Ideas for improving the penalty system

• Thread starter CnPx
  • 21 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
At the moment the penalty system is terrible imo. Its clearly rushed through as fast as possible and I would rather not have it at all then have this complete meme of a system. So here are some ideas on how it could be improved.

My 1st suggestion would be to add the penalty onto your race time and the person with the lowest race time wins the race. This would stop cues of cars driving at 50MPH in the middle of the track causing an obstruction. This is suppose to be a driving sim so it should be more realistic and irl you don't have random cars driving ridiculously slow in the middle of the track. You could also impose the penalty in the pit lane when you enter the pit lane the team doesn't touch the car for the time period. 5 second penalty would mean 5 second longer pit time. This is how penalties are served in real life. This is my person favourite out of the suggestions and I believe is the most suited for the game.

My second suggestion would be what they have in real life which is a Drive-Through penalty. This is when a car is asked to drive through the pit line at pit lane speed. This is normally done after the driver receives a warning but continues to do the same thing or of course they commit a more series offence in which the driver doesn't get a warning and receives the penalty instantly. I don't think this will work as well in GT thou as this penalty could be to long.

IRL you also get Penalty-stops. This is kind of obvious but with this penalty you have to stop for a certain amount of time normally with your race team at in the pit lane or at the end of the pit lane. I think this would actually be a good idea (Providing you don't have to drive through the pit lane). If you can just stop at the end of the pit lane without having to drive through this would be better then having cars driving to slow on the race track.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My suggestions for improving when penalties are dealt to players.

For crashing into a barrier the level of impact and time saved should be how long the penalty is. At the moment you receive the same 5 second penalty no matter how you hit the barrier which makes no sense. A sticker on your car could slightly scrape the barrier which is apparently the same as hitting it face on? If you slightly scrape the barrier this should be allot less then completely wall riding it.

Another improvement is penalties should NOT be given if you hit the barrier because of another car. If someone slams on the breaks or swerves to the side resulting in you avoiding them and hitting a barrier this should not lead to you being punished.

Crashing twice over the same incident should not lead to multiple penalties. If you bounce off 1 wall into another this should only give you 1 penalty.

Hitting the inside of the corner,
Scraping the barrier on a straight road,
Hitting a barrier head on,
These 3 things should all NOT give you a penalty. You are already loosing time due to these things and their for being punished multiple times over the same thing. When you ten to do these thing, its mostly due to avoiding another car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you all think about the current state of the penalty system? Do you think its good how it is or do you agree it needs to be improved?
Me personally I have played a fair few racing games and I think Gran Turismo 7 has the worst penalty system out of the ones which contained one. In its current state I would much rather not have 1 at all then one as this and that's coming from someone who likes penalty systems when they are done properly. I don't even play Sport mode as in most races people abuse this meme of a system and go out their way to cause players to crash thus causing them to receive a penalty. If you agree with me then we need to work together and make PD aware that this system needs to be fixed.

Stay awesome and sim drive safe everyone!

What do you all think about the current state of the penalty system? Do you think its good how it is or do you agree it needs to be improved?
Me personally I have played a fair few racing games and I think Gran Turismo 7 has the worst penalty system out of the ones which contained one. In its current state I would much rather not have 1 at all then one as this and that's coming from someone who likes penalty systems when they are done properly. I don't even play Sport mode as in most races people abuse this meme of a system and go out their way to cause players to crash thus causing them to receive a penalty. If you agree with me then we need to work together and make PD aware that this system needs to be fixed.

