where it was fun, challenging, but not stupid like GT4).

I've actually felt power is more of a requirement to drift well in Forza. Its hard to flick a car, which I'll again blame mostly on the steering assist not letting you put enough motion into it, as well as a general lack of lateral weight transfer. So I haven't really enjoyed drifting in Forza so much as in GT (particularly GT3, where it was fun, challenging, but not stupid like GT4).

It's not a "requirement" at all. If anything drifting is easier in Forza than in the GT series. You can transfer weight just fine, there just isn't enough of a visual cue to show you are doing so.

I can't comment on the steering assist, as I use a wheel (Fanatec 911 Turbo S)...

;)

Well particularly in low speed stuff, like the uphill section of Fujimi Kaido (forward). Its hard to just flick it around those small turns without giving in a bunch of power for the rear to break away. Again, the wheel is probably better there.

I wish i had the fanatec wheel instead of G25 :ill:. I hate to admit it but i use a lot of e-brake in forza 3 or power-over. With the controller the feint or braking drift entry sometimes doesn't work out so well. Most of my Fun drift cars are a-s class cars. Usually in the 4-500hp range because you can keep the wheels spinning easily in low speed/tight turns and you have a much larger power-band to play around with. Is it necessary? no, but it sure is fun. I haven't played forza in quite some while, the controller gets boring quickly for regular races, Drifting is the only fun i have with forza 3. I can't wait for Gt5 as i will be drifting all day and night with the G25, i want to make an e-brake set-up for those corrections to make tandem/following a bit easier. I will definitely be active whenever gt5 decides to roll around. :)👍

I've been having more luck drifting lower powered cars because I've finally got used to using the clutch on the controller. Clutch kick FTW! I'm able to keep speed up higher instead like before I was always using the e-brake to start a chain and it slowed me down a lot.

I've been having more luck drifting lower powered cars because I've finally got used to using the clutch on the controller. Clutch kick FTW! I'm able to keep speed up higher instead like before I was always using the e-brake to start a chain and it slowed me down a lot.

Dunno How you do it....then again I dont know how my friend does it automatic.(then again he doesn't beat me):lol:

Sorry if I'm bringing this up from the dead but I am one of the more "seasoned" Forza drifters and wanted to share a slightly different perspective.

I came from a team called DIS (doing it sideways) which made a pretty good name on FM2 and carried it to FM3 until interest in the game inevitably died.

I just wanted to say, I think upon the release of GT5, I think you are going to see this community blow up like no other. From new drifters to experienced and to Forza drifters. I think the community was pretty strong during FM2's prime. I'm glad I was there while it lasted.

I made several drifting videos inspired by my team and other influences which I am proud of. I have a passion for cars, drifting and film. I plan to do the same on GT5 when I make my switch from XBL to PSN. =)

Cheers to all!

I sure am looking forward to that Boppinz. "Light'em up" was, and still is, probably one the best, if not the best Forza video out there, period.

On topic, even if it might be outdated by now: I used to drift mostly A-/S-Class Cars. This doesn't necessarily mean that they had tons of power, just the Handling and Drivetrain Upgrades caused these "high" classes. On the other hand there were people in B-Class Cars with close to 800hp, positive front camber and slick tires. Going against those people in the online lobbies hunting for points really isn't fun. Especially since some of them take things way to seriously. The "real" community would be the Driftlounge on FM.Net. It's died out a bit, but they've still got Grassroots Competitions, Team Battles and all sorts of Drift related activities going. That's were i made some new friends and had private sessions, which is way more fun than public lobbies :)

On topic, even if it might be outdated by now: I used to drift mostly A-/S-Class Cars. This doesn't necessarily mean that they had tons of power, just the Handling and Drivetrain Upgrades caused these "high" classes. On the other hand there were people in B-Class Cars with close to 800hp, positive front camber and slick tires. Going against those people in the online lobbies hunting for points really isn't fun. Especially since some of them take things way to seriously. The "real" community would be the Driftlounge on FM.Net. It's died out a bit, but they've still got Grassroots Competitions, Team Battles and all sorts of Drift related activities going. That's were i made some new friends and had private sessions, which is way more fun than public lobbies :)

???

I hope you mean "negative camber" It wouldn't make any sense to use positive camber, especially for a drift setup. Most all vehicles start with a little negative camber stock.

I stay away from the drift hoppers on Forza 3. No one I have come up against knows how to drift. They just do whatever they can to get higher points (one of the reasons why I despise drift points systems in video games). It's quite ironic that they take FM3 so seriously, when they aren't really taking the sport of drifting seriously.

