I love Gran Turismo for learning tracks

• Thread starter kiloka
  • 8 comments
Germany
Germany
Hey all, as everyone, I've been a bit disappointed by the controversies surrounding Gran Turismo so I've dabbled with other Racing Sims and have fallen in love with Assetto Corsa Competizione and RaceRoom Racing Experience. Just being able to take any car and go driving without having to worry about credits feels really good. Also, the FFB implementation on my G29 is so much better, it's sadly no contest.

But, nothing else (no other Racing Sim) has given me the tools to learn a new track like Gran Turismo has. I always start by just doing hot laps around a track with every assist (ideal driving line, braking indicator, braking zone) turned on and start working my way around the track to see what's happening and trying to remember when which curve, chicane or hairpin comes up while driving the ideal line.

After that I'll try to learn when to brake for each braking zone by following the markings on the street. At the same time, I'm looking at the ideal Gear to be in when entering the curve (the red number besides my current Gear) so that I can do it consistently.

When I think that I've got the track somewhat down, I'll start turning assists off, one by one, every time I can reach a good time I managed to do with all assists turned on. First to go is the driving line, then the braking zones and then the braking indicator.

The best thing is, that I don't even need the wheel to do this. To learn a track, which gear I should be in for each curve, when to start braking, etc. it's completely fine to take the controller and try staying consistent.

Now, I'm cruising with my Porsche 911 RSR GT3 car around different tracks and I'm in love with how it handles and how cool it is to drive. That it looks absolutely stunning in Scapes is an obvious bonus.

Does anyone else have any more tips on how to learn tracks better?
With how good these systems in Gran Turismo are, I bet I'm missing a whole lot which I just didn't discover yet.

How similar are the tracks across different brands of game? Are they actually all trying to be the same as the IRL track or is there variation & they're just a vaguely similar shape?

As far as I know, most sims are laser scanning the tracks so they should be very similar.

RaceRoom, which I mentioned, has only Nordschleife laser scanned, but that's rather an outlier than the rule.

1. Try to get gold on circuit experience.
2. Try to beat the AI ghost if you’re superhuman.
3. Join free run lobbies and drive around at your own pace to get to know the details of the track.
4. Watch record holders and apply their lines and techniques.
5. Do a large number of laps where you continually try to shave off your time.
6. Post videos of your laps here and ask for advice.

I think i'm just too used to rally games, and go a little gung ho on new tracks. So the only things i pay attention to when driving on new/unfamiliar tracks are what is up ahead of me.
I think i usually start off with a time trial/free run for new tracks, and cruise around it seeing where all the corners etc are. Then i generally just try figure out the best way to take corners on my own by trial and error.

I'm ashamed to admit I completely forgot about those. Thanks! :)
Admittedly, they did not push it forward nor gave us a way of tracking our progression on CE. You have to go and find it on each track individually and you need a good memory or a notepad to keep trak of your progression : which tracks I have done, which ones are 100% gold, ...)

Admittedly, they did not push it forward nor gave us a way of tracking our progression on CE. You have to go and find it on each track individually and you need a good memory or a notepad to keep trak of your progression : which tracks I have done, which ones are 100% gold, ...)
Yeah, it was only one GT Cafe Menu Book and I forgot about it afterwards. It's a really cool resource even though I'm struggling to gold most of them. Which is good because I need the practice. :)

Latest Posts

Back