Stay awesome and sim drive safe everyone!
I think you're right possibly. I think it's always been bad. I think it wasn't much more than copy and paste from GTS.
Have you read this : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/penalty-system-is-still-a-piece-of.378725/

I think you're right possibly. I think it's always been bad. I think it wasn't much more than copy and paste from GTS.
Have you read this : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/penalty-system-is-still-a-piece-of.378725/
Isn't 95% of this game copied from GT Sport lol? Nah ive not read that before but that's literally why I don't even bother with sport mode. All the races in sport mode ten to be a destruction derby rather then a race. So many things in this game stop it from feeling like a simulator for example the penalty system, rubber banding, bad AI...
1 of the things that looks stupid aswell is when you look at the people outside of the track waving the flags and stuff they look like they haven't been updated since the ps3. The people look terrible and I'm on PS5?!? This company has gotten so lazy like they have completely given up!
Sony claim they don't do day 1 releases on PS Now because they want their games to be high quality but if they are just copy and pasted from the previous instalments other then a few changes then I don't understand why the hell it costs £70. If that's what quality is these days then someone needs to phone the dictionary and get the definition changed 😂

It needs a lot of work.
People can gently push you from behind or from the inside and take the position.
As a temporary measure I think they should ramp up the penalties even for the small contacts.
I think they did something similar in GTS.
How did that work out anyone remembers?

I agree that the current system is often frustrating, both in the way the penalties are given and served, and the penalties in themselves. Having said that, I still prefer the current penalty’s serving system than the one we had in gts (at least at some point) where you could serve the penalty anywhere throughout the race. In GT7 offline mode, this is still the way it works.

Here’s some of my suggestions:

General
The game should have a penalty slider to adjust the way the penalties work. Daily races A and B for example can’t have too severe penalties because they’re really short. Might as well disqualify people. Even for race C, the race should be a bit longer to accommodate some of the suggestions I’m going to offer and/or the ones you offered.

All penalties should increase a safety multiplier for that race. This would penalise people who keep driving dangerously from those who just made a mistake.

Once you start serving a penalty on the designated area off the racing line you would ghost until completing the next corner.

Shortcuts
Low severity penalties: penalty should be twice as long as the time gained and added to the race time at the end of the race.

Medium severity penalties: penalty should be twice as long as the time gained and added to the race time at the end of the race up to 3 seconds. Above the 3 seconds you would have to serve the amount of time accumulated at a designated area off the racing line. Contrary to what happens now the designated area would be project only off the racing line. If you fail to serve the penalty in the next 3 laps you would be disqualified. If the race ends and you had 1 lap to serve the penalty you would get 15 seconds added to the penalty and 30 if you had 2 laps. In case the penalty was awarded in the last lap that time would be added to your race time.

High severe penalties: this is exclusive for GTWS and similar online events. If the time gain is below 0.5 seconds you get a warning. After 3 warnings you get a 3 seconds penalty. The way you serve this penalty is the same as the medium severity penalties. The next time you gain above 0.5 seconds due to shortcut you will have to serve a 3 seconds penalty again in the same conditions as the first one. Shortcuts where you gain more than 0.5 seconds will give an automatic 3 seconds, plus the time gained, penalty and will be served the same way. On the third 3 seconds penalty, you would have to drive through the pit. Failing to do so on the next 3 laps would get you disqualified. If the race ends in the meantime you get 15/30 seconds added to the race time, dependent on the laps you had to serve the penalty. In case the penalty was awarded on the last lap, yo get 5 seconds added to the race time. Under the severe penalties slider, situation where you currently get reset would immediately disqualify you. Some areas may have to be adjusted. E.g. on spa if you miss the last chicane it’s easy to get reset while trying to return to the track even if you lost a lot of time. This shouldn’t happen if you’re trying to slowly and safely return to the track.

PS: as important, if not more important, is the precision to identify and penalise the perpetrators. Getting a shortcut penalty because you were trying to avoid hit someone or because you made a mistake and didn’t gain time shouldn’t happen.

Hitting Barriers
This one is easy. No penalties should be awarded. The car should be damaged, either momentarily or permanently, and that’s it. Small hits should give damage enough to make you loose some time. Big hits they’re probably fine as it is. However, riding the barrier shouldn’t be a thing and needs to be prevented in some other way. Increase the drag so that you loose time instead of being a faster way to do a corner. It’s not a big issue at the moment. I can only think of high speed ring. GTWS and other equivalent online events should have permanent damage.

