I just helped a 12 year old with GT4 over the phone...

  • Thread starter Thread starter VQuick
  • 22 comments
  • 1,209 views
Messages
763
For 48 minutes, with no PS2 of my own to guide him with. Fortunately, I have GTPlanet! Thanks to Jordan for such a great site! 👍

Anyway, now I think I'm pretty qualified for a tech support job over the phone.lol First, the kid wants to know why he can't get into the GT World Championship. He thinks he finished everything. I go to the site resources and talk him through the Beginner and Professional halls, and sure enough, he missed the Autumn Ring Reverse race in MR Challenge.lol He B-specced it.

Now he wants to enter the GTWC. I told him he needs a good car, and ask him if he has 25%. If so, he can enter the El Capitan Enduro, win the Minolta Toyota, and have a good car. But no, the kid is at 21.7%, wants to use his Gameshark and just buy a car. :ouch:

Then he changes his mind and say 'So how would I do it the hard way?' You mean the right way?lol I told him to do a couple of the tarmac rallies(should be easier for him than dirt), then check JP and US halls for events, to get his percentage up. He asked me about 1k Miles in Euro hall, but knowing his short attention span and aversion to the 'Ring, I told him to pass on it.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with, I raced this kid with a fully-tuned(474hp) S3-shod Opera S2000. He had a fully-tuned(800hp+) Lotus Esprit with a 70-shot and R5 tires. He beat me by less than two seconds in a 2 lap battle at Trial Mountain, and that was after ramming me in the final corner. :grumpy:

He's supposed to call me back in a while, after he's done more races. I'm scared. :nervous:
 
Ok, err great job! :)👍
 
He hasn't called me back yet, but I'm still scared about what he will ask next. Any ideas on more advice I can give him? I think he might still be at that impressionable stage and think that just because I'm older(26) that I know everything.lol
 
*fingerwag* now, now, If he wanted to use a 'Shark, you should've let him. However, it seems he had the character to step up and do things the way Kaz intended. Kudos, kid!
 
Tell him to chill out on the throttle and learn to use the brakes properly. A 800bhp car on R5 should have smoked you bad. lol
 
:lol: Great story! Kids these days...always looking for short cuts. First time I've seen GTPlant's guides used for a Tech Support Phone call. Did you charge $3.00 a minute?

:cheers:
 
rsmithdrift
Tell him to chill out on the throttle and learn to use the brakes properly. A 800bhp car on R5 should have smoked you bad. lol
I know.lol Funny thing is, I didn't even realize until later that my S2000 was on S3s! I thought I was running race tires too. Felt a little better after finding that out.

Jim-I didn't really tell him not to use the 'Shark...it's just that I felt he might as well do the enduro and get the car that way, since he'd probably want to finish the Enduro Hall at some point anyway.

I told the kid about the tire wear thing and putting front R5s/rear R3s on the Minolta to even things up when he gets to the GTWC. Sounded like maybe he understood, too! He'll probably forget though, and I'll have to explain it again. :ouch:
 
I doesn't matter if he did it in B-spec or not... I've beat the game using b-spec at every possible point...


Next, he will probablly ask what he should do next.. Or what car he should buy. My sugestion, tell him to tune his cars up, and do single car events. At the dealers. We will gain in % and get more cars.
 
Master_Yoda
I doesn't matter if he did it in B-spec or not... I've beat the game using b-spec at every possible point...


Next, he will probablly ask what he should do next.. Or what car he should buy. My sugestion, tell him to tune his cars up, and do single car events. At the dealers. We will gain in % and get more cars.
Agreed. Also good work bud with helping other GT4 newbies.👍 :)
 
Why not just point him to gtplanet? Tell him to read the guides and stickies first though.
 
Or do that too.:sly:
 
Master_Yoda
I already said that :D

When I came to the topic your post wasn't there. I went for a can, came back and posted my reply and only then was your post there. I wasn't intentionally echo'ing what you said. Great minds think alike :lol:
 
amp88
When I came to the topic your post wasn't there. I went for a can, came back and posted my reply and only then was your post there. I wasn't intentionally echo'ing what you said. Great minds think alike :lol:
Hmm... anyways, has he called back yet?
 
Telling him about GT Planet will mean he wont have to call you, which you could say is better, and instead of just you giving help, 88,000 people can help him.
 
Or 88,000 people can give him snyde "what's wrong with you, use the search" remarks like this one :D Besides, 12 year olds shouldn't be anywhere near the internet. Speaking of which, VQuick, is this 12 year old a relative of yours, or is there some other reason why he calls you on the phone all the time? Hmmm...

I'm just being a jerk, ignore me :D
 
JTSnooks
Or 88,000 people can give him snyde "what's wrong with you, use the search" remarks like this one :D Besides, 12 year olds shouldn't be anywhere near the internet. Speaking of which, VQuick, is this 12 year old a relative of yours, or is there some other reason why he calls you on the phone all the time? Hmmm...

I'm just being a jerk, ignore me :D
Dude, I have the exact same car in your avatar, same paint, wing. And I took a photo like that at Autumn Ring today. :scared: :lol:
I'd direct him to the site as well, but if you're making money... keep the calls coming.:lol:
 
We can make a hotline and charge $3.00 a minute! 💡 I smell money! :drool:

Tell the kid about GTplanet, we need all the members we can get! 👍
 
RICHARDO
We can make a hotline and charge $3.00 a minute! 💡 I smell money! :drool:

Tell the kid about GTplanet, we need all the members we can get! 👍

Quick Jordan! Create a Chat Hotline on here so you can charge newbies for the more experienced players to help them. ;) I think you could give everyone free Premium Memberships with the extra income. :lol:
 
The kid called me again yesterday. I had a bad signal on my cell, and couldn't understand a word he said. Saved, thanks to Verizon! :sly:

Anyway, I told him and his older brother(he's 18 now) about GT Planet last year, and they probably still haven't come here. Can't help it if they won't listen to me.

I'm not knocking B-spec by any means. That's how I got through quite a bit of the game, to my current 87%. Only thing is, the kid doesn't really have any driving skill, either. I want to drive against him and whup on his R5 equipped cars with some other S3 shod machines I've built(especially at the 'Ring. He hates that place.lol), but I don't feel like playing bumper cars either.
 
Ebiggs
Quick Jordan! Create a Chat Hotline on here so you can charge newbies for the more experienced players to help them. ;) I think you could give everyone free Premium Memberships with the extra income. :lol:

No way I'm staying up until stupid'o'clock to speak to US teens.


Unless they're girls and over the age-of-consent. I'm not going to get suckered into that whole "grooming" thing again.
 
Back