I Took GT6 For Granted

BarbarianGoth

(Banned)
Canada
Canada
Baptized_Soviet
Baptized Soviet
Maybe it was the fact that it was quite similar to GT5. Or the fact that it was released on the Playstation 3 when there where already shiny new consoles. Anyway, I didn't play as much of GT6 as I would've liked. In fact after the first year since launch, I hardly played it anymore. I had moved on to other games.

After playing Gran Turismo Sport, I went back to take a look at GT6 and I'm loving this game again. So many cars, you can lose hours buying cool cars and tuning them and testing them out for fun. Plenty of tracks to race on. Physics still feel great too. Is it as shiny or nice looking as GT Sport or other newer games? No. Does it have the most accurate physics compared to all the other sims on the market in 2017? No. But it sure has character, and is sure a lot of fun!

And Gran Turismo Sport is not a replacement for this game. At best, it compliments it.

Last edited:
I was just thinking something like this the other day, mainly in regards to maybe having the odd ps3 lying around in the future, and wanting to play GT6 on it again.

But firstly, are the GT5 updates still online for downloading and updating the game?.... Reason I ask is., If they aren't, then it's going to be an even weirder dilemma with GT6 for people wanting to maybe go back and play again or otherwise check it out for the first time. ...Especially if it really does become the last "proper" GT game.

If you were to acquire or buy a ps3 in the future that didn't have the GT6 updates on it (and if they aren't offering updates anymore after certain amount of yrs).... then you really are missing out on some major physics updates, bug fixes, DLC tracks, VGT cars, etc etc...

See, at least with GT5 you could get the Academy Edition / Spec 2.0 edition and have a lot of the updates on disk to install on a new ps3.

Last edited:
I was just thinking something like this the other day, mainly in regards to maybe having the odd ps3 lying around in the future, and wanting to play GT6 on it again.

But firstly, are the GT5 updates still online for downloading and updating the game?.... Reason I ask is., If they aren't, then it's going to be an even weirder dilemma with GT6 for people wanting to maybe go back and play again or otherwise check it out for the first time. ...Especially if it really does become the last "proper" GT game.

If you were to acquire or buy a ps3 in the future that didn't have the GT6 updates on it (and if they aren't offering updates anymore after certain amount of yrs).... then you really are missing out on some major physics updates, bug fixes, DLC tracks, VGT cars, etc etc...

See, at least with GT5 you could get the Academy Edition / Spec 2.0 edition and have a lot of the updates on disk to install on a new ps3.
Downloading the patches to the game and the online services being up are two different things entirely. You will always be able to get the latest patches even if the game's online services have been shut down. In fact, PD released one last patch for GT5 when they took it offline (mostly removing from the menus any online features). Now if they shut down PSN for the PS3, like Microsoft took down Xbox Live for the original Xbox, then you're SOL.

Could not agree more. GT6 IMHO actually aged very well. At its release it was a little unfairly maligned for not really offering anything new but what it did do it still did very well. And while some of its better content came later via download updates it made a great car collecting, car driving, car appreciation game even better. Right now I have GT6 setup on triple screens (now that used PS3s and extras copies of GT6 are fairly cheap) and it offers a level of immersion that even the latest 4K capable Forza can’t. Not to mention it still works great with my Logitech G25. All things that GT Sport is unable to do. So cheers to GT6 as it looks like we’ll be playing it for quite a bit longer until PD creates a true sequel if they ever do.

Could not agree more. GT6 IMHO actually aged very well. At its release it was a little unfairly maligned for not really offering anything new but what it did do it still did very well. And while some of its better content came later via download updates it made a great car collecting, car driving, car appreciation game even better. Right now I have GT6 setup on triple screens (now that used PS3s and extras copies of GT6 are fairly cheap) and it offers a level of immersion that even the latest 4K capable Forza can’t. Not to mention it still works great with my Logitech G25. All things that GT Sport is unable to do. So cheers to GT6 as it looks like we’ll be playing it for quite a bit longer until PD creates a true sequel if they ever do.
Yup, in terms of car collecting and exploring all the different cars that are out there in the world, I think only Forza 7 comes close. But I think GT6's physics are still superior. I even would go so far to say GT Sport's physics have taken a step back in certain areas.