(To be continued for hitting other cars)

Last edited:
I hope there is a way they could implement a system whereby should you give the position back, or wait for the accident victim to recover, your penalty is reduced or deleted.

I caught someone on turn 6 at Nurburgring today in Daily Race A as they lost the rear end and I was too close to react and pushed them off. Fair Play and all, I waited on track for them to catch up but not being given any reward for the chivalry means that behaviour isn't encouraged in the game.

This game spends too long punishing accidents and plain old carelessness and doesn't seem to promote responsible and considerate practices.

Last edited:
every time you accumulate sixty seconds worth of penalties you have to watch that sportsmanship video before you can do anything else on the game
I like this. Also make it so there is no way of backing out of the video and you have to complete a quiz after too.

Just had somebody sideswipe me for no reason, took himself out and I get the penalty. Ruined my race completely, now I have to wait another 20 minutes. Another penalty in the race before because somebody braking way before the normal zone, I slam the brakes on just give the driver the smallest of nudges and I get slapped with a 3 sec penalty.

They definitely need to revise the 'force another car off track' because you seem to get that even if you barely skim another car. Also they need to implement penalties based on the impact force and invoke penalties for brake checkers. They could do this by using the braking zone and apex lines which would determine whether or not the car in front was in the right 'zone'.

I'll post my ideas again (and again and again) maybe one day someone from PD will notice. (Originally posted on the GTS PS blog in 2018 where it got removed lol)

Get rid of the current SR and penalty system. They have proven beyond any reasonable doubt to be utterly incompetent.

Instead of the current sportmanship rating, turn it into a safety rating based on a point system over time.

• Hit a wall, go off track, spin out -> 1 demerit point.
  • Touch another car -> 3 demerit points.
  • Hit another car with 'intent' -> 10 demerit points.

The game can already determine 'intent'. When you race in SR.E, attempted dive bombs and most attempted side swipes get ghosted. Yet instead of giving the offender a penalty, they basically get a free pass. (Sometimes it even works, overtake straight through another car). Instead, still ghost, but assign a 5 sec penalty and 10 demerit points.

Basically every situation that's obvious (including coming from off track and hitting a car on re-entry) should be met with 10 points deduction and a penalty. Anything that has any reasonable doubt, 3 point deduction and a warning (no penalty).

For the wall hits and track limits, go back to the system that checks whether you gained an advantage or not. Only if you gain time on your average time for that sector should it award a penalty. Otherwise a warning should pop up to at least let you know where the track limits are.

Penalty lines need to be gone, dumb idea creating more incidents. Either take the penalties to the end to eb added to your finish time, or lose them during a pit stop of drive through. If you get more than 10 sec in penalties, mandatory pit drive through. If you ignore the pit drive through you get DQd and another 10 demerit points.

Quitting should no cost any SR, only DR.

Collect all the demerit points for everyone and calculate their current safety score. For example look at the last 10 hours driven in sport mode. Collect the points per hour and reduce their value based on the time passed. 100% weight if it just happened, 1% weight at 10 hours ago. If you behave bad in one race, you're stuck with it for 10 hours but the severity will slowly fade over time.

Sort everyone on their current total and divide in 6 equal groups E to S (just for visual reference) Use these groups for matchmaking, or sort it in 10 groups and use that. (Currently matchmaking works in steps of 10 SR with the scale being 1 to 99 SR for E to S)

Instead of using DR for secondary matchmaking, use each players race pace for that track. You race pace is determined either by qualifying, previous experience on that track, or a guesstimation based on previous experience.

If you've already raced (are racing) in a certain combo, race pace is simply the avg of your lap times minus outliers.
If you haven't raced yet but have qualified, start with a race pace 95% of your qualifying time. (Or whatever your personal avg difference is between qualifying and race pace, which will get more accurate over time)
If you haven't raced that combo yet, nor qualify, assign an estimate based on previous experience. It's just a matter of compiling a ton of data of players to figure out a decent lowball estimate. It's just for the first race anyway.

