Idea: Developing a real Track Creator/Editor

• Thread starter yossigab
  • 7 comments
YossiGab , GTP_YossiGab
Hi All,

Since GT5 doesn't have a "real" track creator/editor and it only has a track-generator I came up with an idea a long time ago and I've been thinking about it for quite a while now.

The idea is creating a track creator/editor on a PC. I am a SW developer my self and thought about it a lot but it is way beyond my available time (and some expertise probably). So I give my idea here so the community could take the idea and start working on it.

Here are the general steps of how to develop such a tool:
1) The generated tracks are saved as a part of the user progress file. So first there is a need to analyze save-file structure to distinguish the track from the user. This can be done as follows:
a) create a new user with no cars/trophies - keep the file simple
b) copy the file to SD
c) generate one simple track
d) copy the new file to SD
e) using HEX editor - analyze the file to discover the track data
f) modify the track a bit
g) copy the "new-new" file to SD
h) HEX editor - learn more
f) repeat it as many times as needed to understand the file and its mechanics

2) After understanding the file structure clearly, one can develop a PC tool that can create such files based on user request of parameters (corners, slopes, etc.).
It could be that in the first phases the SW should rely on a pre-generated track and only modify it (this could accelerate the development). Later on, the SW could be upgraded to have more design options.

If some PC SW developers would like to start working on such project I will be more than happy to help.

BTW: PD could have develop such a tool for the PC, and supply it in a separated disc (either by purchasing or free), but I think that Kaz would have wanted the tool to be on the PS3 and that is why we never had it (PD are not a PC software supplier).

What do you think?

Great Idea, but you're probably asking a bit much. Also such a complex process could turn off alot of folks who might prefer a more simple interface. Plus PD could likely interepret your actions as a hack.

I think what we have now is good enough to enjoy, Its possible that a few tweaks to the track maker could be added in an update (like they added camber).

well, regarding the hack - I don't know. You might be right but I don't intend to hack the original save file (like adding cars/credits etc.) only add tracks.

Regarding "simple interface" - It is up to the "sw developer" to decide the level of the complexity of the SW. Parts 1 & 2 above are referring to "how to develop" the software. I never said how the editor should look like (simple or complex).

well, regarding the hack - I don't know. You might be right but I don't intend to hack the original save file (like adding cars/credits etc.) only add tracks.

I know you (most likely) have no intention to "hack" I simply meant that it could be interpreted as one.

Kind of off topic but do any game developers allow independent companies to do such things as this? I know PC games are modded constantly and are much more open in this area.

Until the update of 1.05 the savegame was cracked and could be modified. After the update the protection has been raised on the file. Good luck with cracking the code first.

Until the update of 1.05 the savegame was cracked and could be modified. After the update the protection has been raised on the file. Good luck with cracking the code first.

I dont believe that was what he meant, I assume he wants to cooperate with them, or rather have them hand over their "code" and he or others would do the rest.

as someone who had done track creation in Gran Prix Legends, I'd say the days of hex editing and reverse engineering are likely gone unless info is made available. Not that it cant be done but there just isnt enough interest to get enough people with the skills working on it. That MAY happen after GT5 is abondoned, something I dont see happening in my lifetime :D

A1 'Ring '98 for GPL by Crossup

Back