I think Polyphony should've skipped the PS3 release, upgraded the visuals, turned the good standard cars into premiums and cut the rest along with implementing tessellation on all the cars, and release the game in say end of 2015 with the Sport Mode included, and everyone would've been happy. Because as it stands we have a next gen GT that took too long to come out (for what it is) with questionable physics and severely lacking content. Yes we have beautiful graphics, but so what? After the first few hours, you forget about them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know about the games' online services vs actual normal psn online and being able to download latest patches. (I was just wondering if GT5 still offered the patches even though it is offline)

So 10yrs or whatever down the line, when the ps3 has no games online or even the abilitiy to sign into psn, How would you get all the patches for GT6, after installing it on a stock ps3?

Yeah, I know about the games' online services vs actual normal psn online and being able to download latest patches. (I was just wondering if GT5 still offered the patches even though it is offline)

So 10yrs or whatever down the line, when the ps3 has no games online or even the abilitiy to sign into psn, How would you get all the patches for GT6, after installing it on a stock ps3?
You wouldn't be able to, simple.
Not unless they make it so you can download patches onto a USB from your PC and install it on your PS3, like you can with PS3 firmware. Fingers crossed they do that.

I never took GT6 for granted.

Didn’t mind the standard cars in their pixelated and blacked out interior glory. Also didn’t mind the AI. Didn’t mind the limited livery or driver editor. Didn’t mind the photo mode since there were enough track/car combinations to take thousands of pictures already in the game with variable time and weather options. Didn’t mind there were dozens of Skylines, MX-5s, RX-7s and NSXs, because I wasn’t forced to drive them if I didn’t want. Didn’t mind tuning and upgrading my own cars. Didn’t mind the PP system. Didn’t even mind the limited career mode. Didn’t mind having to use a tablet to access the course creator.

Didn’t mind that the game was all about what’s most important (to me), the driving experience.

Don’t mind me while I shop for another TV so I can reconnect my PS3/G27 just to play this game along side my PS4, because I *do* mind you can’t use an H-shifter in GT6 with a G29 in PS3 mode. But I digress.

I never really minded the pixelated cars either. I did miss the the proper license/mission tests though, and few other small things. But it was better, than GT5 imo. I think GT5 just holds a much stronger impression on people who played it at that time. So automatically when GT6 comes out, people will think it's a bad game because they aren't get the same impression they got from GT5.

As much flak as it got over the past few yrs, I reckon GT6 will be the one that everybody will want to go back to play in about 5 yrs from now. Mainly because of its accessibility to all the cars and whatever. I hated that at first, and preferred hunting the secondhand car market(for online uniqueness), but you can see that it will be handy in the future to able jump straight into the game and get whatever car you want quickly enough.

I didn't really mind the standard cars either. I rather have them in the game then not have them at all. Would I have prefer they cut the standards and replace them with premiums for a 3:1 ratio (3 standards cut to put in one premium?) Perhaps. But that's spilt milk at this point.

As for the duplicates, I'm sure factoring them out there where well over 600 unique cars so that's more than enough for me.

Some more special career events like in GT5 would've been nice as well as better seasonal events like we had in GT5. But the upgraded physics, more cars and tracks, and (slightly) better graphics as well as far faster loading times make GT6 the superior game.

GT6's biggest problem was the sense of deja vu. GT5 was a totally new experience, it was the reason I bought a PS3 and I do not regret it. With GT6, you didn't have that wow factor after playing GT5. Even if GT6 was the superior game.

The standard cars are the only thing I don't really like about GT6 but that's because I use cockpit view only. There are definitely enough premium cars to make me happy tho.

The standard cars are the only thing I don't really like about GT6 but that's because I use cockpit view only. There are definitely enough premium cars to make me happy tho.
Yeah, I use cockpit too. Still, at least they have a blacked out cockpit view. Before Spec 2.0 in GT5, there was no cockpit view at all for the standards.
But when you use a standard car's cockpit view, the blacked out interior forces you to focus on the road rather than looking at the beautifully modeled interiors. Of course, using bumper or hood cam achieves that concentration effect better...

