I love gran turismo but....

  • Thread starter Thread starter sotirios
  • 24 comments
  • 2,231 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
1
Messages
sotiriosofnts
I am a die hard fan of gran turismo, as soon as GT was seriously close to release is when I purchased a ps3 and a racing wheel just for this game, but this is the first time that I'm disappointed with their product. Even from the first day the game had this incomplete feeling to it, just from looking at all the lack of events, and a bit rushed and unpolished, like the really sharp jagged shadows at the start of each race, and how my wheel the a driving force gt can be used to cheat, such as in any event that settings are locked in the setting, but I can change them while I'm racing from the wheel nob in every event. How there isn't even brake upgrades of all things. Stuff like that shouldn't of made it to the release. It felt like playing a beta.

I have played the crap out of this game and got alot of enjoyment out of it but the fact that it is also missing alot of race tracks that I really enjoyed from previous GT's, and some practice modes like a quarter mile test runs and the high speed test track, are really disappointing. Also what happened to rally event, there used to be a entire section of the game devoted to rally and needed to get a license just for it, same for the endurance events. The licenses not being mandatory also was a disappointment for me.I really could keep going on and on, but this all ready feels like a wall of text I wouldn't even read if I saw online, but I had to get it out.

The driving in the game is fine I'm not gana take that away from it, I will say that the AI at times almost makes me feel putting the game down. Like when I'm on a special event and they just ram there cars into me just cause they are on a track they have to follow, and at other times were they seem to drive flawless like a bot, were they will never mess up a turn or crash into each other, and the fact that the cars will basically finish in the same order they started cause they never have to overtake each other.but yet my bspec driver drives like a moron in most cases.

But the feel of driving the car is there, the realism of a actual race with this AI isn't. I watch a good deal of real racing from all types and even the best drivers make mistakes, and always expect a crash or two in some race.

The leveling system feels really wrong to me, before I would grind out cash to buy a car for a race. Now I'm just grinding out the same races over and over just to get the the next level and have one to three new events to choose from. Then when I finish them I'm hardly that far away from my next available events.

These shortcomings definitely wont stop me from playing GT or from buying future games. I just hope it wont be like this one. Please go back to how you made GT.
 
I am a die hard fan of gran turismo, as soon as GT was seriously close to release is when I purchased a ps3 and a racing wheel just for this game, but this is the first time that I'm disappointed with their product. Even from the first day the game had this incomplete feeling to it, just from looking at all the lack of events, and a bit rushed and unpolished, like the really sharp jagged shadows at the start of each race, and how my wheel the a driving force gt can be used to cheat, such as in any event that settings are locked in the setting, but I can change them while I'm racing from the wheel nob in every event. How there isn't even brake upgrades of all things. Stuff like that shouldn't of made it to the release. It felt like playing a beta.

I have played the crap out of this game and got alot of enjoyment out of it but the fact that it is also missing alot of race tracks that I really enjoyed from previous GT's, and some practice modes like a quarter mile test runs and the high speed test track, are really disappointing. Also what happened to rally event, there used to be a entire section of the game devoted to rally and needed to get a license just for it, same for the endurance events. The licenses not being mandatory also was a disappointment for me.I really could keep going on and on, but this all ready feels like a wall of text I wouldn't even read if I saw online, but I had to get it out.

The driving in the game is fine I'm not gana take that away from it, I will say that the AI at times almost makes me feel putting the game down. Like when I'm on a special event and they just ram there cars into me just cause they are on a track they have to follow, and at other times were they seem to drive flawless like a bot, were they will never mess up a turn or crash into each other, and the fact that the cars will basically finish in the same order they started cause they never have to overtake each other.but yet my bspec driver drives like a moron in most cases.

But the feel of driving the car is there, the realism of a actual race with this AI isn't. I watch a good deal of real racing from all types and even the best drivers make mistakes, and always expect a crash or two in some race.

The leveling system feels really wrong to me, before I would grind out cash to buy a car for a race. Now I'm just grinding out the same races over and over just to get the the next level and have one to three new events to choose from. Then when I finish them I'm hardly that far away from my next available events.

These shortcomings definitely wont stop me from playing GT or from buying future games. I just hope it wont be like this one. Please go back to how you made GT.

Your not alone my man.
I feel much the same way.
If a person has ever played a previous GT, I don't see how they could not identify with most of your comments.
 
Yup, that's how it goes. The testing not being here is the worst part.
 
