I think PD put the start/finish the wrong way on Sierra

• Thread starter Unwaratrex
  • 29 comments
I did about half a lap in reverse and it was great fun too. It would be nice to have the option of Sierra (Reverse) but I don't see it happening with this location. I feel an environment of this size is carefully designed in graphical terms to limit such shortcomings. Assets are placed based on the players anticipated POV and performance could be affected by going the opposite way. I think.

Actually, I have a habit of trying circuits in reverse. Nordschleife is fantastic but messes with your head as you know where you are but all reference points for braking are redundant. Inevitably you will panic and get closely acquainted with the barriers.

To sum up... Sierra in reverse is fun.

^I've driven Spa reverse in Grid Autosport. Eau Rouge reverse is basically a much faster, taller, and longer version of Laguna Seca's corkscrew :scared::crazy:

I just tried driving the whole lap of Sierra in reverse. Wow. The corners flows so much better. In forward direction I find there's too many blind uphill corners. In reverse these corners become downhill and you can see the exit clearly. The jumps also become less severe. And having the cliff on the left and water on the right feels more "right" somehow.

I hope PD adds an official reverse version in the future 👍

^I've driven Spa reverse in Grid Autosport. Eau Rouge reverse is basically a much faster, taller, and longer version of Laguna Seca's corkscrew :scared::crazy:

I just tried driving the whole lap of Sierra in reverse. Wow. The corners flows so much better. In forward direction I find there's too many blind uphill corners. In reverse these corners become downhill and you can see the exit clearly. The jumps also become less severe. And having the cliff on the left and water on the right feels more "right" somehow.

Totally agree. Almost all the Gran Turismo original tracks have the reverse option, this one should have it too!

Agreed. A reverse version would be far better for actual racing on competitively.

I have to disagree. The scenery is clearly 'designed' to be seen from the way we are currently driving - if you look closely, the details are rougher and sometimes even small parts look incomplete, unfinished.

I also do not agree that the driving is better in reverse direction: the amount of blind corners actually increased, for every section that becomes easier another becomes much harder. Particularly the first third of the lap (the last third normally) just felt unnatural and very blind into the corners.

Still, I do not see why the option should not be available, it's clearly possible (but then, I think it should be *all* tracks).

I was surprised that we don't get to run it in reverse...

.. though, if it was the other way around, this thread would still exist --- some people just like to watch the world burn.

In some areas when you are going forward and there are trees to the left, you can tell they are 2D sprites that are angled towards you.
Going in reverse would mean you just see a | rather than the trees themselves.

In some areas when you are going forward and there are trees to the left, you can tell they are 2D sprites that are angled towards you.
Going in reverse would mean you just see a | rather than the trees themselves.
They are still facing you, check in photomode how they "rotate".

Do you know why Zahara doesnt have reverse?

A: Because PD didnt bother to change all the signs position to face reverse.

Definitely agree it's a shame there's no reverse config.

I said this in another thread, but after running both directions a lot (most touge rooms run two way traffic), I can definitely say that forward is much easier than reverse.

Reverse has much more blind corners which require real commitment to execute smoothly. There are also many more sections which require subtle braking control.

Forward has more "heavy" braking zones (typical of most modern circuits), followed by a slow speed corner, followed by an uphill (running forward, going down the mountain, even the downhill hairpins have a quick uphill immediately afterwards).

Also, going forwards, the uphills are not as steep, and are a lot longer than in reverse.

Based on these observations, forward definitely favours big power and high torque, while reverse favours agility, and straight up driver skill/balls.

I have to disagree. The scenery is clearly 'designed' to be seen from the way we are currently driving - if you look closely, the details are rougher and sometimes even small parts look incomplete, unfinished.

I also do not agree that the driving is better in reverse direction: the amount of blind corners actually increased, for every section that becomes easier another becomes much harder. Particularly the first third of the lap (the last third normally) just felt unnatural and very blind into the corners.

