I want to buy a track car

United Kingdom
Norwich
TheNorfolkDad
I hope I’ve posted this in the right place.

I’m based in the UK so no suggestions of old muscle cars, but I want to spend around £2000 on a car solely to be used on the track (so no need for MOT and tax).

Ideally I’d like rear wheel drive and naturally the E36 BMWs and MX-5s are looking like my best option, I’ve seen a few CLKs in the price range also but a lot seem to be automatic.

I’d then be looking at spending a bit of extra cash on suspension, brakes and lighter wheels with decent tires. I’m currently halfway through a Mk2 Golf project but always intended it for road use, but may have to get rid of it to make room.

I also recently sold my 350Z to make room for my A4 wagon, that car would be a dream for the track.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

I hope I’ve posted this in the right place.

I’m based in the UK so no suggestions of old muscle cars, but I want to spend around £2000 on a car solely to be used on the track (so no need for MOT and tax).

Ideally I’d like rear wheel drive and naturally the E36 BMWs and MX-5s are looking like my best option, I’ve seen a few CLKs in the price range also but a lot seem to be automatic.

I’d then be looking at spending a bit of extra cash on suspension, brakes and lighter wheels with decent tires. I’m currently halfway through a Mk2 Golf project but always intended it for road use, but may have to get rid of it to make room.

I also recently sold my 350Z to make room for my A4 wagon, that car would be a dream for the track.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Go for a MX-5.

There's a big thick catalogue of go-fast bits available from various racing categories around the world such as MX-5 Cup & Spec Miata from the U.S.

On top of that, replacement parts for a MX-5 are sooo much cheaper than E36 BMW parts.

Lastly & most importantly, the Mazda will make a much better track car than the BMW and, that's really what you're looking for isn't it.

For £2k you might even be able to find an MX-5 that someone has done much of the important stuff like suspension/wheels/tyres/seats/roll bar to already. Will probably be a little frilly around the edges for that money and maybe not exactly to your tastes, but it's possibly better than starting from scratch if you're only intending to use it on track.

I did think MX-5 would probably be the best and certainly cheapest option, but there’s something about them I just don’t like, plus not a big fan of convertibles. Perhaps I could weld a hard top roof on.

Think it will be a case of searching the net trying to find the right car for the right money. First job is fitting a tow bar to the wagon and getting a trailer! Thanks for your input chaps

What about an RX-8? Are they any good as track cars? They're dirt cheap but obviously the long term reliability and maintenance is an issue. I reckon an MX-5 is your best option, though if you fancy dying in a blaze of glory you could probably get an SW20 for your budget.

What about an RX-8? Are they any good as track cars? They're dirt cheap but obviously the long term reliability and maintenance is an issue. I reckon an MX-5 is your best option, though if you fancy dying in a blaze of glory you could probably get an SW20 for your budget.

I also hate the idea of an RX-8, it’s older brother would be amazing but wayyy our of my price range. MR2 would be good fun, but as with the MX-5 I’m not big on the looks. Hence why I got excited when I saw the CLK. I would most likely be able to stretch my budget if I held off for a year and maybe go for another 350Z.

I’m not big on the looks.
If you're only doing track work then how important are looks, really? For me if I was building a track car I'd be concerned about how fun the car is and how safe it is, with a lesser concern for reliability, but that's just me.

If you're only doing track work then how important are looks, really? For me if I was building a track car I'd be concerned about how fun the car is and how safe it is, with a lesser concern for reliability, but that's just me.

Yeah of course the priority will always be fun and safety, but if I can stretch my budget to something I really like the look of then that’s another possibility

I actually now looking into MX-5s and it seems like it would most likely be my best option after all. Would definitely need some tasteful mods to have it look the part.

Seems I’ll be after a Mk2 (supposedly better than the Mk1) more power, plenty available, looking at the 1.8l facelift model with 146hp. Anything else that may be desirable in that model?

I did think MX-5 would probably be the best and certainly cheapest option, but there’s something about them I just don’t like, plus not a big fan of convertibles. Perhaps I could weld a hard top roof on.