After the server has everyone sorted on race pace, create the rooms. Make sure to fill left over spots in a higher SR group with people of similar or lower race pace from a lower SR group. (Instead of currently adding the highest DR first)

Sort the grid on qualifying time, the non qualifiers on race pace.

DR can remain as a separate measure, not linked to matchmaking for sport races. DR resets will no longer have any affect on matchmaking, no more 'infiltrating' easy rooms with lower DR. Your race pace is still the same, SR can't easily bounce back, misbehave and you can race other fast dirty drivers.

I agree that the current system is often frustrating, both in the way the penalties are given and served, and the penalties in themselves. Having said that, I still prefer the current penalty’s serving system than the one we had in gts (at least at some point) where you could serve the penalty anywhere throughout the race. In GT7 offline mode, this is still the way it works.

Here’s some of my suggestions:

General
The game should have a penalty slider to adjust the way the penalties work. Daily races A and B for example can’t have too severe penalties because they’re really short. Might as well disqualify people. Even for race C, the race should be a bit longer to accommodate some of the suggestions I’m going to offer and/or the ones you offered.

All penalties should increase a safety multiplier for that race. This would penalise people who keep driving dangerously from those who just made a mistake.

Once you start serving a penalty on the designated area off the racing line you would ghost until completing the next corner.

Shortcuts
Low severity penalties: penalty should be twice as long as the time gained and added to the race time at the end of the race.

Medium severity penalties: penalty should be twice as long as the time gained and added to the race time at the end of the race up to 3 seconds. Above the 3 seconds you would have to serve the amount of time accumulated at a designated area off the racing line. Contrary to what happens now the designated area would be project only off the racing line. If you fail to serve the penalty in the next 3 laps you would be disqualified. If the race ends and you had 1 lap to serve the penalty you would get 15 seconds added to the penalty and 30 if you had 2 laps. In case the penalty was awarded in the last lap that time would be added to your race time.

High severe penalties: this is exclusive for GTWS and similar online events. If the time gain is below 0.5 seconds you get a warning. After 3 warnings you get a 3 seconds penalty. The way you serve this penalty is the same as the medium severity penalties. The next time you gain above 0.5 seconds due to shortcut you will have to serve a 3 seconds penalty again in the same conditions as the first one. Shortcuts where you gain more than 0.5 seconds will give an automatic 3 seconds, plus the time gained, penalty and will be served the same way. On the third 3 seconds penalty, you would have to drive through the pit. Failing to do so on the next 3 laps would get you disqualified. If the race ends in the meantime you get 15/30 seconds added to the race time, dependent on the laps you had to serve the penalty. In case the penalty was awarded on the last lap, yo get 5 seconds added to the race time. Under the severe penalties slider, situation where you currently get reset would immediately disqualify you. Some areas may have to be adjusted. E.g. on spa if you miss the last chicane it’s easy to get reset while trying to return to the track even if you lost a lot of time. This shouldn’t happen if you’re trying to slowly and safely return to the track.

PS: as important, if not more important, is the precision to identify and penalise the perpetrators. Getting a shortcut penalty because you were trying to avoid hit someone or because you made a mistake and didn’t gain time shouldn’t happen.

Hitting Barriers
This one is easy. No penalties should be awarded. The car should be damaged, either momentarily or permanently, and that’s it. Small hits should give damage enough to make you loose some time. Big hits they’re probably fine as it is. However, riding the barrier shouldn’t be a thing and needs to be prevented in some other way. Increase the drag so that you loose time instead of being a faster way to do a corner. It’s not a big issue at the moment. I can only think of high speed ring. GTWS and other equivalent online events should have permanent damage.

