Idea to make Online better

  • Thread starter Thread starter TopGearFan08
  • 21 comments
  • 1,600 views
Messages
123
Seeing as most of the players that ram people off the road are noobs, how about having a mandatory liscence test before your allowed online? If it is suitably difficult then we could ensure that only skilled clean drivers would be allowed to race.

There could be a 2 tier system, one for people without a racing liscence and one for people with the liscence.

I hope this isnt an old idea, just wondering what the rest of oyu think to this.
 
Seeing as most of the players that ram people off the road are noobs, how about having a mandatory liscence test before your allowed online? If it is suitably difficult then we could ensure that only skilled clean drivers would be allowed to race.

There could be a 2 tier system, one for people without a racing liscence and one for people with the liscence.

I hope this isnt an old idea, just wondering what the rest of oyu think to this.

Wouldn't work because it may stop honest new drivers from being able to use a feature of the game and also because skilled drivers are bashers too, they can drive around Suzuka so well and then still bash people off, if you don't believe me go play on PP700 Suzuka.
However, I do think that GT5 should incorporate race etiquette into the licence tests and maybe introduce flag rules etc.
 
There pretty much is exactly that now. You can't play anything but the beginner races now, until you finnish the a class races. I don't really know how much better the online races get after you start the pro races because i hate the boost system. It is probably the dumbest thing I have ever seen added to any sim game in my life. It baffles me that they put it in there. Without it the races would be much better because the same guy could only wreck someone once. Now they can wreck someone, catch backup and wreck the next guy. I'm sure pd will fix it though.
 
There pretty much is exactly that now. You can't play anything but the beginner races now, until you finnish the a class races. I don't really know how much better the online races get after you start the pro races because i hate the boost system. It is probably the dumbest thing I have ever seen added to any sim game in my life. It baffles me that they put it in there. Without it the races would be much better because the same guy could only wreck someone once. Now they can wreck someone, catch backup and wreck the next guy. I'm sure pd will fix it though.

Exaggerate a bit?
Its less of a boost, but can essentially be called that. Anyway, its not as bad as you're making out, the advantage it gives people is very minimal and although I too would like it taking out, I think you're exaggerating how bad it is.
Plus, this is exactly the kind of thing Polyphony is testing Prologue for, to find out what does and doesnt work.

Private rooms will solve most of the problems with idiots.
 
There pretty much is exactly that now. You can't play anything but the beginner races now, until you finnish the a class races. I don't really know how much better the online races get after you start the pro races because i hate the boost system. It is probably the dumbest thing I have ever seen added to any sim game in my life. It baffles me that they put it in there. Without it the races would be much better because the same guy could only wreck someone once. Now they can wreck someone, catch backup and wreck the next guy. I'm sure pd will fix it though.

I seen races work from least fastest(aka 1st place) to most fastest(like a Ford GT LM spec II test car at last place).

People use the slipstream behind your car to gain speed.
 
I think the best option would be to not allow cars from making contact with each other. Sort of like invisible cars without the invisibility look. You could still draft and etc.. just no contact.
 
That initially seems like a good idea, but it ends up being just the old time trial with ghosts and no battles.
 
I would like to see them get rid of the host, 1/2 the time i race, the host quits then your game ends.. sux
 
I would like to see them get rid of the host, 1/2 the time i race, the host quits then your game ends.. sux

I think what you really mean is: you would like to see host migration.
 
If the front half of your car comes into contact with another car, you are out of the race. I think that would be easy to program.
 
Exaggerate a bit?
Its less of a boost, but can essentially be called that. Anyway, its not as bad as you're making out, the advantage it gives people is very minimal and although I too would like it taking out, I think you're exaggerating how bad it is.
Plus, this is exactly the kind of thing Polyphony is testing Prologue for, to find out what does and doesnt work.

Private rooms will solve most of the problems with idiots.
When I see the entire 5 or 6 car wrecks where everyone is spinning out in front of me, and them coming back to only lose by 2 or 3 seconds it is not exaggerated.
 
If the front half of your car comes into contact with another car, you are out of the race. I think that would be easy to program.

Then if someone brake-tests you, then you get booted. That's not quite the right result.
 
Seeing as most of the players that ram people off the road are noobs, how about having a mandatory liscence test before your allowed online? If it is suitably difficult then we could ensure that only skilled clean drivers would be allowed to race.

There could be a 2 tier system, one for people without a racing liscence and one for people with the liscence.

I hope this isnt an old idea, just wondering what the rest of oyu think to this.


That would be great to try and sort out the drivers who really want to try to race properly from those who just want to play bumper cars but it won't work with the current system as all you'd have to do is download a save game with all licenses acquired.

Its been done to death already.
 
Private rooms would be rough though, because you could then just make a room with some friends, race the shortest course with the least amount of laps and then take turns winning...and profit!

Here's why I'm confused with the online stuff...the game KNOWS when you're going to wreck even before you do...so, why can't they just implement some sort of algorythm that calculates if a person can't make that turn or hit that wall or if they make a DRASTIC change of direction on a straight line.

This way, if you're on Daytona and you're going 160mph and somebody suddenly swerves 10ft over, the game goes "they must be trying to ram somebody" and then makes their car a ghost. Or you're coming into turn 1 at suzuka and somebody thinks they're going to use your car to brake and the game goes "oh you can't make that turn" and turns them into a ghost. Or even for the small stuff, you're side by side at daytona and it's the last lap the guy next to your decides to nudge you a bit so the game goes "you're on line and doing fine, he's trying to push outwards" and then makes him a ghost.