Maybe it was the fact that it was quite similar to GT5. Or the fact that it was released on the Playstation 3 when there where already shiny new consoles. Anyway, I didn't play as much of GT6 as I would've liked. In fact after the first year since launch, I hardly played it anymore. I had moved on to other games.

After playing Gran Turismo Sport, I went back to take a look at GT6 and I'm loving this game again. So many cars, you can lose hours buying cool cars and tuning them and testing them out for fun. Plenty of tracks to race on. Physics still feel great too. Is it as shiny or nice looking as GT Sport or other newer games? No. Does it have the most accurate physics compared to all the other sims on the market in 2017? No. But it sure has character, and is sure a lot of fun!

And Gran Turismo Sport is not a replacement for this game. At best, it compliments it.
First time posting here in awhile, and thanks to your post, I decided to play some GT5/6. While I don't have a PS4 (yet), I do have Forza 7 (cringe), so the desire for a proper racing game is strong. Decided to restart GT5 first (lost my original save long ago somewhere), and my god...I missed that menu soooo bad. It feels so welcoming and relaxing and familar all in one...just like how a home should (and I'm not a big fan of jazz). I definitely don't miss the car sounds though lol, and the grind due to no online events is kinda a problem. I'll certainly be playing some old stuff today though!

Still online as of today. Just updated to 2.17 as I was messing around with some hybrid cars some time ago. However, the game and DLC are gone from the PS Store (only GT6 remains), but you can still redownload stuff from your download history.

I don't have a PS4 yet, but I'm getting one next week, and looking forward to GTS. To shake off the rust, I recently started playing GT6 again for the first time in about 2 years. It has been great fun, and I've had some great races online.

GT6 definitely has it's faults, but overall it was a blast to play. It was also the first GT I played with a wheel, so that helped shape my overall feelings toward the game. I've been playing since GT1, and making the switch from controller to wheel was well worth it.

Also, my 8 year old daughter has been playing on-and-off since this summer. Watching her go from being unable complete a lap at High Speed Ring without crashing multiple times to winning races against the AI at Bathurst has been fun to watch. It gave me an appreciation for the rubber-banding AI that I didn't have before. My daughter doesn't realize that the AI lets her catch up, but when she wins she's extremely proud of herself. It's not the design decision that experienced players wanted, but it really does a lot to make the game accessible to younger players.

By the end, GT6 was a great game. If PD had done a better job with finishing it on time, and a better job of managing expectations, this thread probably wouldn't have been necessary. I may have to give GT5 another spin too.

I don't have a PS4 yet, but I'm getting one next week, and looking forward to GTS. To shake off the rust, I recently started playing GT6 again for the first time in about 2 years. It has been great fun, and I've had some great races online.

GT6 definitely has it's faults, but overall it was a blast to play. It was also the first GT I played with a wheel, so that helped shape my overall feelings toward the game. I've been playing since GT1, and making the switch from controller to wheel was well worth it.

Also, my 8 year old daughter has been playing on-and-off since this summer. Watching her go from being unable complete a lap at High Speed Ring without crashing multiple times to winning races against the AI at Bathurst has been fun to watch. It gave me an appreciation for the rubber-banding AI that I didn't have before. My daughter doesn't realize that the AI lets her catch up, but when she wins she's extremely proud of herself. It's not the design decision that experienced players wanted, but it really does a lot to make the game accessible to younger players.

By the end, GT6 was a great game. If PD had done a better job with finishing it on time, and a better job of managing expectations, this thread probably wouldn't have been necessary. I may have to give GT5 another spin too.
You might have to "manage your expectations" for GT Sport.
If money is tight, I highly discourage getting a PS4 solely for GT Sport.
It's a decently fun game, but the core gameplay brings nothing new to the table, and the lack of content is quite underwhelming.

You might have to "manage your expectations" for GT Sport.
If money is tight, I highly discourage getting a PS4 solely for GT Sport.
It's a decently fun game, but the core gameplay brings nothing new to the table, and the lack of content is quite underwhelming.
Fortunately my PS4 is combined birthday/Christmas present, and my expectations for GTS are nothing beyond online racing. I still think it will be fun, but nothing will ever match GT4's career mode.

