I need a new laptop and Prime Day is here so can you guys help me compare these?

DesertPenguin

(Banned)
United States
Long Island, New York
DesertPenguin_
I'm not spending more than $300. I wasn't gonna spend over 200 but I saw what the best I could get for that price is and the extra 50-70 more for a better laptop seems worth it in the long run.

$270 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RF1XD36/?tag=gtplanet-20

$290 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079TGL2BZ/?tag=gtplanet-20

I can't find anything else worth it at these prices that isn't a Chromebook. I don't want to go crazy because it's just for browsing, spreadsheet data entry, and youtube/twitch watching. Sure some music and file management but that's about it. Nothing too hardware intensive. I have tons of music though, like 200GB so the ability to add more space with an SD card is required.

Which of these two is worth it? Be aware, the deals are over in less than 48 hours so choose fast! Basically, what is that extra $20 getting me? If it doesn't seem that worth it then I'm definitely getting the $270 one.

The intel and extra 2 gigs make the 20 bucks worth it as far as I am concerned.
But, also, I think the 1tb hhd over the 128g ssd's also makes it more worth it, especially if you are looking to store music on the device.

Thanks. Most people are telling me to spend the extra 20 bucks. The cheaper one is the newer model but the older one's ram can be easily upgraded.

128gb should be enough for me too, I have a 64gb flash drive and a 1TB external that my older stuff is on. I think that settles it. Now to hope it's not sold out already lol

Edit: I misread your post. The older model has the 1TB. Sold.

Last edited:
I can't find anything else worth it at these prices that isn't a Chromebook

As it's moot at this point, can I ask why you weren't interested in a Chromebook? They're actually pretty good, although I understand they're not for everyone.

For sure get the newer model, worth it for the backlit keyboard alone. Looks better and it should be much quicker to load up and use due to the SSD. Other one only if you really need a DVD-RW drive.

Chromebooks don't use a proper OS, everything is apps. I don't like that. I want a good old fashioned computer.

I don't care about a backlit keyboard. I want better functionality. The older model's RAM is more easily upgraded, how much quicker is the newer one really gonna be?

SSD is nice, but also not as easy to upgrade, right? It's only 128GB while the other model is a full 1TB. That's much better.

Well, honestly. You aren't doing big data crunches or crazy multitasking. So really... your choice. For me, I tend to multitask heavily so an Intel is generally the way I lean. Well that is until this new gen of Ryzen. But that's neither here nor there.

Chromebooks don't use a proper OS, everything is apps. I don't like that. I want a good old fashioned computer.

That's not strictly true, assuming you mean web apps since many of them support Android and Linux now, but you know what you want which is all that matters. It's just that "I don't want to go crazy because it's just for browsing, spreadsheet data entry, and youtube/twitch watching. Sure some music and file management but that's about it. Nothing too hardware intensive." is almost what Chrome OS was made for, hence why I was curious.

I don't care about a backlit keyboard. I want better functionality. The older model's RAM is more easily upgraded, how much quicker is the newer one really gonna be?

SSD is nice, but also not as easy to upgrade, right?

Much quicker, one is a 5,400rpm hard drive and the other is an NVMe SSD, that's about as polar as the opposites can get within reason right now.

4GB RAM isn't much but it sounds like you don't need much either, if it can be upgraded at all then go for that.

Also, replacing an M.2 SSD (which is what this has) is easier than replacing a hard drive because they're usually on the surface of the motherboard, remove one tiny screw and it just pulls out of a slot.

Edit: Found this photo in the Amazon reviews:

Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 21.51.51.png

The M.2 SSD is the blue rectangle in the bottom right corner and unless I'm mistaken, there's a 2.5" SATA disk bay in the top left immediately to the left of the fan, so you could add a big HDD for a lot of slow storage in addition to the fast SSD boot drive. Also the RAM slots are right there so that's easy enough to upgrade.

Last edited:
Well, honestly. You aren't doing big data crunches or crazy multitasking. So really... your choice. For me, I tend to multitask heavily so an Intel is generally the way I lean. Well that is until this new gen of Ryzen. But that's neither here nor there.
That's not strictly true, assuming you mean web apps since many of them support Android and Linux now, but you know what you want which is all that matters. It's just that "I don't want to go crazy because it's just for browsing, spreadsheet data entry, and youtube/twitch watching. Sure some music and file management but that's about it. Nothing too hardware intensive." is almost what Chrome OS was made for, hence why I was curious.

