I may be the best online driver on Suzuka 600pp

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biggles
  • 25 comments
  • 2,301 views
Messages
6,138
Messages
Simcoeace
... or I may be the worst!

I'm finding it really difficult to tell.

Sometimes I start at the back of the grid & tear through the field like I'm on fast-forward. Other times I start at the front & get overtaken in the first few turns.

Sometimes I overtake my opponent's car effortlessly on the straights, next lap I get overhauled with equal ease by the same car.

Sometimes I turn in 1.10 laps, the next time I'm at 1.20.

Sometimes I feel like I've got the fastest car on the track, the next time I feel something must be up with the engine/suspension/tires/steering/brakes.

Sometimes with all the pushing, bumping, spinning off, break-dancing cars, unfathomable penalty decisions, extreme drafting, & rubber-band physics, I start to feel I'm the victim of a cruel hoax by Kaz & the boys at PD.

Does anybody really understand what's going on. :confused:
 
*Straining hard*

Can't... Get... Into... Thread... Easily.
Large... Head... In... The... Way!

:p
 
Don't they call all of those things THE RUBBER BAND EFFECT?

Yes, sir I have experience all of those things. One lap the car dives thur the esses, the next it pushes like crazy.
 
Sometimes I turn in 1.10 laps, the next time I'm at 1.20.
I will say this: if you are turning Suzuka laps at between 1:10 and 1:20 in any car (even the F1), you're the fastest out there, by far! :sly:
 
oops: those would be 2.10 - 2.20. :O

No it's not just rubber band. All kinds of weird things happen...
 
Thank God This Isn't The Final Game!!!!!! Let Us Pray
 
Yeah, it's really annoying coming from quite far back to catch someone, overtake them and suddenly they can then keep up with you. It reminds me of the old Mario Kart AI :/ .

I wish they'd take the boost off all together, how can it be considered a "sim" with it.
 
It's bad when there's punters on the track but it makes for really interesting races when there's some good drivers out there.

There'd be much less "up close and personal" action without some kind of boost. If it was optional I think I'd probably end up playing half and half. Remember the boost only puts you up behind the guy in front - the overtake itself is pure-sim
 
The point I'm trying to make, is that I find it really hard to tell if I'm a "good driver" online or not. When I'm offline, it's pretty clear when I run a good, clean fast lap. In online racing there are so many weird variables: not just the rubber-band, there's the extreme drafting; the unpredictable bumps, spins, penalties, changeable acceleration, braking & traction of your car; and the unpredictable bumps, spins, penalties, changeable acceleration, braking & traction of all the other cars.

The combination of all these things seem to make the results of any race wildly inconsistent - I just don't see much evidence for anyone to conclude they're a "good driver".

Sometimes I think PD :trouble: is just messin' with us... :dopey:

... it's still kinda fun tho. :D
 
If you're in first place and can stay there you're a good driver.
 
If you're in first place and can stay there you're a good driver.

And definately if you pull away from the boost injected pack.

There have been times where I've managed to stay ahead of the field for a couple laps & other times where I'm overhauled like I'm only firing on half the cylinders. Often these variety of things happen with the same group of drivers in a sequence of races.

I will say this:

1) I definitely think some cars are better than others for Suzuka.

2) It's never looks good when you hit the kitty litter "unassisted" (although it's often hard to tell if a driver in front of you has gone off due to driver error or because he was shunted).

3) There are some drivers who you can tell are clearly not too capable.

I do think that with private rooms it may, over time, become possible to tell who is able, consistently, to get the best results.

Also, I think the traditional game-play structure of the GT series - overtake 15 cars in 1 - 3 laps - together with a lack of damage or decent collision physics, has created a culture of unrealistically aggressive driving. I look forward to the day where it will be possible to run long races with equally matched cars & equally matched drivers, running neck-and-neck over a number of laps, looking for a realistic opportunity to make a safe pass. That will be sweet. 👍
 
I already do wait for any true overtaking opportunity, I've recently mastered the art of stalking people round the track on the bumper without making contact.

