I NEED HELP WITH CATALUNYA!

• Thread starter wiseslee91
  • 28 comments
United States
United States
Guys! Please~ Please help a brother out! I've done more than 80 laps here in Catalunya qualifying trial, Anymore Catalunya I am going to vomit! But I still cant get it below 1.53 sec, My best time with the qualifying time trial is with subaru BRZ(1,54.711). The top 10 is with Mazda 3, and so I give it a try and I cant beat my own time. Please help me out with which part of the track I can gain some time. I am not trying to beat the top 10, I just want to get close to them. T.T Below is my qualifying lap.
Barcelona Catalunya qualifying time trial

Last edited:
Time to turn track markers off you know the track by now . squeeze a little more in the braking zone and use more track to carry a little more speed through the corners , clean chicane at end to get power on early..
if you have been at it a long time have a break and try again after !
just my opinion

1.53 is like 7 seconds faster than me lol so I cant help you bro
Well, if they can do it, I am sure we can do it too~ Not recommended tho, cos your mind keep on telling you that you are 3 sec slower than top 10, so if you are racing with the top 10, after 10 laps, we are half a lap away from them. T.T

We all needed help my boy lol! If your going to use electronic aids just you TCS bro the other one might be killing your time good luck!

Time to turn track markers off you know the track by now . squeeze a little more in the braking zone and use more track to carry a little more speed through the corners , clean chicane at end to get power on early..
if you have been at it a long time have a break and try again after !
just my opinion
I can't say fully know the track breaking point, maybe a lil but having the marker gives you a sense of calm while I race, I will give your suggestion a try. I did spend 2 nights JUST doing Catalunya. I do realize that I lose concentration after a while. Thanks

Turn off driver aids as much as possible, especially stability control etc. can slow you down quite a lot

Getting the exits of turn 7 and 14/15 right can give you a lot of time, in turn 7 you still have a lot of room left to use when accelerating out of the corner.

Stability control? As in traction control? It has been off for quite a while now. I kinda master a lil bit of my Ferrari right foot. LOL

I do realize I struggle with all the corners from the hairpins onwards. I just can't get the hairpin right, same as the chicane, everytime I try to push it by riding it, I get a penalty bcos of that and eventually, I just stay away from it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the graph!! That's very helpful for me to understand which corner you are talking about.

About turn 7, do you think I break too much or too long that screw up my carry speed through the corner?

We all needed help my boy lol! If your going to use electronic aids just you TCS bro the other one might be killing your time good luck!
My traction control is 0 for 4wd car, I might be able to do it with BMW with 0 tractions, but definitely 1 for Porshe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most glaring points in that video are Turn 3, 4, 9, 12 and the final chicane. You are not maximizing the exit speed of those corners, and with all the braking points on screen you are braking on point, which doesn't allow you to ignore them and brake where you actually can and carry more speed through the corner.

You will need to turn off braking markers for a start and learn the track properly. For the meantime, look for where the braking markers start and find a reference point that is nearby that you can use instead.

For example, I use the bridge as a reference for Turn 4 for braking, turn 5 there is a black signpost on the left side of the track behind the barrier and then turn 7 I use the beginning of the curb on the right. You braking distance will change for each car, so some cars I am braking on those points, and others I'm judging the distance before I get to them

You appear to be fairly smooth with your driving, it may just be you are being held back by all the artificial racing lines on the screen.

As far as driving aids go, ASM would be the first one you should turn off as that is the driving aid that costs the most amount of speed, then learn to drive without CSA. But one step at a time.

The most glaring points in that video are Turn 3, 4, 9, 12 and the final chicane. You are not maximizing the exit speed of those corners, and with all the braking points on screen you are braking on point, which doesn't allow you to ignore them and brake where you actually can and carry more speed through the corner.

You will need to turn off braking markers for a start and learn the track properly. For the meantime, look for where the braking markers start and find a reference point that is nearby that you can use instead.

