I think this was the most amazing transition in graphics.

Chicano3000X
Chicano3000
Last gen, racers started to look realistic with the start of GT3. So we've been spoiled.

But from this:
gt2.jpg

To This:

That was the most amazing leap in Graphics since 3D.

Dont get me wrong, GT5 is still amazing, but GT3's leap was the fact that it introduced so much new technology into the series. Stuff like actual reflections, and the road reflecting the sunlight. Plus the deph of field, and the heat shimmering.

Did they take that out in GT4 btw?

Yep this franchise always set industry standards. Unfortunately GT5 took so long that by the time it was release there was nothing new graphic wise and the graphics looked aged.

Yep, that's great and all but we were talking about that in the GT3 section years ago. And that's where this thread will go.

Instead of looking at the graphic at level of just textures and polygons, there's also the progression in how GT handles motion especially in relation to the car's weight and suspension. Body-roll and suspension movement have always been in GT but not to the extent of where it is now, partly due to the PS3 processing power but mostly because of the improvement in the driving physics.

Of course GT5's graphics (minus the motion), in spite of the few misgivings, stands above everything else on the console (and PC) because to me it lacks pretension. It's simply about capturing reality. Here's a few frames captured (via my digicam) off my screen from GT5 actual gameplay (not photomode):

5505215163_0db181433e_b.jpg

5505810974_86e3ba1720_b.jpg

5505810176_6438d07ab2_b.jpg

Back