You can make a hardtop out of a Ford Mustang hood or any other hood if you want.

FB_IMG_1514681567308.jpg

This is the Miata that I race in and the solution to keep us protected from the environment was to weld a mustang hood to the car.

Honestly, if your looking for a track car, the mx5 is the best entry car into the world of tracking cars. A track car is best used with no care of looks. You are going to learn a lot of lessons driving it. With lessons comes mistakes which if you care for looks you chose the wrong hobby. Try Hard Parking if you care for looks.

Second, replacement parts are cheap for the mx5. This is a big reason why track rats gravitate towards the mx5. It is a solid performing car for the price and pound per dollar it will be the most rewarding driving experience.

Third, yeah about that driving experience... it will teach you so many lessons while you rev the crap out of it while staying flat footed on straights because you are going to get passed by every car on track on the straights. At least until you learn how to fully utilize the car. It will teach you how to use momentum to your advantage. Once you learn to drive the car in manners that use all of the strength of the car, you'll be ready to step up to the next level.

Fourth, searching for more power? That is the absolute last thing you need to throw money at in the MX5. Throw it towards suspension, Tires and brakes. You will be very surprised by what you can do on track with a 90 whp car that has been finely tuned with a good set of tires and suspension work. Added benefit of only having to change brake pads if you get a mx5 with just standard brakes from the 1.8 liter or 94 or later cars. All that needs to be done is get a set of raybestos st43 pads for the car and it will last all season of tracking plus stop amazingly. At this point the car should be hitting well above its power grade and you'll still be frustrated about getting passed on the straights, however after you taste the first car you pass in a turn, it will become a drug and make you realize that you will have better driving technique. Which leads into...

Fifth, decision time. You made mistakes, you have hit tire barriers, the car has been through the seven layers of track car hell. You have honed your driving technique, you have put a minimum amount of money into the car so you can save up a little sum knowing your ready to upgrade to more power. You will be at a big decision point with tracking cars. You could put more power into the mx5 at this point, or find another or find a car with more power to track. You have made all the amateur mistakes you possibly could have at this point so a nicer track car can be maintained much better at this point. The decision is yours, but before you make that decision along with the decision before I started this little rant.

Sixth, what do you want? Track time or garage time? I opt for track time. In order to appease track time the less money I can spend on maintenance, upgrades, repairs, the more track time I get. In doing so, I have tracked this car with the least amount of upgrades I could use; and as many fsctory partd i could. Something will break and being closer to fsctory components i csn gdt replacement parts a little easier from the local parts store versus the internet page I got a oh so great deal on a one off suspension bit that broke on the car during the first driving session of the day.

This is why racing a mx5 turns out to be the most cost effective way I get track time each year.

Last edited:
You can make a hardtop out of a Ford Mustang hood or any other hood if you want.

View attachment 726573

This is the Miata that I race in and the solution to keep us protected from the environment was to weld a mustang hood to the car.

Honestly, if your looking for a track car, the mx5 is the best entry car into the world of tracking cars. A track car is best used with no care of looks. You are going to learn a lot of lessons driving it. With lessons comes mistakes which if you care for looks you chose the wrong hobby. Try Hard Parking if you care for looks.

Second, replacement parts are cheap for the mx5. This is a big reason why track rats gravitate towards the mx5. It is a solid performing car for the price and pound per dollar it will be the most rewarding driving experience.

Third, yeah about that driving experience... it will teach you so many lessons while you rev the crap out of it while staying flat footed on straights because you are going to get passed by every car on track on the straights. At least until you learn how to fully utilize the car. It will teach you how to use momentum to your advantage. Once you learn to drive the car in manners that use all of the strength of the car, you'll be ready to step up to the next level.

Fourth, searching for more power? That is the absolute last thing you need to throw money at in the MX5. Throw it towards suspension, Tires and brakes. You will be very surprised by what you can do on track with a 90 whp car that has been finely tuned with a good set of tires and suspension work. Added benefit of only having to change brake pads if you get a mx5 with just standard brakes from the 1.8 liter or 94 or later cars. All that needs to be done is get a set of raybestos st43 pads for the car and it will last all season of tracking plus stop amazingly. At this point the car should be hitting well above its power grade and you'll still be frustrated about getting passed on the straights, however after you taste the first car you pass in a turn, it will become a drug and make you realize that you will have better driving technique. Which leads into...

