I think my 360 Slim may be done...

• Thread starter f1reb1rd
  • 12 comments
I purchased an Xbox 360 Slim two Christmases ago, and it has worked perfectly... until about a week ago. It's so slow now, I've got some examples on startup speed

Startup (before login screen): about 5 minutes

Login Screen Load (avatars haven't loaded yet): about 10 minutes

Logging in (before login popup): about 7 minutes

Login popup: Im waiting for about ten

I only get logged in to my LIVE about 1 out of 10 times, so if I get one of those 9 times, it's a waste of 30 minutes. I've tried disconnecting my router like my Xbox said to do, but it doesn't seem to help me at all. I'm not too smart in this field, that's why I came here for help before I contact Microsoft about it (probably do it this afternoon). So could anyone try to figure out what's wrong with my 360S? Thanks!

Could be a problem with the hard drive, that's what I usually turn to first when a system is slow but still functional. Could be corrupted software or a hardware problem, does it make loud repetitive clicking sounds or anything like that?

Have you ever cleared your cache? Very important to do this on the 360. Takes only a coupe seconds.

To clear cache

1. Go to the system blade on the dashboard
2. Go to the right to Memory
3. Press Y
4. Click "Clear Cache"
5. Click Yes

Could be a problem with the hard drive, that's what I usually turn to first when a system is slow but still functional. Could be corrupted software or a hardware problem, does it make loud repetitive clicking sounds or anything like that?

No, my hard drive works excellently.

Have you ever cleared your cache? Very important to do this on the 360. Takes only a coupe seconds.

To clear cache

3. Press Y
4. Click "Clear Cache"
5. Click Yes

I'll try it, thanks!

No, my hard drive works excellently.

May I ask how you know that? Genuine question, I don't know if there are tests you can run on the 360 or not. I would imagine clearing the cache would probably be the answer though.

Sound unusual for a console to run slow after 2 years. I'm guessing is an issue of hardware rather than software. I'd clean out dust first because overheating does slow down the hardware.

I've had mine about 2 years. Startup is slow, but by slow I mean 30-60 seconds. No issues after that.

To clear cache

3. Press Y
4. Click "Clear Cache"
5. Click Yes

Didn't actually know that was there. Thanks.

👍

May I ask how you know that? Genuine question, I don't know if there are tests you can run on the 360 or not. I would imagine clearing the cache would probably be the answer though.

He could also take the hard drive out and start the console without it just to see how it starts up and if it does so normally, the HDD is the problem.

Alright guys, I cleared my cache an my internal and purchased hard drives, still slow. I'll try to open it to see how dusty it is :)

EDIT: I believe it's dust, but I don't have Torx screwdrivers to open it. I'll probably run into town tomorrow or Sunday to pick some up. Anyways, thanks for the help, guys. Hopefully I'll be playing Minecraft 1.9 soon :P

Last edited:
Alright guys, I cleared my cache an my internal and purchased hard drives, still slow. I'll try to open it to see how dusty it is :)

EDIT: I believe it's dust, but I don't have Torx screwdrivers to open it. I'll probably run into town tomorrow or Sunday to pick some up. Anyways, thanks for the help, guys. Hopefully I'll be playing Minecraft 1.9 soon :P

Good luck. 👍
And if it helps (so you know what you need specifically), you need T9 and T10 Torx screwdrivers. 👍

Back