I need help with Virginia Raceway

• Thread starter nyeboy
  • 4 comments
dragonsrule
I find this track very hard, my lap times are really bad on the track and I can't seem to work out an easy and quick way to get around the back section of the circuit. Has anyone got any tips to get fast lap times on this track?

be gentle and try to understand the flow of that corner sequence. It's more about "flow" and car-balance from one corner to the other than just a brake/accel/brake/accel/brake track.

In tracks like this going slow usually makes you faster. Try it 👍

Yeah that's helped a lot, I've got my times down over a second already. One thing I've noticed about those series of chicanes at the back of the circuit is that the entrance going in is very, very important. If I got in to fast or on the wrong part of the track, that stuffs up that whole section for me.

I'm kind of stating the obvious but the lack of 'lateral and vertical' g-forces on your body cripple one's reactions which would otherwise be second nature on tight and twisty tracks like VIR and also Infineon, which feature a lot of elevation changes. I found when I tried to 'imagine' the cars reactions to cresting hills and suspension compression on ruts, it made the cars reactions seem much more predictable.

But Hun200kmh is correct--smoothness is really the key. On high speed tracks like Monza or Montreal you can tell when you're putting in a hot lap. But with VIR, if you 'feel' like you're going too slowly for some corners...you're probably not.

Brake early...

no, even earlier! ;)

Also, you've got to work with the weight transfer, rather than fight it. The last corner before the long straight is a great example - very important to a) stay on the track, b) keep the weight balanced so that you can get back on the throttle as soon & as smoothly as possible.

It took me a long time to get comfortable with VIR, and it remains one of the most challenging tracks to drive fast on, as it's very easy to make a mistake when you're trying to push hard. Great fun though! 👍

Latest Posts

Back