(To be continued for hitting other cars)
Yh these aren't bad ideas. The worst 1 is when you avoid another car so you swerve off to the barrier and you have to sloe down for 5 seconds. You get 3 punished 3 times if you car gets damaged. You have to avoid the car, put up with damage and get a penalty. Its a terrible system and I don't believe it took them that long to make. They can't even take the time to go over each track and decide what barriers give a penalty and what should so they just throw it on all barriers. It does make sense for barriers not to give a penalty at all thou because you have already lost time for hitting it. I think wall riding should give some form of penalty thou if it saved you time doing so. Although I think wall riding is the least of problems with the current system. Allot of the time when you wall ride you don't even get a penalty, its normally when you smash into the barrier aswell. Sometimes I have taken corners a bit quick and road the barrier and get nothing when expecting a penalty.
The system needs the biggest overhaul in Sport mode thou. I haven't got the patience for it. People deliberately drive like idiots and smash into you. Maybe if the payouts were actually good it would incentivise people to use it as a form of making money and want to do well. At the moment the only people who play sport mode is people that just want to mess around online other then a few people that wanna win. Why spend 30 minutes making 100k when you can go offline and make 500k for the same time? Sportmode should be better then offline for making money providing you do well. Online is more challenging and there for should pay more. Credits should be decided with how many players you overtake, how little accidents you have and your overall lap times.

I hope there is a way they could implement a system whereby should you give the position back, or wait for the accident victim to recover, your penalty is reduced or deleted.

I caught someone on turn 6 at Nurburgring today in Daily Race A as they lost the rear end and I was too close to react and pushed them off. Fair Play and all, I waited on track for them to catch up but not being given any reward for the chivalry means that behaviour isn't encouraged in the game.

This game spends too long punishing accidents and plain old carelessness and doesn't seem to promote responsible and considerate practices.
On the F1 games if you overtake in an unfair way you either give it back or you get a penalty. I'm quite sure this is something you have to do irl aswell. Thats why I don't understand how the penalty system in GT7 is so garbage yet they call themselves the greatest driving simulator. Personally I don't see GT7 as a driving simulator because the only realistic aspect is the driving, everything else in the game isn't realistic at all. The rubberbanding is blatantly obvious and can take you out of the game when you see the car behind have a rocket engine fold out of their trunk/boot and take off at 500mph. The AI overall aren't the worst ive seen but they are still terrible. They break early on every corner, they are completely unpredictable and randomly swerve all over the place like drink drivers like the driving line is their why are you barging me off the track when i'm trying to overtake you! When I am driving round an AI car you get this panic like "please leave me alone and stay where you are".
Thats it thou like you said the game needs to encourage sportsmanship more. Handing out penalties left right and centre just deters people from giving a crap making them cause destruction. Like after the 1st corner people get rammed or hit the wall, receive a penalty then give up and decide to go on a rampage. If less penalties were given and good sportsmanship was encouraged I think sport mode would be more enjoyable.

I like this. Also make it so there is no way of backing out of the video and you have to complete a quiz after too.

Just had somebody sideswipe me for no reason, took himself out and I get the penalty. Ruined my race completely, now I have to wait another 20 minutes. Another penalty in the race before because somebody braking way before the normal zone, I slam the brakes on just give the driver the smallest of nudges and I get slapped with a 3 sec penalty.

They definitely need to revise the 'force another car off track' because you seem to get that even if you barely skim another car. Also they need to implement penalties based on the impact force and invoke penalties for brake checkers. They could do this by using the braking zone and apex lines which would determine whether or not the car in front was in the right 'zone'.
Yh that's why I don't like sport mode is because so any people sabotage other racers and your the 1 who gets the penalty while the actual offender remains perfectly fine. The system realise on everyone playing fairly while realistic your not gonna get that. Bad behaviour needs to be punishable while people that play fairly should be rewarded for doing so.

I'll post my ideas again (and again and again) maybe one day someone from PD will notice. (Originally posted on the GTS PS blog in 2018 where it got removed lol)

Get rid of the current SR and penalty system. They have proven beyond any reasonable doubt to be utterly incompetent.

Instead of the current sportmanship rating, turn it into a safety rating based on a point system over time.