Some of this could be solved if they kept the online system how it was in FM2 (i.e private lobbies that can be set to allow people to join)

As it is, the only way I have any fun drifting is either hotlapping or in the off chance one of my friends is playing Forza and feels like drifting. Not ideal.

;)

No no noooo, he does mean positive camber. Some people on that game seem to think it gives super uber angle and millions of drift points lol

Oh and Xero2Sixty this is SFX Fadam if you havent already guessed lol, i'll add you on PS3 when i get it if you dont mind /offtopic

Yeah, i actually ment positive camber. The Points System, TrueSkill Rankings and the changed Lobby System might have brought a lot of new "drifters" around, but almost half (if not even more) the people that drifted on FM2 regularly just don't play anymore. I'll just have to learn how to drift on GT5P before the full game is released. It's a bit different that what i was used to on FM3 :)

@Fadam: I don't mind at all

Sorry if I'm bringing this up from the dead but I am one of the more "seasoned" Forza drifters and wanted to share a slightly different perspective.

I came from a team called DIS (doing it sideways) which made a pretty good name on FM2 and carried it to FM3 until interest in the game inevitably died.

I just wanted to say, I think upon the release of GT5, I think you are going to see this community blow up like no other. From new drifters to experienced and to Forza drifters. I think the community was pretty strong during FM2's prime. I'm glad I was there while it lasted.

I made several drifting videos inspired by my team and other influences which I am proud of. I have a passion for cars, drifting and film. I plan to do the same on GT5 when I make my switch from XBL to PSN. =)

Cheers to all!
Wow I remember at the end of FM2 how the drama lounge carried on about how garbage GT was and hopw it didn't compare to Forza, now you're all jumping ship just like I said you all would, funny that. Just don't bring that joke you call a drift lounge here please, this site ain't for soap stars.👍

Wow I remember at the end of FM2 how the drama lounge carried on about how garbage GT was and hopw it didn't compare to Forza, now you're all jumping ship just like I said you all would, funny that. Just don't bring that joke you call a drift lounge here please, this site ain't for soap stars.👍

First of all, I don't think GT4 compares favorably to FM2 especially when it comes to driving physics and even the most ardent GT fans are aware of the flaw.

And since GT5 will be the first GT with a full online feature, I don't feel that anyone should be excluded regardless what "joke and soap stars" they will bring to the game. God knows how many soap stars are already playing GT and are rearing to make their online debut :) We should be happy that some Forza fans are willing to try GT5 and saying "I told you so" can be a turn-off to anyone. But if I misread your intention, I aplogise.

Wow, Battle Stage and DR on FM2? I was on there for a bit with a few of my friends. I always drifted with alot of kids who just tuned their postive camber with high horsepower though I did keep up with a small 86 and around 300hp

Last edited:
meh, public lobbies of forza are full of people trying to get the trueskill rank up and ruining it for the rest, sometimes you go in there and there are some people that try hard to drift... but others ruin it. that why us over at SFX tend to stay in privete lobbies together with freinds too. which is very fun, mainly if cro's there. hahahaha

Wow, I haven't been on these boards in a long time :), I just got a wheel for Forza 3, although have been playing it for over a month or so.

Add me please for some private drift lobbies, I can't stand going into open lobbies.

For those who are also on the Forza Forums, GT: x MiNdChArGeR x

I'm disappointed in the online drifting community in Forza 3. I miss the days of GT3/GT4 when people would use low power cars to challenge themselves and actually had to use technique to drift well. Now everyone uses R Class cars maxed out on mods. Most won't bother tuning theirs, they just buy tuning setups instead. I miss the community we had going here.

ha ha your looking the wrong place for good drifters when it comes to online multilayer drifting. the noobs use R class cars because they feel it makes them good. go to the Forzamotorsport.net drifting lounge forums, there you will find the skilled drifters who use the lower BHP/ PI cars. you will also find that Points don't mean squat in the REAL forza Drift community they are all about tandem/battle, skill in general. anyone can clutch stall their car down the Kaido mountain and do just as well as the "try hard" who uses their R3/R2 car. Most the drifters use Private lobbies, just go onto the forums and ask and people will be happy to drift with you

Yeah the racing community for Forza 3 isn't very great and when you have a nice drift going the wheel always snaps when you are trying to counter steer, you can see this on your wheel icon on the corner

Back