I just joined iRacing

• Thread starter Zylem
  • 11 comments
United States
United States
UsedToBeZylem
UsedToBeZylem
Hey everyone. In hopes of getting over my anxiety of online racing, I decided to jump in the deep end head first. I subscribed to iRacing and have been practicing there. It has a different feel compared to Gran Turismo but I am getting the hang of it. I plan to enter my first race this evening. Some folks here have messaged me after my post about dealing with anxiety playing online games with tips and encouragement. Some mentioned updating them as I go. So I’m curious, would you all enjoy reading about the progress of someone new to online racing and how I am dealing with my anxiety? If so, what kind of things would you like to hear about?

I hope to see you all on the track, I’ll be the guy in the back, trying to remember where he left his keys lol.

Mental health is rightly a hot topic at the moment so yes I would encourage you to share your experiences.

And don't worry - your anxiety will likely soon be eclipsed by the rage you feel after being punted at T1 Monza for the 5th time in the same day! ;-)

Yeah I’ve spent more time in practice mode with the MX-5 then actually racing. I am enjoying the feel of the sim but I still don’t feel comfortable in the live races. I’m pretty slow right now, just focusing on keeping my incidents as low as possible. I want to get quicker and start enjoying playing online more so I’ll stick with it. I’ll keep you all updated here. Who knows, one day I may look back on these posts with a smile.

For those that may be curious about my progress is there anything I should be sharing? Lap times and/or finishes maybe?

Pretty sure you can join official races as a ghost car ?
I cant remember how to do it, but think you join as a spectator and join the grid as a ghost car, nobody can see you and you cant make contact with any other cars so its a good way to see first hand how drivers react and how races tend to play out. It wont fully help you get comfortable in traffic for proper online races but you can definitely learn a thing or two ghosting around with real drivers in official races.

Dont be too hung up on mistakes or anything, we've all been there before, I think as long as you own up to it and offer apologies generally most people will be OK.

Dont be afraid to dive in, you will learn better and faster just by doing it... And its rookie class, most will all be in the same boat as you trying to figure everything out.

It's completely normal to be worried. You want to get out there and start getting used to it, but do so in a way that isn't too terrifying and scares yourself off.

I recommend:
1. Starting from the pit lane. This will get you out of the scrum that is starting the race, and give you a few laps of clear air to find your rhythm before you start engaging with other drivers. There's enough going on in a race without giving yourself a panic attack by the first corner.
2. Drive for safety, not for position. Don't try to win, don't force passes, just be out on the track. If that means backing off and just sitting behind someone for a while, do that. They will probably mess up, and even if they don't you get to learn how they're racing by watching them.
3. Just keep driving. Eventually you will mess up, get punted, whatever. Learning to deal with that is part of it to, so get yourself back to the pits, take your repairs and keep going.

Your goal is to get to the end of the race. That's all. If you get there in last place, you have succeeded. Give yourself a nice drink or something. Then do it again.

If you're able to do the race distance in a practice session without going off the track then you're ready for real races. It's not about speed or racecraft, those will come naturally. But first you need to be comfortable on the track around other people, and the only way that happens is to practice it. Drive as slow as you need to, but do get out there. And remember that most of the other people are probably just as uncomfortable as you are.

That's how I got myself started. I spent a lot of time at the back until I was comfortable enough on track to start pushing harder. At the moment I'm trying to do the same with laddering in Starcraft II - it's hard to push yourself to go play a competitive game when you know your skills aren't what you want them to be, but sometimes you just have to get out there and get some losses under your belt.

1. Starting from the pit lane.

Sry but dislike!

Race normal or dont race at all. This Staring from pits nonsens should be punished by iR imo.

I never started from the pits and had no bad experience at all. Just practice the car and track until you are sure you can handle it in a race and then race and dont overthink the iRating + or - you can get. Best way is to forget about the rating at all. And if something bad happens to you just get over it and do the next race. It's not worth getting upset about it. Just move on.

Last edited:
Race normal or dont race at all. This Staring from pits nonsens should be punished by iR imo.
Firstly, you're starting from 30 seconds behind everyone else so it already gets "punished" by iRating loss - you can't finish as high as you would have being able to start on the track.

Secondly, are you going to punish people qualifying at the back too? People who intentionally pull over at the start to let other players beat them to the first corner accident? Someone who pulls over on the straight to let a faster driver past? Anyone who doesn't drive absolutely as fast as they possibly can?

At what point do you allow people to start and drive the race however they want?

I don't get why it matters to you at all. If other people are starting from the pits it's a free place for you. What advantage is there to you making them race in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable?

