I still feel pumped over a race I did half an hour ago.

• Thread starter flanylla
  • 9 comments

flanylla

(Banned)
United Kingdom
England
FR Challenge in GT1, race 3 (Grand Valley II), in a Toyota Supra 3.0 GT tuned to 429HP. What a race, it literally took my positive feelings for GT1 now and accelerated them up faster than that car could go from 0-100.

Never, EVER had such feelings for a racing game before... now I see why GT1 was so loved and revolutionary. Easily my favourite GT game just for this race alone, just proving that the AI and physics make this an incredibly adrenaline pumping, absolutely rewarding and completely brilliant game...

I'll upload a video later. But what do you think? IMO GT2 and later games just feel tame, GT1 is like a monster to drive in comparison but so rewarding. XD

I'm actually smiling writing this post :)

I'll admit, half the reason why I love GT1 and other PS1 games is because I didn't get a PS2 until mid-way into the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii generation of consoles, so I got well acquainted regardless. However, GT1 is still a fairly frequently revisited game for me. Absolutely love it.

I remember on New Year's Eve I was doing the SS Route 11 All Night I with a fully race-tuned GTO '92 (the non-turbo one) against a GTR LM and a Castrol Supra GT. Closest race I've ever done in GT1. Granted, the chicane caused a few problems and I did lose with about 5-6 seconds to the GTR, but it was a really fun and intense race. As Heaven Is Wide was playing too so that was a big bonus. I also remember doing the UK/Japan/US VS championships with countless different cars, pretending to be my own 1-man racing team as a kid :lol: and the Megaspeed Challenge... going past the other cars and hearing their engines go all high-pitched like as if the drivers all really put their foot down on the pedal.

I deffo agree that there is a certain raw feeling with GT1 that just isn't there with the later GTs. Whether it's because its the first GT of my own raw childhood stages, IDK but sadly I don't think that feeling will ever truly be recaptured in a future GT game again.

Brilliant post (and what a nicely fitting username for my original post)!

But yeah... Polyphony just gave it there all with GT1. Copped out badly with mostly all the others tbh in terms of that overall feel when racing, GT3 coming pretty close to GT1 IMO but not having the same feeling when driving as GT1 has gives me lately!

Like, I used to LOVE GT3 and GT4 over GT1, now I feel the exact opposite. In fact I really dislike GT4 and later especially as it tried to be too realistic and the AI are like GT2's, just way too tame to be worth competing against. 1 and 3 feel actually challenging against the AI :D

It comes as little surprise though. GT1 was the pioneer, and GT3 was like a blend of GT1 and GT2(GT1 style outcomes, GT2 inspired aesthetics). So yeah.

I have a sweet spot for GT1. It's the shortest, yet least boring entry in the series imo. The AI in that game actually is properly tuned (and not using a simple power multiplier + tires like in later games). they're fast and aggressive, the soundtrack is awesome in all regions... and it's the quintessential Japanese racing game for that era. When I play GT1, I feel the same as if I am watching an episode of Best Motoring . It's a feelsgood game for me and one I regularly come back to. I also want to start speedrunning it one day, but that'll wait for me to find a chipped TSC PS1 (I have a PAL chipped model) and a copy of GT1 JP.
I love all the GT games, but I still get bored much quicker in the later entries than in the PS1 titles. I think it's because as they get more realistic, they lose the fun aspect. Personal opinion of course.

Still, with GT2 modding in full blast, i'm hoping to make the ultimate GT2 overhaul in the future :3

Last edited:
Haha I can see that in the entry list right here, right now (the tuning stuff), I don't think that appears in any other GT with the weight and HP, because of power multiplier stuff?

It could be that, but I also think it's because PD thought the list was a bit pointless. (I sure don't)
It still allowed them to hide how insanely more powerful some opponent powers are compared to what you can achieve via upgrades in GT2. (Mine's Evo at 590hp instead of 520, TRD 2000GT at 630hp instead of 509...)

wtf is wrong with the colors? o.O
They're fins when int he shadows but broken when in the light, that's super weird.

For some reason I had the “brilliant” idea of recording from an incredibly stupid angle from a PSone’s LCD.

Not going to reupload though. Sorry if that was well, unwatchable :P

Back