I only race on Midfield now.

I have just totally lost the spark to even tough any track anymore. I just test cars on Midfield all day long. Kind of like Grindewalde in GT2.

Any ideas on how to spice up the rest of these tracks.......

Gee - I'd be real careful of testing only at Midfield - that circuit masks oversteer. I set up an Elise Motorsport there, which I thought I had nailed, with just a little oversteer on exit.

Come the first Elise trophy event at Deep Forest, the Elise I thought I had set-up beautifully became an uncontrollable oversteering monster.

Now, I test at Apricot Valley - much more a complete test for a car.

Originally posted by I Dont Want Friends
Is superspeed way a good testing out level? :confused: :confused:

No - only tests high speed cornering.

You're missing out on a lot of other important stuff, like low speed turn-in, traction out of slow corners, how the car handles over kerbs, what the car's like when you turn quickly left to right (or vice versa), behaviour under brakes - pretty important stuff!

thanks, i will try some of the cars i have tuned on Midfield tomorrow and try them at Apricot for alittle while, that is a pretty nifty course actually. I will tell you how it goes. but for now i am tired and refuse to touch the controller.

Is superspeed way a good testing out level? :confused: :confused:

I wouldn't think so, some of the other tracks have right turns, too! :eek: Also, the lack of elevation changes, chicanes, S-curves, different radius corners, etc make it a not-so-great test track. I usually use Laguna Seca or Deep Forest.

Originally posted by spaceviper
thanks, i will try some of the cars i have tuned on Midfield tomorrow and try them at Apricot for alittle while, that is a pretty nifty course actually. I will tell you how it goes. but for now i am tired and refuse to touch the controller.

I understand.

Good mix of corners there - the first corner, that flat out left hander, and then into heaving braking for the next corner, is a beauty. That will find out oversteer everytime.

i find and think that the best place to test a car is complex string. its the most varied of all courses. you get a bit of everything, and if a car is solid on complex, it'll be solid anywhere :D

Originally posted by Angel O'Death
i find and think that the best place to test a car is complex string. its the most varied of all courses. you get a bit of everything, and if a car is solid on complex, it'll be solid anywhere :D

True - but I've developed a tic when racing there after the time trials...

I love complex string :)

Excellent course...

Tests slalom abilities, multiple-apex bends, chicanes, decreasing radius J bends, inclined traction gain/loss, the works as far as I'm concerned.

If you want a track to test traction outta turns, take a spin on my favorite course. Yes, that would be Cote d' Azure :D

I tend to disagree with those who say that Midfield is not a good testing track. I used it in GT2 and have continued to use it in GT3. Even though it is a relatively high speed circuit it does have a couple of high speed bends and turns, as well as a nice sharp corner which tests your brake set up as well. Of course every track is different, but using Midfield as a baseline and working from there is a good start. Each to thier own i guess, but i'll be sticking with Midfield.

:cool:

It is amazing when you use some 4WD car on this course backwards !! Sheer fun !! I tried it out with my Corolla , Focus, Impreza and Lancia Delta Integrale. Also the GT40 did a wonderful job there.
I even tried it once with my Zonda racer to find out that if correct track and settings given, that car is also a rocker !! :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by vat_man
Gee - I'd be real careful of testing only at Midfield - that circuit masks oversteer. I set up an Elise Motorsport there, which I thought I had nailed, with just a little oversteer on exit.

Come the first Elise trophy event at Deep Forest, the Elise I thought I had set-up beautifully became an uncontrollable oversteering monster.

Now, I test at Apricot Valley - much more a complete test for a car.

I didn't realise this before, but my best cars were all tested at Apricot Valley.

So I'm on your side there.
:)

I personally like complex string but it is a bit long although has pretty much every corner you can imagine. Midfield is a bit short so Apricot Valley is a good comprimise. Laguna Seca is good as well though.

I test on Grand Valley a lot(!!!) Although GVS can truly mess up your gear ratios for other tracks, under- over- steer and sideswiping is easily corrected there.

...now I'm gonna reboot my PC cuz' I haven't done that in like 5 days :P

I've used Complex String alot, but I don't really have the patience to do multiple laps, while adjusting my car.
I defiantely don't use it if I just have to see if my laptimes are improving. But I still find it entertaining to do the occational lap once in a while.

i need to learn my manual gear changes for apricot hill so it will take me at least a week to get what i want with that, but i will get back to you i promise. peace.

What is a good track to learn to drift on?? :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Hmm... there was a great thread about this here somewhere. I'll hunt for it if I build up the energy - Somethin' about Drift FAQ I think the subject was?

<shrug>

Anyways, to start with the basics, a good course is the Speedway. What you do is grab a car like the Viper (not too hard to catch) or probably the best would be the Toms Chaser (I think it's called - if you've got one). Just turn off the TSC and ASM and keep goin' around until you can drift through both corners. Then, it's just a matter of applying the same skills to the other corners.

I'll see if I can find the thread, 'cause I can't teach to save my life. (Hope it never comes to that).

**Edit** ok - I found the thread - the bad thing is it's not on GTPlanet. :) Forgive me for straying away from the flock. lol

http://forum.granturismo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62506

Or, just an HTML version: http://www25.brinkster.com/m3kon/dori_kin/mekons_drift_glossary.htm

Back