Pretty spot on honestly.

I too will play the game, and likely purchase upgrades/new versions... but this version is teh suck. Prologue must have been TERRIBLE (I avoided it because it was "incomplete").

B-Spec is way to complicated to just explain but yeah I agree. These "guys" are already race car drivers when you get them, yet they drive like children. No way am I going to be able to complete a 24 hour race without a pause... Real Le Mans drivers actually sleep while their teammates drive, the pit crews sleep in shifts (or whenever they can) and someone wakes them to perform. Nobody stays awake for the entire 24 hours... yet this "simulation" is going to require me to? LOL, how is that simulating? It's closer to simulating a meth addict than a race.

A-Spec. The problem with "grinding" (why even have the levels?) is that you're forced to grind a few tracks so the game becomes really limited. I'd go back and do the Lightweight race but what is my incentive? Then to make it worse... INDY is the track you are best off grinding? Boring!

As far as leveling goes, they should have kept it like GT4 and added prestige. Only tighten the requirements the following times through (like HP). That would invite you to try different cars.

Whatever, this has become a rant... sorry.
 
Last edited:
Yup, that's how it goes. The testing not being here is the worst part.

I cannot warp my head around how this simple mode was left out. Why?
 
I agree that missing the testing is a mistake but i cant understand why people have to repeat events as i havnt had to do it apart from when i have come 2nd or below but once i get 1st i havnt had to go back on them as there is plenty of other things to improve your level ie license tests and the special events to earn more points and money.
 
Couldn't agree more with OP. When I heard about the EXP system in particular, I lost it.
 
i must be fortunate!.. i didn't play any of the earlier gt games aside prologue. until gt5 my experience with a full gt game had been limited to a 10min blast on my mates ps2 many years ago! (i was xbox man years ago)..

im enjoying gt5, i like the licences, i dont like loading times. i dont like how im forced to do licences to win cars to progress in the a spec events though.. (eg, i need a Japanese front wheel drive small car, i dont want to waste credits on a crap car..so i need to sit though 2 hours of loading times and winning licences to win a suitable car)..

aside this, im delighted with the driving model and physics.. gfx are good, though i wasnt expeting any better to be honest.. ps3 is an old gen system now. i have a seriuos high end modern gaming pc- i get my gfx kicks from that!

ive been playing gt5 in my modified sega arcade machine driving cockpit and on a 3dtv.. 3d is amazing!.. my only gripe is i cannot play in 3d with my cockpit.. but that my fault/limitation.. not PD's..

cheers
 
After many many hours of play I've seen two AI cars fight it out in a corner causing a crash ONCE. Other than that they are a train with the sole purpose of stopping me.

My b-spec driver loses control regularly, yet the opposition AI are glued to the road. I don't understand why there is such a difference.
 
I agree with the OP. The GT fanchise has always been the high bar for console "sim" racing. It certainly appears that the reign is over. Almost every other recent racing title (console) has several compelling features which GT5 doesn't. The other thing that has hurt the franchise is the long wait. Other publishers/developers have put out multiple titles during the wait for GT5. The game is really good in many core ways, such as driving physics and graphics. The game is also dreadfully plain when it comes to the interface. The only knock on the GT franchise over the years has been the very stale AI . . . and with GT5, what do we get? More of the same. It used to be that all the features and depth to GT5 were well thought out and complete . . . this is perhaps the most glaring shortcoming in GT5- "Premium" vs. standard cars, limited race modifications, limited cockpit views, limited wheel upgrades, limited used car lot . . . The King has clearly become a commoner, he just got to keep his nice clothes.
 
I too will play the game, and likely purchase upgrades/new versions... but this version is teh suck. Prologue must have been TERRIBLE (I avoided it because it was "incomplete").

Prologue was bad on many levels but I just don't remember the A.I. being as bad.
 
I agree with the OP. The GT fanchise has always been the high bar for console "sim" racing. It certainly appears that the reign is over. Almost every other recent racing title (console) has several compelling features which GT5 doesn't. The other thing that has hurt the franchise is the long wait. Other publishers/developers have put out multiple titles during the wait for GT5. The game is really good in many core ways, such as driving physics and graphics. The game is also dreadfully plain when it comes to the interface. The only knock on the GT franchise over the years has been the very stale AI . . . and with GT5, what do we get? More of the same. It used to be that all the features and depth to GT5 were well thought out and complete . . . this is perhaps the most glaring shortcoming in GT5- "Premium" vs. standard cars, limited race modifications, limited cockpit views, limited wheel upgrades, limited used car lot . . . The King has clearly become a commoner, he just got to keep his nice clothes.