• Hit a wall, go off track, spin out -> 1 demerit point.
  • Touch another car -> 3 demerit points.
  • Hit another car with 'intent' -> 10 demerit points.

The game can already determine 'intent'. When you race in SR.E, attempted dive bombs and most attempted side swipes get ghosted. Yet instead of giving the offender a penalty, they basically get a free pass. (Sometimes it even works, overtake straight through another car). Instead, still ghost, but assign a 5 sec penalty and 10 demerit points.

Basically every situation that's obvious (including coming from off track and hitting a car on re-entry) should be met with 10 points deduction and a penalty. Anything that has any reasonable doubt, 3 point deduction and a warning (no penalty).

For the wall hits and track limits, go back to the system that checks whether you gained an advantage or not. Only if you gain time on your average time for that sector should it award a penalty. Otherwise a warning should pop up to at least let you know where the track limits are.

Penalty lines need to be gone, dumb idea creating more incidents. Either take the penalties to the end to eb added to your finish time, or lose them during a pit stop of drive through. If you get more than 10 sec in penalties, mandatory pit drive through. If you ignore the pit drive through you get DQd and another 10 demerit points.

Quitting should no cost any SR, only DR.

Collect all the demerit points for everyone and calculate their current safety score. For example look at the last 10 hours driven in sport mode. Collect the points per hour and reduce their value based on the time passed. 100% weight if it just happened, 1% weight at 10 hours ago. If you behave bad in one race, you're stuck with it for 10 hours but the severity will slowly fade over time.

Sort everyone on their current total and divide in 6 equal groups E to S (just for visual reference) Use these groups for matchmaking, or sort it in 10 groups and use that. (Currently matchmaking works in steps of 10 SR with the scale being 1 to 99 SR for E to S)

Instead of using DR for secondary matchmaking, use each players race pace for that track. You race pace is determined either by qualifying, previous experience on that track, or a guesstimation based on previous experience.

If you've already raced (are racing) in a certain combo, race pace is simply the avg of your lap times minus outliers.
If you haven't raced yet but have qualified, start with a race pace 95% of your qualifying time. (Or whatever your personal avg difference is between qualifying and race pace, which will get more accurate over time)
If you haven't raced that combo yet, nor qualify, assign an estimate based on previous experience. It's just a matter of compiling a ton of data of players to figure out a decent lowball estimate. It's just for the first race anyway.

After the server has everyone sorted on race pace, create the rooms. Make sure to fill left over spots in a higher SR group with people of similar or lower race pace from a lower SR group. (Instead of currently adding the highest DR first)

Sort the grid on qualifying time, the non qualifiers on race pace.

DR can remain as a separate measure, not linked to matchmaking for sport races. DR resets will no longer have any affect on matchmaking, no more 'infiltrating' easy rooms with lower DR. Your race pace is still the same, SR can't easily bounce back, misbehave and you can race other fast dirty drivers.
Thats what I don't understand is players can smash other cars and get less of a punishment then the person who got hit? Thats basically like giving the person who owns the store more of a punishment then the person who is shoplifting! Anyone who smashes a car with intent should receive a huge punishment and disqualified if done more then once. Like someone else said aswell this who receive so much penalty time should be forced to watch the sportsmanship video before entering another online race. People need to be deterred from causing trouble cos at the moment its a viable way of racing. Worried about the car behind overtaking? Slam on the breaks so they hit the barrier then they will have to slow down at the next penalty line allowing you to get a decent lead. Like what sort of game allows that to happen? Its such a broken system and I think it needs to be prioritised for overhauling. If as many people as possible continue to post and complain about it then maybe, just maybe someone at PD will actually fix it.
Soon as someone can earn credits slightly to fast they will be on that like a fly on feces but when an actual problem occurs it seems to be thrown on the back burner. This company needs a reality check. If people are earning credits to fast then who actually cares? As long as they are enjoying the product then why does it matter. Selling credits is a terrible idea anyway. Why not just sell cosmetics like every other company? Like rims, wings, body kits... I'm sure people would feel more comfortable buying those things then feeling forced to buy credits. But that's a topic for another post.