Much quicker, one is a 5,400rpm hard drive and the other is an NVMe SSD, that's about as polar as the opposites can get within reason right now.

4GB RAM isn't much but it sounds like you don't need much either, if it can be upgraded at all then go for that.

Also, replacing an M.2 SSD (which is what this has) is easier than replacing a hard drive because they're usually on the surface of the motherboard, remove one tiny screw and it just pulls out of a slot.
Thanks for the info guys. I'm definitely going with the older model. More space and plenty of RAM. I'm pretty sure I'm never gonna deal with replacing the hard drive either so that's one less thing to think about.

Chromebooks do have some appeal, but not for me. I'd rather work with a tried and true traditional OS. I may go further into streaming my gaming, buying an El Gato or something. So far I just upload clips from the PS4 Sharefactory thing.

SSD is nice, but also not as easy to upgrade, right? It's only 128GB while the other model is a full 1TB. That's much better.
Backlit keyboard is a useful functionality in the night. Both are easy to upgrade, quite similar in processor speed. Might want to consider the weight difference as well if you don't need a DVD-RW drive.

Anyway, looks like you are getting the older one, best also to get a M.2 SSD with it. That will make a huge difference in loading times. Something like this if you can stretch to it: Link

Best to upgrade as soon as you get it, then you can format the HDD and use it for storage.

I think I'll have plenty of space, it will run plenty fast for my uses, and if your room is so dark you need a back lit keyboard you should turn on a light. That's not good for your eyes. Thanks for the tips tho in case I feel it needs to be better

I think I'll have plenty of space, it will run plenty fast for my uses, and if your room is so dark you need a back lit keyboard you should turn on a light. That's not good for your eyes. Thanks for the tips tho in case I feel it needs to be better
It looks cool though the lights :dopey:, I don't really need it as I touch type. Forgot to mention, the newer one has IPS screen and older one is TN so viewing angles and colours won't be as good on the older one.

Yea that was the first thing I looked at but I'm never sharing the screen with anyone so I'll find an angle that works for me and that's that. As long as it's HD I'm happy. I'm not a huge visual freak because I don't have great eyes anyway but boy am I an audiophile :D

Also I'm colorblind so colors be damned lol

Yea that was the first thing I looked at but I'm never sharing the screen with anyone so I'll find an angle that works for me and that's that. As long as it's HD I'm happy. I'm not a huge visual freak because I don't have great eyes anyway but boy am I an audiophile :D

Also I'm colorblind so colors be damned lol
It can be quite noticeable the difference from experience, here is an example:

Something that can be put up with though or changed at cost.

OK, I didn't realise the E15 had an M.2 slot in it, that does change things a bit! Still though, it's cheaper to buy a laptop with an M.2 SSD pre-installed and put a $50 1TB HDD in it than the other way around, especially if the latter is more expensive to begin with. I also really don't think you'll max out 4GB of RAM with your use case unless you're abusing Excel or keeping tabs you no longer need open in your browser.

Add these points to the IPS LCD panel in the Aspire 5 and the 1.3lbs lighter weight and I really think that's the better choice, unless you need more than one USB 3.0 port because the Aspire 5 has one USB 3.0 and two 2.0 ports, the E15 has one 2.0 and three 3.0, including a Type C port in case that's of any use to you.

You bring up some good points. I'm gonna wanna upgrade both one way or another. 128gb is fine and its easier to upgrade that than an SSD. Sounds a bit too techy for me

An ssd doesnt have a spinning disc. It has solid state memory chips like an SD card. M.2 is the slot form factor and underlying tech this particular type of SSD plugs into. It's much faster since it doesnt have to wait on a disc to spin and an arm to move a read/write head into the right spot to load data sequentially. I mean, if you care just look it up on youtube. There are enough videos out there that explain the difference better than I will.

Sorry, should have worded that better. I assume M.2 SSD is better than some more common form of SSD?

You could also get lucky and find the one in the link , like I did in an auction , paid only 350 dollars for it and havent been more happy ever , the laptop should be a bit like your pace on the track dont you think :)

edit. oops sorry , meant that your new laptop shouldn´t be like your pace on track or something :)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back