Wouldn't that get rid of a lot of the common dirty tactics?



edit: or maybe they could use a number next to peoples names to indicate how many people they have spun out per day they've been online. So if you see AwesomeRacer (19), you know you should probably keep away from him.
 
Seeing as most of the players that ram people off the road are noobs, how about having a mandatory liscence test before your allowed online? If it is suitably difficult then we could ensure that only skilled clean drivers would be allowed to race.

There could be a 2 tier system, one for people without a racing liscence and one for people with the liscence.

I hope this isnt an old idea, just wondering what the rest of oyu think to this.
Terrible idea.

The only thing that has proven to work is ability for the host to ban people from the room. Forza has this and LFS has this. If I'm hosting a room in Forza 2 and I haev damage on (or even with damage off) and someone is ramming others and they complain (which they will), the people affected by the person say their gamertag and I ban them from the room. Same goes with LFS, if you screw around and not race properly in a race room, you get kicked, and if you come back in again and do it again, you get banned by majority vote. A kick/ban system deters people from acting stupidly, that's how it works. In Forza, I would also ban people if they choose one of the unfair cars (elise 135r, 300zx, '67 stingray) and they refuse to change their car upon my request. Also this happens in a good majority of rooms when I'm not hosting. Sometimes I will have bad luck in Forza 2 and run into a room with 1 or 2 people who ram really badly or drive backwards. They're usually gone from the room quickly due to ban by host, or I just leave the room and find a better one (usually I find a good room without much trouble).

I think the best option would be to not allow cars from making contact with each other. Sort of like invisible cars without the invisibility look. You could still draft and etc.. just no contact.
Best would be to have both. Forza 2 has both (can have collisions on or off and when off draft is off as well).

People use the slipstream behind your car to gain speed.
I believe someone in another thread has already proven that if you are in 1st place, your laptimes drop significantly which means that the system slows you down significantly when you're in front, it's not just people "drafting" you. Simple "draft" will not make a person in 1st magically "drop" 2-4 seconds a lap.

Catch up is a feature that was annoying in the game NFS Underground. Being present in a game like Gran Turismo is utterly ridiculous if you ask me.
 
I believe someone in another thread has already proven that if you are in 1st place, your laptimes drop significantly which means that the system slows you down significantly when you're in front, it's not just people "drafting" you. Simple "draft" will not make a person in 1st magically "drop" 2-4 seconds a lap.

I feel the same way, I started in p3 one race at daytona, and before the first lap was complete I had made it to first place and put a fair distance between me and 2nd place (2nd and 3rd were bumping each other for p2). Then after about half a lap, 4 cars came up on me all going MUCH faster than me, everybody rammed into me threw me all around the track, I ended up in last place.

Yea, I know they could all have been drafting each other or what not, but I seriously doubt it since it literally was a destruction derby blob of cars. I may have been more inclined to believe it if it was some single file line of cars and they were taking turns draft-passing each other or something.
 
I feel the same way, I started in p3 one race at daytona, and before the first lap was complete I had made it to first place and put a fair distance between me and 2nd place (2nd and 3rd were bumping each other for p2). Then after about half a lap, 4 cars came up on me all going MUCH faster than me, everybody rammed into me threw me all around the track, I ended up in last place.

Yea, I know they could all have been drafting each other or what not, but I seriously doubt it since it literally was a destruction derby blob of cars. I may have been more inclined to believe it if it was some single file line of cars and they were taking turns draft-passing each other or something.

I have had this happen countless times... its such hard work to stay ahead when you are 1st, and someone can catch you when you are driving your heart out and risk losing as you have to push so much harder to keep the gap....
 
How to make the online better?
1st: get rid of this horrible somewhat catch-up online boost slowing the leader ... my car doesn't have such and i don't think a game calling itself a simulation should have such an arcade-game style feature! I want consistant laptimes when racing properly ...
2nd: how about a ranking system with points for the place you finished the race, win loss ratio, disconnection ratio as a host, fastest laptimes during a race,... stuff like this makes a game more interesting imo?
3rd: possibility to invite friends, setup a race with how many laps, which tyres and so on...
4th: voice chat
without these very basic features GT5p is getting old quickly because its a bit boring racing randomly people without getting an award for your efforts beside the prize$ you can buy nothing for once you own all cars.
I hope someone from PD is reading this and gets it going ...
:bowdown:
 
How to make the online better?
1st: get rid of this horrible somewhat catch-up online boost slowing the leader ... my car doesn't have such and i don't think a game calling itself a simulation should have such an arcade-game style feature! I want consistant laptimes when racing properly ...


agree 100%, then private rooms, then options for collision/draft on/off, then stats, thx :)
 
Aslo i think if you play on Expert races, after the race is over you should vote on drivers in the race. If the was good players or bad players, and if you voted bad, the online match making will avoid that player for you.
 
Won't work, most of the noobs can actually drive pretty quick, they just don't respect others.
 
Won't work, most of the noobs can actually drive pretty quick, they just don't respect others.

Exactly, so that's the point of kicking/banning. Defers people from acting stupidly. If it deters people from doing it in Forza 2, then it'll defer them in Gran Turismo too. They'll get tired at some point of constantly finding new rooms.
 
Back