It's even funnier that this has been standard rookie advice for more than a decade. It has worked for thousands of people, both to get used to being on track and just to boost your licence out of Rookie.
I never started from the pits and had no bad experience at all. Just practice the car and track until you are sure you can handle it in a race and then race and dont overthink the iRating + or - you can get. Best way is to forget about the rating at all. And if something bad happens to you just get over it and do the next race. It's not worth getting upset about it. Just move on.
But it's not about handling the car and track, it's about learning to drive around other people. Which can be stressful if you're the sort of person who cares whether you're negatively impacting someone else's experience. Some people are able to just jump in and not give a **** how many other people they crash into, some of us are not like that.

Nor is it about iRating. Starting in the pits doesn't gain you iRating. It's about avoiding the part of the race that is the most complex with the most cars in close proximity and with the highest probability of an accident. Again, some people are happy to just jump in and have a crash. Others would prefer to learn racing in less stressful circumstances and work up to the more tricky situations.

Absolutely people should not focus on iRating at the start, but I never said they should. I definitely said learning to deal with accidents was part of it.
3. Just keep driving. Eventually you will mess up, get punted, whatever. Learning to deal with that is part of it to, so get yourself back to the pits, take your repairs and keep going.
I just don't think getting into more accidents than necessary is part of it. In order to train at any task I find it's much easier if you're enjoying yourself. Getting crashed out in the first 30 seconds isn't fun, and you're then dealing with whatever your emotional response is for the rest of the race. That's a racing skill, but it's not one that a rookie needs to learn to deal with right now.

Your response suggests you've not had to deal with serious anxiety. Good for you. But the advice of "just do it and get over it" isn't actually helpful. Giving people ways to mitigate that anxiety is, and giving them structured tasks in which they can succeed and grow helps too. Just because someone doesn't learn the way that you learn doesn't mean that you should punish them for it.

I think its perfectly OK to start your first few races from the pits, I guess it kinda helps get nerves out of the way when you first dive into online racing ... But I would say you should definitely limit how many times you do it though, there comes a time when you really need to know to start a race with others around you.

For me when I started iRacing I did my first 5-6 starts from the pits, but quickly realized when I caught the back of the pack that it was (maybe) more dangerous trying to get past slower drivers than battle them right from the start line. I found that these guys at the back of the pack were far more aggressive than what they should be, kinda trying to drive like they battling for a WC rather than driving to make it out of rookie league ??

I think one of the things that helped me a lot was actually managing my qualifying pace (I know this sounds strange but bear with me)... Generally in Qualy everyone is trying to set their PB times yeah, you have to use this to your advantage... In your practice sessions figure out what your general race pace would be, then set a Qualy time that pretty much matches your race pace, that way when you are lined up on the grid you can be fairly confident the people behind you wont be able to keep up (due to them sitting on the grid with a hotlap time), and the ones in front of you could well drive away from you as they can actually set times that you might not be able to manage yet.
In theory this should put you in a really good position to start the race... Drive away from the slower ones behind you and let you learn from the ones in front of you. (learn from them if they are faster than you, or put you in a clearer track position to set up overtakes if your race pace is actually faster than they can manage)

This isn't a tactic you can carry throughout your entire iRacing career though, as you climb the ranks you definitely want to be lifting your Qualy pace...You start getting matched with more equally skilled drivers, so you definitely want start in front of them as overtaking can start getting harder.

Imo starting from pits is a bad habit and should not be an advice :P

Rookie classes exists to learn to race with others so dont be shy just do it. Seat time ftw.

From the iR Beginners Guide:

2. Getting on Track 2.1 – Practice, Practice, Practice While everyone is eager to get right into a race as soon as they join, it is never a good idea. There are many people who take sim racing very seriously and jumping right into a race with no experience is always a recipe for disaster. It is always best to run as many practice sessions as you need to be able to run clean, consistent laps before joining a race. It may seem like a chore to run lap after lap, but it will pay off in the end. It is also a good idea to join online practice sessions so that you can learn how to race around other cars, and potentially get assistance from other people if you are struggling.

2.3– Qualifying, is it necessary? It might not always be the best idea to qualify before running races, especially if racing is new to you. Starting in the middle of the grid with cars on every side can be hairy to say the least, especially in a race full of Rookies. Starting in the back might be a good idea if racing around other cars in close quarters is a new experience. Remember that Qualifying 14 sessions count towards Safety Rating, so don’t run one until you are comfortable enough to not get many incident points.

So I would rather start from the back of the field instead from the pits.

Last edited:
So I would rather start from the back of the field instead from the pits.
Is there any meaningful difference between starting at the back and starting in the pits? You're at the back of the pack either way, which is the entire point. It seems like elitist ******** to be worrying about whether you drive that first hundred metres on the track or down pit lane.

There’s certain series where starting from the pits is way better than starting from the back. Some are so messy that you’re better off giving yourself a buffer from the field (p-cup).

Plus I’d recommend starting from the pits of you’re not comfortable with grid starts. Nothing worse than spinning right off the line.

It seems like elitist ******** to be worrying about whether you drive that first hundred metres on the track or down pit lane.
I'm no sim elitits by any means. Just a casual racer that likes simulations but for me the races start on the track, in the grid.

Back