Fifth, decision time. You made mistakes, you have hit tire barriers, the car has been through the seven layers of track car hell. You have honed your driving technique, you have put a minimum amount of money into the car so you can save up a little sum knowing your ready to upgrade to more power. You will be at a big decision point with tracking cars. You could put more power into the mx5 at this point, or find another or find a car with more power to track. You have made all the amateur mistakes you possibly could have at this point so a nicer track car can be maintained much better at this point. The decision is yours, but before you make that decision along with the decision before I started this little rant.

Sixth, what do you want? Track time or garage time? I opt for track time. In order to appease track time the less money I can spend on maintenance, upgrades, repairs, the more track time I get. In doing so, I have tracked this car with the least amount of upgrades I could use; and as many fsctory partd i could. Something will break and being closer to fsctory components i csn gdt replacement parts a little easier from the local parts store versus the internet page I got a oh so great deal on a one off suspension bit that broke on the car during the first driving session of the day.

This is why racing a mx5 turns out to be the most cost effective way I get track time each year.

Thanks for taking the time to respond in depth like you have.

As you say, power is my smallest priority right now, I want to get on the track, learn the ropes and have some fun. And there will be no corners cut on buying suspension/wheels/tires/brakes, I know myself and I will drive that car hard, I’m sure the age old saying “you buy cheap, you buy twice” also applies to car parts.

The single biggest mistake made by guys that track any car is, adding power before the car and they can handle it.

For a time gained per $/£/€ spent, you won't do better than the four tyres making contact with the track.

Brake pads such as those mentioned by @miata13B will make sure you have a brake pedal at the end of the race, rather than for the first 2 laps only.
Keep an eye on those discs though. If you see anything suspect, the bin is where they belong.

Finding a set of adjustable sway/anti-roll bars will give you a start in the handling department, before you upgrade to some adjustable coilover shocks/springs.

No tax and no MOT. Have you thought about how to get to the track with your track day car @ThePhantomAli?

This is a thread I need to keep an eye on. Very interesting subject.

I'll go counter-point and argue that the MX-5 is a little short on wheelbase for the track. I like it better as an autocross car than a track car. I'd go E36.

@Pete05 yup that’s one of the first things I’ll be looking at. A little backstory but I used to be into building cars mostly VWs, I had a Bora and still have my Mk2 Golf that I’m building, so not shy about fitting parts and know the importance of fitting decent parts.

@kikie it will be on a trailer, I will most likely drive it there until it’s heavily modified it becomes unroadworthy. My local track is snetterton but would also like to take it to brands hatch having raced it on GT Sport.

@kikie it will be on a trailer, I will most likely drive it there until it’s heavily modified it becomes unroadworthy. My local track is snetterton but would also like to take it to brands hatch having raced it on GT Sport.

If you are eventually going to trailer the car anyway, why not think about an old Formula Ford?

They're likely to be much quicker than any modified road car and because they're so light they're easy on parts and cheap and simple to maintain. You're also unlikely to ever loose money on one when you've decided you've had enough of it.

As cool as that would be, I would prefer to have a 2 seater car that I could take a passenger round a track with too, certainly while I’m still learning the ropes.

That being said it would be the next step up from go karting which I am pretty good at, I usually win or certainly get a podium finish whenever I go. It’s worth thinking about, thanks.

The Miata is an obvious choice, but what about a Bugeye or Blobeye WRX? They have plenty of power, AWD, and parts are widely available.

The Miata is an obvious choice, but what about a Bugeye or Blobeye WRX? They have plenty of power, AWD, and parts are widely available.

Simply not a fan of them, nor do I want an AWD car. 150hp on a lightweight RWD car I think would be a decent introduction to the track.

