I need advice....

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheBigMan045
  • 5 comments
  • 647 views
Messages
724
Messages
TheBigMan045
Messages
TheBigMan045
Over the weekend just gone, I purchased a car considered a classic...a 1973 Hillman Hunter. Currently love the car to bits, but one thing bugs me, its only a four speed gearbox and 100kph in fourth is too high in the rev range for me to be comfortable with. Now my question to you fellow GTPers is this. Is there a 5 speed gearbox that will easily bolt on, also want to keep the car period as well, I do have acess to a nissan 5 speed from a 1600sss would this be an idea?
 
The '73 gt came with a 5spd. They both had the same motors, I think, so that could work. I'm not sure how easy it is to find a trans from a 73 hunter gt though.
 
maybe one from england....its a bit hard to find GTs down here as i dont think we got them, but thanks anyway
 
Over the weekend just gone, I purchased a car considered a classic...a 1973 Hillman Hunter. Currently love the car to bits, but one thing bugs me, its only a four speed gearbox and 100kph in fourth is too high in the rev range for me to be comfortable with. Now my question to you fellow GTPers is this. Is there a 5 speed gearbox that will easily bolt on, also want to keep the car period as well, I do have acess to a nissan 5 speed from a 1600sss would this be an idea?

Have you thought about changing the ring & pinion in the differential? Chances are something else out there shared the same differential and was geared lower. That would be a helluva lot easier to find/ship than a new transmission with overdrive.
 
hm...have a hunt over here in the states, too. some of the older hillmans got rebadged in that era to Plymouth

uhuh. just checked with wiki. seems you can either look here or in Canada, too.
 
Last edited:
Have you considered an overdrive system? You'll almost certainly be able to find an electric overdrive for the car from a supplier somewhere. Virtually every British car of that age was sold with one in at least one variant and it'd be simpler than swapping the whole gearbox.
 
Back