I Need Some Lancia Stratos Tune Help

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hello. I created an account just for this haha.
Recently, I started a playthrough of GT4. I plan on using the '73 Lancia Stratos road car as it's my favourite car in the game besides the Rally version.
The thing is, even after using TeaKanji's guide to tuning and taking so many notes for myself I still just can't figure out one major problem I have with this car.
It's the body roll. It's much to extreme at high speeds and high rpm. Like a slight nudge of the wheel will make the centre of gravity shoot off to wherever.
I really don't know much about tuning cars and I thought I'd ask you guys.
Here are my current settings that I will keep for awhile until someone can help me out.
--
Spring Rate (kgt/mm): 12/16
Ride Height (mm): 100/110
Shock Bound: 4/6
Shock Rebound: 6/4
Camber: 2.0/1.5
Toe: 0/0
Stabilizers: 7/7
---
Downforce 30/30
---
Ballast Weight at 50 at a balance of -50

Sorry, I'm not used to forums and such. I only just noticed the sub-forum for tuning.
I can't seem to find the delete button for this thread so I can make a new one in the correct area.

I'll have a go at this later on when I finish work, but in the meantime, looking at your current setup, there's a few things that might be causing issues.

The main thing that stands out is the springs: I understand you were trying to mitigate body roll and make the car more sturdy, but lightweight MR's like the Stratos actually struggle massively with stability at high speeds if the springs are set higher than 7.0 or so. While the car will feel floatier with springs in the 5.0 - 6.5 region, it'll massively improve stability overall. To further improve stability, try raising the front camber to prevent the car from divebombing on every turn. Somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 should work.

Another thing that might be causing trouble, but I can't say for certain until I test it myself, is the front downforce. Some MR's can become extremely sensitive with max front downforce, especially on banked turns and elevation changes. Most infamous example of this is the Ford GT. If the car still feels unstable after tuning the springs and camber, this is where I'd look next. Reduce it to 20, try braking while turning to see how the car reacts, and raise in increments of 2 until the car handles well without divebombing.

I haven't tried tuning the Stratos road car yet, but I did tune the rally car for tarmac usage a few days ago. Try some of these settings as a starting point, perhaps:

springs: 5.5 / 6.8
ride height.: 100 / 120
dampers [bound]: 4 / 2
dampers [rebound]: 4 / 2
camber: 2.6 / 1.6
toe: 0 / 0
stabilisers: 6 / 7

LSD I: 10
LSD A: 10
LSD D: 55

ballast: 50kg at -50 balance

Last edited:
Ah thank you!
Using your rally car setup as a starting point already tamed the body roll by a large margin. It's stilll not where I'd like it but its already a lot more manageable.
Before I was almost relying on it to drift around long corners but now I feel like I can somewhat tackle these corners normally. I can try making small adjustments here and there as I learn how to tune in this game but if you were to do your own tuning and post your set up here for the road car I'd still have a look at that too.

Last edited:
Happy to help. I just finished up tuning the road car; yeah, this wasn't exactly a 1:1 transfer with the rally car. Probably for the better though, because it can run softer springs and more downforce. Here's the setup:

Shopping List​

oil change
rear wing
R muffler
brake balance controller
port polish
engine balancing
computer
custom transmission
triple clutch
R flywheel
custom LSD
turbo stage 2
R suspension
soft sports tyres
weight reduction stage 1 + 2 + 3

Settings​

tyres: soft / soft [S3 / S3]

brake balance: 8 / 4

springs: 5.6 / 5.6
ride height: 100 / 120
dampers [bound] : 5 / 2
dampers: [rebound]: 5 / 2
camber: 3.4 / 1.4
toe: 0 / 0
stabilisers: 6 / 7

gears: final gear to 5.500, then auto setup to 1, then final gear to 3.100, then set individual gears to 2.794, 2.250, 1.820, 1.484, 1.216, 1.000

downforce: 20 / 30

LSD I: 18
LSD A: 5
LSD D: 60

ballast: 60kg at -50 balance

ASM [O + U]: 0
TCS: 0

As I suspected, the front downforce was the issue, or at least partly. It only needs 20 front downforce to handle well, any higher and it just gets too shaky. It wears through its rear tyres very quickly, so sports mediums may be better for longer races. The car will handle fine with them but a longer final gear or a higher LSD Acceleration might be needed for better corner exit traction. I suggest using the same compound on front and rear, or otherwise it'll throw the car off-balance. Hope that helps out.

Last edited:
Okay yeah.
That's basically almost entirely eliminated the problem I've been having with body roll and your other tune settings made the car handle very well overall (I think my other problem was that the car kept understeering too much).
Now I think it's just a matter of actually getting good at driving with my controller on an emulator haha.
Many thanks for helping me out here.

Oh and before I was using the gear trick with a wide setup but now I feel like I'm piloting an italian rocketship going with close gears.

Latest Posts

Back