Still, I do not see why the option should not be available, it's clearly possible (but then, I think it should be *all* tracks).
Everyone has a part of the track they love. When i drove this in reverse for the first time when i was bored. I got flashbacks to the trailers that were released a LONG time ago when the flow seemed to be better.
Put it this way, driving the track forward you can pull it off with a FGT pretty easily after a few laps practice. Try doing it in reverse its not so easy. If they never do give us a reverse version that would be pretty disappointing. But i would rather them work on 1.13 then Remodel sierra again...

Glad everyone is enjoying the thread! Feel free to discuss other things about sierra!

I honestly thought it looked totally different then from the release trailer back in January. Weird... :odd:

I was surprised that we don't get to run it in reverse...
.. though, if it was the other way around, this thread would still exist --- some people just like to watch the world burn.
:lol: Probably true.. :cheers:

I'd Happily take a slightly less detailed "primary" view of trees and "scenery" to have 4 versions of each track
Original Direction
Reverse
Mirrored Original
Mirrored Reverse

i also couldn't care less if they didn't bother fixing the writing on signs.

Actually, get rid of all the signs/ banners/ flags/ fences and crap that does not exist, and just leave a generic steel armco barrier.

Circuito de la Sierra is a fictional track based on real everyday road. That's why it should be natural having an official reverse version of that track.

Online lot of us like driving clockwise because it's fun, you can enjoy new different views and... Why not?

"PD don't do that because of the signals " is a weak point because SSR5 is arguably a" one way road " (check signals) but there's the official reverse version.

That means we'll see official Sierra reverse? I don't really think so.

PD don't usually 'do' reverse layouts of tracks based on real world locations. If you look at the real world tracks there are not reverse versions.

Obviously Sierra is a weird one because it isn't a real world location per se but it is based on a real world location...

Curious. Not driven it in reverse, so will give it a whirl this eve!

PD don't usually 'do' reverse layouts of tracks based on real world locations. If you look at the real world tracks there are not reverse versions.

Obviously Sierra is a weird one because it isn't a real world location per se but it is based on a real world location...

Curious. Not driven it in reverse, so will give it a whirl this eve!

Eiger Nordwand Short is based on a real location. Rome, Tokyo R246, London and Madrid also. Yet they all have reverse variations. It's only actual real world circuits that don't have reverse.

Eiger Nordwand Short is based on a real location. Rome, Tokyo R246, London and Madrid also. Yet they all have reverse variations. It's only actual real world circuits that don't have reverse.
Touche fine sir, I stand corrected.

In other news, gave Sierra a whirl backwards last night. Really enjoyed it.

I think that no matter what a newly released track is like, some people will always think that the reverse variant would be soooo much better. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Saying that, I think it would be pretty simple to add a reverse version to make those people happy. Or maybe the course creator will be able to provide that...?

Interesting that the pull off areas that are on the Right-Hand Side, have the track logo painted on the tarmac as though you would be entering from the other direction.

Last edited:

I think the reason for that is because the tracks are not allowed to run in reverse because they do not have the required license to do so. As these variations of the circuits are quite accurate they cannot be run in reverse compared to say Grid Autosport, where you can run Spa in reverse. In fact, very few circuits have a license to be able to run in reverse, I know that Knockhill in Scotland is an exception.

Why would you need a license to program a virtual track to be run backwards? I mean, you already got the license to simply use the track, why would you need another license just to allow people to race on it the opposite way? :confused:

Possibly due to the fact that these tracks are not necessarily fit to be run in the opposite direction. On most circuits, after a braking area you will find a lot of run-off. If you run the track backwards, you get it wrong and you may find concrete there. I mean that the circuits themselves do not have this license, as oppose to PD.

I think the reason for that is because the tracks are not allowed to run in reverse because they do not have the required license to do so. As these variations of the circuits are quite accurate they cannot be run in reverse compared to say Grid Autosport, where you can run Spa in reverse. In fact, very few circuits have a license to be able to run in reverse, I know that Knockhill in Scotland is an exception.

I prefer it like that to be honest. For fictional circuits I'm all for a reverse variation, but for real tracks driving in reverse is so awkward since you're used to watching races going forward all the time. I hate it whenever a reverse track comes up in GAS. :crazy:

Back