I started with a friend's copy of GT5 and it being the first simulator racer for me, I sucked. I got GT6 just to challenge myself and oh boy that is what it exactly did. played it almost daily for 2 years, the seasonal races added a flavour of leaderboards.

Contentwise it was vast, VAST!. loved to try different cars and tuning and would spend hours before you find a right one.

I got PS4 two years ago for GTSport. However I still have GT6 disc in my ps3, the only game that is run on my PS3 between PS4 play sessions these days.

I loved how it treated the user with respect. The interface clean. It considers the user to be intelligent.

I really never got a chance to play GT5 or GT6 in HD as I only had an SD tv and now I have tried them in 1080p the graphics hold up really well. It really is a shame that GT6 came out when the PS4 was already out there, and the PS3 took a back seat for a lot of people. I am enjoying GT Sport but it's very light on single player content, and by the time a lot more content is added the PS5 will be coming along. It never really feels like games in general can keep up with the ongoing console updates and usually the best games come out at the end of a consoles' life span.

I really never got a chance to play GT5 or GT6 in HD as I only had an SD tv and now I have tried them in 1080p the graphics hold up really well. It really is a shame that GT6 came out when the PS4 was already out there, and the PS3 took a back seat for a lot of people. I am enjoying GT Sport but it's very light on single player content, and by the time a lot more content is added the PS5 will be coming along. It never really feels like games in general can keep up with the ongoing console updates and usually the best games come out at the end of a consoles' life span.
Yup, GT5 came out somewhat late as well, four years after the PS3 launched. PS3/Xbox 360 actually lasted a really long time hardware wise. Most console life cycles are around 5 years before the next piece of shiny plastic gets released. PS4 is already four years old, that should say something.

It really is a shame that GT6 came out when the PS4 was already out there,

That's actually another thing that was up against it. People maybe didn't want to part with the cash, if it could go toward a Ps4..... And if they had already played GT5, they prob thought it wouldn't be all that different, and didn't bother with it.

When you think about it, it was an easy decision to pass it up at that time. Especially with GT5 still being online until June the next year.

Yeah, I use cockpit too. Still, at least they have a blacked out cockpit view. Before Spec 2.0 in GT5, there was no cockpit view at all for the standards.
But when you use a standard car's cockpit view, the blacked out interior forces you to focus on the road rather than looking at the beautifully modeled interiors. Of course, using bumper or hood cam achieves that concentration effect better...

I skipped GT5 on its release because sometimes life just gets chaotic and I didn't get a chance to play GT5 until it was at the end of it's run so I didn't know that about the cockpit view in GT5. I've always used chase cam in the GT series until now because GT6 has a more realistic cockpit view and now I can't drive any other way. I do have a few standard cars from the 80's and 90's and Im sure I'll get more standard cars as time goes on because I have every premium car in the game now.

My journey has been similar. I finished GT5 when I had the PS2 but then stopped playing all games for a few years. I then bought a PS4 and was disappointed when GT Sport arrived as there was no career mode.

That's why I bought GT6 (although I needed the PS3 console of course) and I'm really enjoying it and might be on the Super Licence now if it wasn't for those pesky karts that I don't enjoy and don't bother doing.

There is plenty to do on GT6 as you say and for the not-so-much-of-a-professional-but-more-a-casual-user this is just the perfect sim.

...But I think GT6's physics are still superior. I even would go so far to say GT Sport's physics have taken a step back in certain ...

I went back to play GT6 a couple days ago and I also think the physics in GT6 are superior to GTS (1.05 update). Id buy a copy of a GT6 upscaled to PS4 version if they would make it. Anyways more on the physics points, there is lack of front tire grip in GTS when the weight transfers to the front. It feels more realistic in GT6 than in GTS. Transfering weight to the front should improve front tire grip in corners and GTS the front grip does not benefit from weight transfers as well as it does in GT6.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo 6
Does everything GT Sport does . . . and more
Once the online stuff stops, it will be still playable and almost as good as GT4 was . . . :bowdown::cheers:👍

Back