For example, I use the bridge as a reference for Turn 4 for braking, turn 5 there is a black signpost on the left side of the track behind the barrier and then turn 7 I use the beginning of the curb on the right. You braking distance will change for each car, so some cars I am braking on those points, and others I'm judging the distance before I get to them

You appear to be fairly smooth with your driving, it may just be you are being held back by all the artificial racing lines on the screen.

As far as driving aids go, ASM would be the first one you should turn off as that is the driving aid that costs the most amount of speed, then learn to drive without CSA. But one step at a time.
Much appreciated with the suggestion mate. I kinda get it about corner number 3, I maybe able to reduce the brake, carry a lil more speed and also getting the throttle just a lil earlier, that probably will get me below 32.500 sec for the first sector. about corner 9, do you think that I brake too much or input corner too late?

Stability control? As in traction control? It has been off for quite a while now. I kinda master a lil bit of my Ferrari right foot. LOL

I do realize I struggle with all the corners from the hairpins onwards. I just can't get the hairpin right, same as the chicane, everytime I try to push it by riding it, I get a penalty bcos of that and eventually, I just stay away from it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the graph!! That's very helpful for me to understand which corner you are talking about.

About turn 7, do you think I break too much or too long that screw up my carry speed through the corner?
I don't know how it's called in the menu, but it's ASM as mentioned above (Active stability management). That and you also have counter steer assist on. They can both slow you down.

About turn 7, I have some issues getting that right as well. But try to get on to the acceleration as soon as possible to maximize speed onto the next parts. Try to use a ghost of a top player if it helps you.

Have to tried adjusting the brakes ? i sometimes gain a bit of time trying anything but 0 first try -1 then -2 etc if its worse try the other way +1 +2 etc. And loose the big red braking zone's you know the track very well they are playing jedi mindtricks with your brain ;)

Have to tried adjusting the brakes ? i sometimes gain a bit of time trying anything but 0 first try -1 then -2 etc if its worse try the other way +1 +2 etc. And loose the big red braking zone's you know the track very well they are playing jedi mindtricks with your brain ;)
That Mazda 3 understeers quite a lot~I wish they allow us to adjust the brake preference to the rear +1 or 2, but the daily race doesn't allow you to adjust the brake preference. Not like the Brz, GTR where you can turn better. Both the BRZ and the GTR have fuel issues where I run out of fuel after the last lap after the chicane. LOLx, you've been forced to cruise around 40mph. To ease my stress, I end up with Mazda 3 where you can finish the 10laps with power level 1.

I agree with what the others are saying regarding the assists, slowly work your way into turning those off as your steering looks smooth, that's a good baseline.

here's my take on the lap:
  • turn 1: you can go bit further left on the kerb before turnin in. Kerb has proper traction, use it as you would if it was asphalt.
  • turn 2: can carry more speed into corner by either hitting apex a bit earlier and/or earlier throttle from turn 1 / more inner apex turn 1, because there's room at the exit
  • turn 3: turn in a bit later with no (or very very little) braking, let the car turn in and apply throttle early (i use that far poll as a marker to know when to hit the throttle). You want to end up carrying speed to the outside full throttle. But it's easier to manage without braking & you'll carry more speed, be more balanced and avoid understeer.
  • turn 4: turn in a bit later, you're reducing steering angle before hitting the apex which is causing loss of speed and unsettling the car.
  • turn 7: more room on exit, target the sausage start in 8, meaning you can hit the throttle even earlier
  • turn 9: target the green area for the exit, lots of space left to carry more speed into the exit there
  • turn 10: missing the apex, bit earlier break and turn in, target the kerb and try rotating the car earlier. downshifting into 1st gear for rotation before upshifting to second just before hitting throttle again helps a bit here.
  • turn 12: use kerbs/green area for exit
  • turn 13: break on the left edge on the kerb when tire marks cross the asphalt and turn in. use the kerb, position yourself more to the left, way more. rotate the car earlier. target the exit on the middle of the road instead of left kerb - this is imprtant for the combo all the way forward
  • turn 14: try to be as straight as possible and on the right kerb when breaking. You were too fast going in from turn 13, you want to ride that left kerb on 14 and be rotated
  • turn 15: very very important corner since it determines your speed for the whole straight, but basically starts on 13. Being too fast through 13 messes up this whole sequence, go slow on 13 to get fast 15 exit speed. Sacrifice 13 for 15 :)

