I need help with a math question

• Thread starter RA1D3R
  • 25 comments
I am given this question,

Consider the following formula: y = 3 ( x + 5 ) ( x - 2 )
Which of the following formulas is equivalent to this one?

A. y=3x2+9x-30
B. y=x2+3x-lO
C. y=3x2+3x-lO
D. y=3x2+3x-30

I know the answer is A, but can someone explain why?

Basic Quadratics...
So the equation is Y = 3[(x+5)(x-2)].
First, multiply (x+5)(x-2) to get x²+3x-10
Y = 3[(x+5)(x-2)]
∴ Y = 3[x²+3x-10]
Multiply everything in the bracket by what's outside the bracket..
∴ Y = 3x²+9x-30

Waiting for someone to realise that they've been tree'd :P

Order of operations is PEMDAS
Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiply
Divide
Add
Subtract

P

y = 3 ( x + 5 ) ( x - 2 )

since x is an unknown, we can't do anymore in the ()'s

E
No exponents

M
y = 3 ( x + 5 ) ( x - 2 ) = (3x + 15)(x - 2) = 3x^2 + 15x - 6x - 30

D
None

A/S
3x^2 + 15x - 6x - 30 = 3x^2 + 9x - 30

If I pretend not to see the post above me am I tree'd?

I am given this question,

Consider the following formula: y = 3 ( x + 5 ) ( x - 2 )
Which of the following formulas is equivalent to this one?

A. y=3x2+9x-30
B. y=x2+3x-lO
C. y=3x2+3x-lO
D. y=3x2+3x-30

I know the answer is A, but can someone explain why?

The rules of multiplying out quadratics is FOIL (first - outer - inner - last).. and multiply out the brackets first...

With (x + 5) (x - 2):

Your 'firsts' are x * x = x²

Your 'outers' are x * -2 = -2x

Your 'inners' are 5 * x = (+)5x

Your 'lasts' are 5 * -2 = -10

So, (x + 5) (x - 2) becomes: [x² - 2x + 5x - 10] which equals x² + 3x - 10

Multiply the whole lot by 3, and you get:

y = 3x² + 9x - 30

--

@ Exorcet - not as tree'd as me :sly:

TM might delete my post, or both of you could put me on the ignore list so you can't see it :lol:

Thanks! I haven't done any algebra in 4 years. I'm just trying to refresh my brain cause I got a test for a job in 2 weeks.

The rules of multiplying out quadratics is FOIL (first - outer - inner - last).. and multiply out the brackets first...

With (x + 5) (x - 2):

Your 'firsts' are x * x = x²

Your 'outers' are x * -2 = -2x

Your 'inners' are 5 * x = (+)5x

Your 'lasts' are 5 * -2 = -10

So, (x + 5) (x - 2) becomes: [x² - 2x + 5x - 10] which equals x² + 3x - 10

Multiply the whole lot by 3, and you get:

y = 3x² + 9x - 30

--

@ Exorcet - not as tree'd as me :sly:
why do you multiply the whole thing by 3?

iu

My next purchase is this:

qsdfqsdf.jpg

2019 - 2011 = 7

@kikie Perhaps you should buy two copies and give one to GTV0819 :D
Oh please. :rolleyes:

Sorry, huh? I forgot to put there that it was more than 7 years ago since I've been carried away for looking at the actual date of the original post but at least I do know that it isn't exactly 8 years yet.

Come on, just because I simply said '7' and not '8', you already became so merely amused about it. :lol:

Wow.. After 7 years lol.
iu

I didn't even notice that this thread was revived after almost 8 years. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have been a math wizard by now.

Last edited:
iu

I didn't even notice that this thread was revived after almost 8 years. I knew then what I know now, I'd have been a math wizard by now.
Well, yeah. It seems I'm the first one here to notice the original date of this thread after it was left unbothered for a very long time hahaha. :lol:

why do you multiply the whole thing by 3?

Since you've been curious about this for so many years, I figured it's worth explaining a little further. Alternatively you could have multiplied just the first one set of brackets by 3. For example:

(3x+15) (x -2)
or another alternative
(x+5) (3x-6)

Edit:

For completeness:

also (x -2)(3x+15)
also (3x-6)(x+5)

Doesn't matter what order you perform the multiplication in.

My algebra teacher tought us to multiply two binomials with a "monkey-face." :) OK, this was a L-O-N-G time ago...

Write the expression down:
33804206258_19910942c7.jpg

Then draw lines above from the first and second term in the first set to the first and second term in the second set. then draw lines below between the inner terms and the outer terms.
33804206318_ec6ce19451.jpg

Do the multiplication for each line you drew and add them all together.

As to why you multiply the whole thing by 3, well, it's because "x-squared plus 3x minus 10" is ONE number, not 3. You can't multiply by part of a term.

My algebra teacher tought us to multiply two binomials with a "monkey-face." :) OK, this was a L-O-N-G time ago...

Write the expression down:
33804206258_19910942c7.jpg

Then draw lines above from the first and second term in the first set to the first and second term in the second set. then draw lines below between the inner terms and the outer terms.
33804206318_ec6ce19451.jpg

Do the multiplication for each line you drew and add them all together.

As to why you multiply the whole thing by 3, well, it's because "x-squared plus 3x minus 10" is ONE number, not 3. You can't multiply by part of a term.

I feel like this method and the foil method are actually somewhat counter-productive and difficult to remember. Doesn't it make more sense to just distribute the multiplication?

(x+5)(x-2)
becomes
x(x-2)+5(x-2)

x^2-2x+5x-10 => x^2+3x-10

So 3(x+5)(x-2) can be distributed as (3x+15)(x-2) which can be distributed as 3x(x-2)+15(x-2) which is (3x^2+9x-30).

I don't know if it's true for anyone else, but this makes a lot more sense to me than trying to remember to do foil or anything else, and it even scales better to harder problems.

Don't really see the difference, as doing the multiplication for each line you drew is distributing the multiplication. I agree that it doesn't scale up to bigger polynomials, though.

Don't really see the difference, as doing the multiplication for each line you drew is distributing the multiplication. I agree that it doesn't scale up to bigger polynomials, though.

Yea I mean it's the same thing. I just wish I had been taught it more directly than trying to remember monkey face or FOIL or whatever.

Back