Simply not a fan of them, nor do I want an AWD car. 150hp on a lightweight RWD car I think would be a decent introduction to the track.
I wouldn't count them out if you can find a cheap one. They're pretty fun and forgiving. I own one and I absolutely love it. As for RWD cars, other than the ones that have not already been listed you might be able do an E30 (change the timing belt), or an N/A FC RX-7.

Last edited:
I'd go for an RS Clio of some description. I don't know what your budget entails when it comes to what year or spec you can find but I'd at least look for one with a Cup chassis.

The reason for this is quite simple, even when it comes to an MX-5 FWD is more forgiving for learning the ropes of track work and the RS Clio is one of the best FWD chassis' for fun, and thanks to a light kerb weight it's pretty brisk as well.

Go for the cheapest one between E36 and MX5. Miatas here tend to cost about 50-100% more than E36s but I don't know how it is over there. The E36 has better used parts availability worldwide than the miata simply because they made so damn many of them and because people are still scrapping or crashing them.

Don't be scared about BMW as a brand, the E36 is basically a Civic. Mine has 205K miles and I rag on it HARD at the track. It also has cams, intake manifold, headers... so it's more stressed than stock. replacement E36 parts for suspension are ultra cheap if you don't go OEM. Coilovers are just as expensive on any car, the harness you put in will cost the same, track pads are always expensive.... Running costs of track cars tend to correlate more to the weight and size of the car rather than brand, and even then there are things like bucket seats or even the brackets for these seats that will always be just as expensive. I know people with miatas that have sunk 20K into them just because they use quality parts. The only upside of the miata in reliability is that there's less to break but you shouldn't care since you're probably stripping a lot of the electronics anyway.

Bottom line: Get the one you like the most, costs less, and you fit in. I might have gone for a miata if I fit in one, but for how expensive they are here I'd just go for an MR2 spyder which is worlds better than the "almighty MX-5"

Last edited:
Bottom line: Get the one you like the most, costs less, and you fit in. I might have gone for a miata if I fit in one, but for how expensive they are here I'd just go for an MR2 spyder which is worlds better than the "almighty MX-5"

Yup! I still like the E36 over the miata for track (rather than autocross) just for wheelbase, but I'm not sure the miata is second place. MR2 spyder is a solid suggestion.

I'd vote Honda/Acura Integra. Probably a B18B powered one to simplify things. Much more rigid than an MX-5 but it shares a similar 4 wheel double wishbone suspension setup. FWD, but they have a delightful chassis balance. They go sideways when/if you want to. I really loved mine when I had it. It was totally stock and kind of a battleaxe...I found it to be relatively indestructible. I'll buy another one day...a 90s reincarnation of the spirit of the Lancia Fulvia.

I really like the look of the Fiat Panda 100HP and would love to try a track-built one, I bet they're fun. Maybe a little top-heavy, mind you, but they are still fairly cheap.

If you are eventually going to trailer the car anyway, why not think about an old Formula Ford?

They're likely to be much quicker than any modified road car and because they're so light they're easy on parts and cheap and simple to maintain. You're also unlikely to ever loose money on one when you've decided you've had enough of it.
I've thought this kind of thing in the past, but unfortunately full open-wheelers aren't welcome at most trackdays. The OP would have to run it at test days etc instead.
I really like the look of the Fiat Panda 100HP and would love to try a track-built one, I bet they're fun. Maybe a little top-heavy, mind you, but they are still fairly cheap.
They look top-heavy, but that's just an illusion of the proportions. Stiff suspension, reasonably wide track for their size and sheer tininess means they feel pretty planted. Laterally, at least. The stiff suspension means they're a bit less planted over bumps etc...

I've thought this kind of thing in the past, but unfortunately full open-wheelers aren't welcome at most trackdays. The OP would have to run it at test days etc instead.

Of course. A test day is pretty much just a track day for non-road legal race cars. You tend to have a bit more freedom on circuit too, i know some track days have rules about where and what side you can pass other cars. But then you wouldn't want to run a FF1600 on a regular track day anyway as you'd be so much quicker than the majority of regular track day cars, it could be dangerous.

Back