oh, and mazda's gearbox is a bit slow and torque is better in high revs so rev it out more. keeping it in 5th till 1st corner actually gains more speed, same across the track, especially on 3rd and 4th gear, throttle bit longer before gear up.

Last edited:
Much appreciated with the suggestion mate. I kinda get it about corner number 3, I maybe able to reduce the brake, carry a lil more speed and also getting the throttle just a lil earlier, that probably will get me below 32.500 sec for the first sector. about corner 9, do you think that I brake too much or input corner too late?
No worries. Your turn 3 in that video had too shallow of an entry, and you then tried to scrub speed as you began to understeer. A slightly wider entry should allow a much smoother line through turn 3.

Turn 9 is different, the game has a brake point in the mid entry of the corner and I do not approach that corner that way, I brake earlier than you and in a straight line and then power through the corner, so I am on the accelerator earlier which means I'm maximizing the time I am full throttle down the following straight. Your racing line and brake point in that corner doesn't look bad though, and my only thought based on your video is, you could have been on the power earlier and maximized the width of the road to carry more speed.
Turn 10 is the deal-breaker for me. I just can’t get it no matter how many approaches I take!
Turn 10 is a pain, probably my biggest sore spot also. The trick is approaching it slower than what you feel you should be able to, really hook up that apex. There is a lot of grip on corner exit so the cars are often well behaved, and it is uphill. So maximizing the corner exit speed is the biggest priority there over braking a few meters later.

Turn 10 is a pain, probably my biggest sore spot also. The trick is approaching it slower than what you feel you should be able to, really hook up that apex. There is a lot of grip on corner exit so the cars are often well behaved, and it is uphill. So maximizing the corner exit speed is the biggest priority there over braking a few meters later.
The main problem I have with turn 10 in a race is that I get punted if I take it at an appropriate speed. That flat open area is like a graveyard of torpedo victims! I’ve gotten better at clearing out of the way as soon as possible, but I definitely don’t take the same line I’d take in a time trial.

Guys! Please~ Please help a brother out! I've done more than 80 laps here in Catalunya qualifying trial, Anymore Catalunya I am going to vomit! But I still cant get it below 1.53 sec, My best time with the qualifying time trial is with subaru BRZ(1,54.711). The top 10 is with Mazda 3, and so I give it a try and I cant beat my own time. Please help me out with which part of the track I can gain some time. I am not trying to beat the top 10, I just want to get close to them. T.T Below is my qualifying lap.

Keep going, your inputs look smooth and good...but mind those aids as some already said...a 0.1 gain in each corner = 1sec+ a lap so...it's all about the details now...think scalpel.

It's tricky with BoP settings with no adjustments, and the actual race has wear sooo...might have to actually invest doing laps with degradation...or my Cayman will eat you up lap 8 lol.

Edit -- GL!

Last edited:
Keep going, your inputs look smooth and good...but mind those aids as some already said...a 0.1 gain in each corner = 1sec+ a lap so...it's all about the details now...think scalpel.

It's tricky with BoP settings with no adjustments, and the actual race has wear sooo...might have to actually invest doing laps with degradation...or my Cayman will eat you up lap 8 lol.

Edit -- GL!

Edit -- GL!

Screw it!!! I am skipping my gym day!!! Thank you so much guys!!! I won’t let you down~ wait for my new time trial qualifier !!!