First of all, way too many periods.

If GT5 is a commoner then who is now the king? I'm not one to praise GT5 and forget about it's problems, but no other game comes close to the full experience you get with GT5. Missing features or not, it still has miles above the competition.
 
Prologue was bad on many levels but I just don't remember the A.I. being as bad.
I think your memory is faulty. The AI is much less dynamic in Prologue. The other cars simply react better in GT5 - when you hit them, they actually spin out - in every single previous iteration this wasn't the case - they would robotically stick the racing line like glue.

GT5 AI is the best GT AI so far. Sure isn't perfect, but it is better.
 
I am a die hard fan of gran turismo, as soon as GT was seriously close to release is when I purchased a ps3 and a racing wheel just for this game, but this is the first time that I'm disappointed with their product. Even from the first day the game had this incomplete feeling to it, just from looking at all the lack of events, and a bit rushed and unpolished, like the really sharp jagged shadows at the start of each race, and how my wheel the a driving force gt can be used to cheat, such as in any event that settings are locked in the setting, but I can change them while I'm racing from the wheel nob in every event. How there isn't even brake upgrades of all things. Stuff like that shouldn't of made it to the release. It felt like playing a beta.

I have played the crap out of this game and got alot of enjoyment out of it but the fact that it is also missing alot of race tracks that I really enjoyed from previous GT's, and some practice modes like a quarter mile test runs and the high speed test track, are really disappointing. Also what happened to rally event, there used to be a entire section of the game devoted to rally and needed to get a license just for it, same for the endurance events. The licenses not being mandatory also was a disappointment for me.I really could keep going on and on, but this all ready feels like a wall of text I wouldn't even read if I saw online, but I had to get it out.

The driving in the game is fine I'm not gana take that away from it, I will say that the AI at times almost makes me feel putting the game down. Like when I'm on a special event and they just ram there cars into me just cause they are on a track they have to follow, and at other times were they seem to drive flawless like a bot, were they will never mess up a turn or crash into each other, and the fact that the cars will basically finish in the same order they started cause they never have to overtake each other.but yet my bspec driver drives like a moron in most cases.

But the feel of driving the car is there, the realism of a actual race with this AI isn't. I watch a good deal of real racing from all types and even the best drivers make mistakes, and always expect a crash or two in some race.

The leveling system feels really wrong to me, before I would grind out cash to buy a car for a race. Now I'm just grinding out the same races over and over just to get the the next level and have one to three new events to choose from. Then when I finish them I'm hardly that far away from my next available events.

These shortcomings definitely wont stop me from playing GT or from buying future games. I just hope it wont be like this one. Please go back to how you made GT.

I had every GT game so far as well, and years before, I learned not to expect too much from it. That was a hard lesson I learned in GT4, with all its sound problems and physics(although it was the best GT before GT5). I agree with you, but the problem is that maybe you expected the so-called "perfection" that PD was bragging about. I didn´t fell for that one. I knew GT5 was going to be big, but convinced myself that it was going to have minor details like previous titles. So far, I´m super happy with the game and I haven´t encountered any mayor problem that would make me not enjoy any of my favorite cars, or the game itself. There is only one thing in wich I also agree, and it´s the fact that A-Spec is too short, and the B-Spec system. Other than that, physics, crontrolling the game with the DS3, engine sound samples, sound in general, graphics, customizing(in GT fashion), AI are way far better than I ever hoped for this game. I will surely be playing this game until GT6, and by the time that happens, who knows, maybe we will have perfeccion at last.

Plus, let me add that NO GAME is close to GT5 at this moment, and I´m sure no game will EVER be. The pure enjoyment of driving in this game has no rival. Period.
 
Gotta agree with that OP... explains quite well how GT5 can both be fun and a dissapointment at the same time.
 
First of all, way too many periods.

If GT5 is a commoner then who is now the king? I'm not one to praise GT5 and forget about it's problems, but no other game comes close to the full experience you get with GT5. Missing features or not, it still has miles above the competition.