What you say is by true by any stretch of the imagination, but i think you're overreacting a bit, i generally find myself top 3 every race. Infact last race i was second for first 2 laps before being overtaken, cleanly, then passing the original first place as he went off. Then i got into first before the back stretch (Suzuka 600PP) to be taken back to second, into 130R i took the spot back down the inside still no contact.


Thats my measure of good drivers, not speed, not how many wins, if they can run side by side with you round 130R you know they have some skill, and likewise if you can make a clean pass on the inside of it they will see you in similar vain. Yesterday (Suzuka 750PP) me, my friend and a random guy got 3 wide round 130R without contact (and me coming out top dog :sly: yay high downforce). Then 3 wide AGAIN going into T1 and again no contact. Thats a high standard of driving even if none of us set any fast times.
 
I agree that some aspects seem to be pure chance, but I think you're slightly overreacting.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallhorses
*Straining hard*

Can't... Get... Into... Thread... Easily.
Large... Head... In... The... Way!


hahaha you beat me to posting that

I don't get it: do neither of you understand the concept of irony. :rolleyes:
 
did you 'punt' your way to first thru all of those races you mentioned ? :lol:
 
I don't get it: do neither of you understand the concept of irony. :rolleyes:

come on the thread title is i amy be the best driver on suzuka 600pp do you not see where we are getting at
 
... or I may be the worst!

I'm poking fun at myself, & other GTPers who claim that either they, or someone else, might be the "Fastest guy you've raced", as in my experience, the results are always wildly varied & unpredictable due to all the bizarre things that happen online.
 
Hey Biggles

With the new rules changes, are you still the fastest guy at Suzuka? LOL when I first started the other night...

I WAS THE FASTEST GUY AT SUZUKA!!!!!

into the sandtraps that is.


LOL!
 
record and upload on youtube? ;> I wanna see your laps!
 
record and upload on youtube? ;> I wanna see your laps

yer yankin' my chain, right?

The whole point of this thread is: its impossible to tell who's fastest in online racing, because of all the weird things that happen: rolling starts, bumping, shunting, lag, wiggling jiggling opponents, rubber band, unrealistic drafting, unfair penalties etc. etc.
 
yer yankin' my chain, right?

The whole point of this thread is: its impossible to tell who's fastest in online racing, because of all the weird things that happen: rolling starts, bumping, shunting, lag, wiggling jiggling opponents, rubber band, unrealistic drafting, unfair penalties etc. etc.

Generally the guy who finishes at the front is the fastest isn't he?

I understand your point, but as they say, you gotta be in it to win it and the cream always rises to the top. Once some serious online tournaments start, then it won't be impossible anymore because it will be the same people winning time after time.

:)
 
yer yankin' my chain, right?

The whole point of this thread is: its impossible to tell who's fastest in online racing, because of all the weird things that happen: rolling starts, bumping, shunting, lag, wiggling jiggling opponents, rubber band, unrealistic drafting, unfair penalties etc. etc.

To tell who's fastest, check the time trial leaderboards, to see who can battle through a pack of cars and win a race, see who wins multiple races and has good finishes consistently.

Being fast is completely different to being able to overtake, drive defensively and so on. 8/10 times the best drivers in an event will end up near the top.
 
To tell who's fastest, check the time trial leaderboards, to see who can battle through a pack of cars and win a race, see who wins multiple races and has good finishes consistently.

Being fast is completely different to being able to overtake, drive defensively and so on. 8/10 times the best drivers in an event will end up near the top.


This is very good.... The only thing that actually makes me mad, is that your right, ONLY 8/10 times do the best drivers end up near the top of the pack. The rest of the times, their being pushed around, punted into wall's, and so on, I've had people stop RIGHT infront of me when I was trying a perfectly safe overtake...
 
This is very good.... The only thing that actually makes me mad, is that your right, ONLY 8/10 times do the best drivers end up near the top of the pack. The rest of the times, their being pushed around, punted into wall's, and so on, I've had people stop RIGHT infront of me when I was trying a perfectly safe overtake...

Its annoying, but it happens in the real world to. Just not as aggresively or often.
 
Back