@Lion-Face ,@dabz343, @richroo , @biftekman

So~~ I end up spending my night (maybe another 40 laps) in Catalunya qualifying trial again after all the advice given by you guys. I now have the whole corners and breaking point in my brain. I can now do the lap without break zone, no ASM, no countersteer and I managed to scrap off 2/10 of a sec from my brz record. I am now at 1.54.477

TBH, I don't feel much of a different to the car after turning off asm and countersteer. The BIGGEST game-changer is turning off the breaking zone. That completely change the way I drive in the circuit. The 5 laps in without breaking zone is like hell, only then I realized that I didn’t know the track AT ALL. After spending ANOTHER night with this Barcelona track, I now have it memorized. I feel like I can scrap off another 1 sec off the track, I don’t have much time to play today since I have to go to the gym. To do that, I will give manual shifting a try!! And see whether I can scrap off another sec by doing that.

I would like to help you bro, but my time is 1,59.877, you need a GT champion. I suggest you to unload a video of one of the best time and study every corner of the track.

I would like to help you bro, but my time is 1,59.877, you need a GT champion. I suggest you to unload a video of one of the best time and study every corner of the track.

That Mazda is seriously hard to drive but the good think is you do not have to worry about spinning~ Give Gtr, huracan and Subaru a try, you can easily get it under 1.57 for sure

Last edited:
omg yes
give it time to get in tune with all the changes and it will make you faster ..
think about being smooth around the lap then build up to going fast !

The thing is I am getting a lil too “busy” . I might be able to do it in qualifying lap. On the race, my heart is pounding~ I have to check my rpm, have to have my eyes on braking reference point, then turn my eyes 👀 pointing at the corner so that I don’t over shoot the corner, have to look how far back is the second player away from me. I can’t just focus on the race itself~ lol, too energy consuming~ I just started the game, usually the second player is like 20 sec away from me after 5-6laps , I don’t think it will be easier if I move to higher class

Last edited:
@Lion-Face ,@dabz343, @richroo , @biftekman

So~~ I end up spending my night (maybe another 40 laps) in Catalunya qualifying trial again after all the advice given by you guys. I now have the whole corners and breaking point in my brain. I can now do the lap without break zone, no ASM, no countersteer and I managed to scrap off 2/10 of a sec from my brz record. I am now at 1.54.477

TBH, I don't feel much of a different to the car after turning off asm and countersteer. The BIGGEST game-changer is turning off the breaking zone. That completely change the way I drive in the circuit. The 5 laps in without breaking zone is like hell, only then I realized that I didn’t know the track AT ALL. After spending ANOTHER night with this Barcelona track, I now have it memorized. I feel like I can scrap off another 1 sec off the track, I don’t have much time to play today since I have to go to the gym. To do that, I will give manual shifting a try!! And see whether I can scrap off another sec by doing that.
I was checking the time on youtube of those that did around 1.52 sec. They managed to get low 32sec for the first section (corner 4 entry point), mine was high 32, sometimes flat 33 or low 33.

On the way to turn 10(second section) , before the tight hairpin where I used to have trouble with(not anymore with breaking reference), I am almost 1.7 sec slower from corner 5-9. Thats my target for this couple days

Last edited:
The daily race for Barcelona Catalunya has come to an end~ It was a fun ride, never have I push any track as serious as this one. It's an enjoyable and technical track IMO. With all the help, I managed to scrape off another 2/10 of a sec lol~ I am now officially 1min54.2. 2 sec behind the top 10, and I am thrilled with the result. Without the help from you guys, I might have quit racing the same track repeatedly. I am sure when Catalunya shows up again in the daily race, we all will be faster and have more experience than before.

Now lets go out there and kick some ass in Red bull and Monza!

Till next time fellas!
534-5346434_logo-valentino-rossi-46-turtle-vector-cdr-png.png

Last edited:
Back