I wouldn't say miles above. GT5 is a excellent driving sim, but a mediocre driving game. If your happy with just driving around the 1000 cars, then GT5 will not disappoint. But that is like 5% of the people who bought the game. 95% of the people bought as another video game, and that is where GT is failing. Car customization is mediocre. The variation in quality of content is staggering (premium vs standards, lack of proper rally events etc), The GT life is too short in many ways and lengthened by making the game ridiculously challenging for the average gamer, online feels pointless at this point. Forza imo is surpassed GT, because while what it lacks in the realism/driving category, it more than makes up in the fun category.

The races often are not even that fun. Every A-spec race is pretty much decided by the half way mark of the first lap. Either you get ahead and lead it out, or that one ridiculously over powered AI car will be uncatchable. The AI basically drive on rails, finding crashes is like finding a needle in a haystack. The AI feel like a combined unit out to get you rather than a dozen racers trying to win the race. They could care less who wins as long as its not you.
 
Last edited:
I have been playing it a lot as well but there are some things that are hard to get past. Here are 10 that pop to mind right off though there are others.

1: No ability to save a tune for your car. GT4 and GT5P at least had 3 sections for tunes but here we have only the one that is on the car.
2: Leaderboards. I know they are supposed to be coming but would be nice to have them now. That said I would rather have the game now and the leaderboards later than have to wait for the game.
3: Tire wear and restrictions in A-Spec mode. one of the more interesting parts of GT4 was tire strategy. Sadly that is not present in A-Spec mode until you get into the Endurance races now though the restrictions are in B_Spec and tire wear kicks in sooner.
4: El-Capitan, Seattle, Motegi, Infineon, New York. I loved all these tracks and thought for sure we would have at least 2 of them.
5: Where are the weather forcasts? so far all I see is some tracks have weather and some do not. I have yet to see a forcast of any sort.
6: Ability to race your B-Spec driver against yoru freinds B-Spec drivers ???
7: Ability to lend your B-Spec driver to a friend ???
8: When my car is visually damaged in a private race my friends can see the damage to my car but in my pov it is like new still ??
9: Used car lot is a pain, GT4 had 3 used car lots and fewer cars? I would think we should have more than the 1. Perhaps one for newer cars, 1 for classics and yet another for race cars.
10:No prize money or EXP in online races, public or priavte. This is needed badly. So many cars, so much need for cash but no way to earn while racing with friends.


btw I do not think GT Life is all that challenging. I was hoping it would be harder. I loved the challenge of GT4 and getting the 200 A-Spec points on as many as possible. The fact that GT5 lets you run soft race tires in almost every event without tire wear makes it very very easy. Yes not as easy as Forza which has rewind, autobrake and the slowest AI on the planet but then if you need a game to be that easy you might want to stay away from a real sim.
 
Yep that is the big problem with this game........

Amazing driving (when your by yourself doing time trials) but playing with the AI or the current terrible online system make this game so mediocre.
 
First of all, way too many periods.

If GT5 is a commoner then who is now the king? I'm not one to praise GT5 and forget about it's problems, but no other game comes close to the full experience you get with GT5. Missing features or not, it still has miles above the competition.

I think (strictly my opinion) GT5 now lives amongs other titles like . . . Dirt, Grid, Forza, F1 2010, all of which offer features and functions which GT5 does not. Clearly you stated your opinion that GT5 remains king of the heap, but my point is that never has that been questioned more than now. Sure GT5 brought some new things to the table, but not without leaving the AI unaddressed. PD has sold the fans on "Premium" cars, but weren't they all "Premium" when compared to other games before? The standard cars are really "sub-standard" if you consider what the GT franchise has always been- the best. Is GT5 really that deep? Sure it will take weeks if not months for the average fan to unlock all races and reach level 40, but by what means? The same old credit grinding (on Indy no less) and Gold Medal chasing. Forza offers many more "races," F1 offers a real championship season, and Grid and Dirt both offer career progression (as does F1.) GT5 brings nothing new to the table. AI, nothing new. Damage, who knows? I'll post again when I grind my way to level 40 and unlock it. Love the time change and weather effects all you want, the general experience is nothing new. Based on this release, I'm excited to see how all these other competiting titles now vie for the thrown, because in my opinion, it isn't "miles above," rather it's up for grabs.
 
I agree with all of your points. I've been a GT fan my whole life and have bought a playstation for every release of the game. Obviously with the amount of time taken to develop this game I played the crap out of all Forza games.

I know GT has issues, but I still like it. My end goal is to just have a bunch of unlocked cars. To be able to go into arcade mode, jump in any car and race on any track while setting times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back