I need help with the racing rules

• Thread starter iTz_jDpl
  • 9 comments
Switzerland
Switzerland
Hello to everyone! My name is Kuba and Im pretty noob so far it terms of racing rules. I would need a hand from someone who can tell me who behaved according to the rules on the video from the link below.
From what I know if cars and not overlapping than corner "belongs" to the car which is in front. But what struggles my head is maybe ferrari car switched side too late and braked too early. I dont know if audi car should let ferrari car thru the corner or ferrari car should go with outer line. Thanks in advance and wish you great races!
Link to the video:

Last edited:
Looks to me like Ferrari's fault. There was loads of space and the Audi took it, Ferrari wasn't aware of their surroundings and turned in on Audi. If Ferrari driver wanted to defend the position it is within the rules to take away that space before the braking zone AND before the Audi has already taken the space. The Ferrari should have covered off the inside and forced the Audi around the outside to overtake or stayed on the outside and fought until the next corner which the Ferrari would have had the inside for. This is why everyone should drive with radar on in GTS, it gives you that extra bit of spatial awareness.

Last edited:
The move by the Audi looks fine to me. It looks as if the Ferrari did not know he was there and turned in (abelit quite sharply).
If they did know they were there that is bad ettiquete. They should have held around the outside if possible as the next corner is in their favour.

Ferrari completely lost track of where the Audi was and turned in. The only issue I have with the Audi's move is they're not really even on a possible racing line, if going for this overtake the Audi should be a lot closer to the Ferrari's right side and not just dive straight at the apex.

Last edited:
Ferrari completely lost track of where the Audi was and turned in. The only issue I have with the Audi's move is they're not really even on a possible racing line, if going for this overtake the Audi should be a lot closer to the Ferrari's right side and not just dive straight at the apex.
While true, the Ferrari needs to take notice and decide whether the Audi is going to make the apex or not. If not, cut him back. If so, fight around the outside. The Audi had every right to be there. If the Ferrari gave space and the Audi still clobbered the Ferrari's door (which, granted, may have happened) then that's completely on the Audi

While true, the Ferrari needs to take notice and decide whether the Audi is going to make the apex or not. If not, cut him back. If so, fight around the outside. The Audi had every right to be there. If the Ferrari gave space and the Audi still clobbered the Ferrari's door (which, granted, may have happened) then that's completely on the Audi

It's bad driving on both sides, yet technically the Audi had the right of way, albeit only by the saving grace of the width of the track. To have corner rights you need to establish significant overlap in the braking zone, before turn in and beat the other car to the apex, in such a way that you can still make the corner without going wide. If you end up going wide it's a dive. We don't know whether the Audi would have gone wide at corner exit, it doesn't look like he's making the corner in a proper fashion, however the track is wide enough to slow down more after the apex and make a slow exit, fast in, slow out.

The Ferrari should have paid more attention to the Audi and simply brake a little extra to undercut the Audi, slow in, fast out, and leave the Audi in the dust at corner exit. However the Audi was pretty far to the inside already, the radar's width is very limited, putting the Audi in the Ferrari's blind spot.

All reasons I prefer more narrow tracks and avoid the wide ones.

Last edited:
No argument that the contact is definitely the Ferrari's fault, but it's a lot easier to not hit someone if you have a clear idea where they are and they're behaving in a predictable manner. Presumably the Ferrari driver assumed the Audi was just braking behind them, since diving straight towards the apex is not really a common behavior, and therefore the apex of the corner was clear. The Audi could have done better by staying further to the left, braking parallel to the Ferrari driver so they know exactly where both cars are, and then taking a reasonable racing line.

This is actually a classic grey area, most ar enot grey but this type of turn with that awkward apex invites people to trip up.

I will lay blame on the Ferrari as he lost track of where the Audi was and cut to the apex, but in saying that, I absolutely loathe guys fiving into an apex on a turn that has to be taken wide and they have not earned the overlap.

The absolute best example of this is Dragon Tail Gardens, after the hairpin there is a right turn then a quick left and time after time guys dive in on that quick left then take the apex (to the right), pushing one off track into the sand. The narrow line is super slow so i cannot be expected tot ake it because you are within diving distance of the apex.

Audi was alongside for an entire second before contact. The Ferrari had enough time to react, and should've used the radar.

A good rule of thumb is that if you aren't 100% braking, you should expect someone to try something. The Ferrari was on the throttle while he was braking, and I'm not even sure they were fully on the brakes.

They are both at fault at my first look then I look at the brake lights of both cars the Audi lights were on going into the turn leaving plenty of room showing control . The Ferrari lights were off showing his car got away from his control . I don’t think a penalty is needed the out come seem fair

Last edited:
Back