I need some advice on my GT-One's setup

• Thread starter Kooky
  • 6 comments
In the past, I haven't done much tweaking on my cars' setups. However, I started to a few months ago and ran a 1'12.952 at Languna Seca in a stock GT-One Race Car (Medium Tires) and a 1'11.832 at Apricot Hill. I thought these were pretty good, but I wasn't sure how good since I didn't know many GT players at the time. My car setup was....

Spring Rate: 12.1kg/mm(F) 10.8kg/mm(R)
Ride Height: 76mm 76mm
Shock Bound: Level 4 Level 4
Shock Rebound: Level 8 Level 8
Chamber Angle: 3.5 3.5
Toe Angle: 0.0 0.0
Stabilizers: Level 4 Level 4
Brake Balance: Level 10 Level 10
Downforce: 0.81 0.80
ASM: Level 10
TCS: Level 5
Gear Ratio (Auto Setting): Level 33 (Laguna) Level 40 (Apricot)
Limited-slip Initial Torque: 0 10
Limited-slip Accel: 0 40
Limited-slip Decel: 0 20

So, I just need some advice on whether I'm at least in the right ballpark or not when comes to having a good setup/good lap times.

Update: I watched that GT-One video in the GT3 video section here and it ran a 0'55.xxx. It appeared to have a Stage 4 Turbo in it as well as super-soft tires. I admit, first trying to compete with this time coming in with my older setup (above) was ambarrasing...I ran a 1'01.xxx. So I changed two things on my setup...

I changed the front spring rate from 12.1 to 11.5. I managed to run a 0'56.857 amongst 0'57.3xx laps. I noticed that the rear wanted to slide more than I wanted, so this time around I changed the rear downforce from .80 to .82 to make it more stable. I changed the auto setup gear ratio just barely from 40 to 39 and changed the brake balanced from 10 to 16 front and rear This helped, but not by much, I ran a 0'56.659.

This time around, I tried putting more brake in the car, but slightly more in the front. I put 18 in the front and 17 in the back. With this, I ran a 0'56.034.

What exactly am I missing? Please help!

Kooky
Update: I watched that GT-One video in the GT3 video section here and it ran a 0'55.xxx. It appeared to have a Stage 4 Turbo in it as well as super-soft tires. I admit, first trying to compete with this time coming in with my older setup (above) was ambarrasing...I ran a 1'01.xxx. So I changed two things on my setup...

I changed the front spring rate from 12.1 to 11.5. I managed to run a 0'56.857 amongst 0'57.3xx laps. I noticed that the rear wanted to slide more than I wanted, so this time around I changed the rear downforce from .80 to .82 to make it more stable. I changed the auto setup gear ratio just barely from 40 to 39 and changed the brake balanced from 10 to 16 front and rear This helped, but not by much, I ran a 0'56.659.

This time around, I tried putting more brake in the car, but slightly more in the front. I put 18 in the front and 17 in the back. With this, I ran a 0'56.034.

What exactly am I missing? Please help!

My brother, let me help. The solution seems so simple, at least in my mind. Get rid of that ASM Stability crap...as much as you can. This is slowing you down in those corners, no doubt. I would remove it entirely, but since you're used to driving with it on, try backing those ASM settings down to 2 or 3. And again, try taking your traction down to 1. Your throttle is probly being hampered in those tighter corners. You'll be surprised how little TCS you actually need. Personally, i only use it when i need to get a clean start in a race..otherwise, i leave it off cuz i love smoke. :)

You can expect a bit more looseness once you've done all this, but once you get the hang of it, you should have more freeness. You'll need to modulate the throttle a bit more, and probly need to work on your countersteer as well, but trust me, here's where i would start.

First off, thank you for your help...anyways, I did try getting rid of the TCS, but the looseness and the wheelspin slowed me down. Is the hand brake ever needed? I don't use it often...

The good news is that I brought this setup back to Apricot Hill with the medium tires put back and the stage 4 turbo taken off, I ran a 1'10.108.

Take the rear chamber angle down some, on high HP cars I use 0.5.
It helps with grip as well. And try this on the diff,

Limited-slip Initial Torque: 0 15
Limited-slip Accel: 0 30
Limited-slip Decel: 0 20

This settings some times helps.

Kooky
First off, thank you for your help...anyways, I did try getting rid of the TCS, but the looseness and the wheelspin slowed me down. Is the hand brake ever needed? I don't use it often...

You just have to get used to driving with the devices off or on a low setting. Once you're not using them so much, you'll get the hang of it. You'll actually be "driving" your car...it won't be interfereing so much. Control is key when you're trying to lower lap times and those devices tend to take some of that control away.

And you should never need to use a handbrake on any car unless it's front-wheel drive...and even then it should be used sparingly unless you're trying to get a huge drift going. Handbrake in a mid-engine car like the GT-1 will only cut your engine off or at least disturb its awesome power.

And like Angel said, you'll need to start messing with those LSd settings, especially when you're removing traction devices.

A very basic guide: Too much understeer under throttle means you might want less Accel. Too much understeer under braking means you might need less Decel. If your steering is too strong as you approach corners (you're steering into the inside wall, for instance) try adding Decel. If you find your inside rear tire smoking or hopping a bit under throttle, it means it is losing traction and you can try adding Accel. HTH

Back