Thats what I don't understand is players can smash other cars and get less of a punishment then the person who got hit? Thats basically
It's an exploit that needs to be patched, there is a technique to it, next time you run into someone doing this over and over, watch the replay, they can hard shove you from the inside and you will get a penalty

Serve penalties in the pit or add it to the total race time afterwards depending on severity, no more of this penalty zone nonsense. And if we’re doing qualifying for a daily race and go out of track limits, invalidate the lap instead of screwing us for the next one because of the penalty zone.

Last edited:
It's an exploit that needs to be patched, there is a technique to it, next time you run into someone doing this over and over, watch the replay, they can hard shove you from the inside and you will get a penalty
I don't think PD care thou because it was the same in GT Sport. What the hell was that company doing inbetween GT Sport and GT7 because there is no way GT7 was in development for more then a year with how little was changed between the 2 games. 95% of the cars and tracks were just copy and pasted and that's the hardest part of developing the game. Its clear GT7 is a quick cash grab and that PD have gotten to comfortable. There is a huge gap in the racing game scene and if a good developer comes along and makes a realistic racing game with good customisation and fun content it would smash the racing scene. I like GT7 but there is to many things in this game that people don't like and the devs focus more on people earning more credits then the devs like rather then prioritising the stuff that needs work.
Serve penalties in the pit or add it to the total race time afterwards depending on severity, no more of this penalty zone nonsense. And if we’re doing qualifying for a daily race and go out of track limits, invalidate the lap instead of screwing us for the next one because of the penalty zone.
Thats exactly what needs to be done. They can't call themselves a simulator when the only somewhat realistic part is the driving. More or less everything else is stuff you see in arcade racers. Rubber banding, bad penalty system, dumb AI... I feel like games these days just slap simulator on the cover for extra credit. Its like battlefield calling themselves war simulator or GTA calling themselves crime simulator. Just because you can do something in a game that doesn't make it a simulator of that thing lol. A simulator to me is as close as you can possibly make it to the real experience. Why can't PD understand that... In the directionally it states that it is supposed to represent real conditions. simulator dictionary. How does the penalty system do that? You don't see cars slamming on the breaks and then driving at cruising speed in real races just because they cut a corner slightly to sharp. And when a car overtakes the car in 1st place the car they overtook doesn't just suddenly gain twice the skill level and 100 horses jump into the engine giving them a speed boost 😂 This game needs allot of work before I can class it as a racing simulator. At the moment it feels more like an arcade game. Just my opinion thou. I am sure some people will disagree with me.

Don't put the penalty zone on pit straight.
If you take a corner too sharply or end up cutting by accident.
You get a penalty
If you're doing a qualifying time for a daily race, your time is invalided, so what is the point of the penalty?
Nothing but to screw your next 2 laps.

Last edited:
(Continuation of my previous post)

Hitting other cars
Small bumps from behind, where you don’t mess with the other driver racing line would be a 0.5 seconds penalty and will follow the same rules as minimal shortcuts. This goes for all severity penalty option. This will also count towards the cumulative penalties referred in the shortcuts section, meaning, 2 0.5 seconds penalties for shortcutting and 1 0.5 seconds penalty for bumping means a 3 seconds penalty added to the race time or has to be served.

Then we have hitting another car forcing him off the racing line or missing is breakpoint. This would be a 5 seconds penalty added to the race time or served under the same conditions mentioned above.

Hitting another car forcing him off track would be a drive though penalty on all severity penalty options. This is harsh but we need to penalise such behaviour. When this happens the person you hit has his race completely ruined. You need to be penalised accordingly.

(Small parentesis)
People dropping from the race after getting a drive through penalty will be sent to the “purgatory”. More on this latter)

Hitting someone on purpose (the cases where nowadays people are ghosted)
This will mean automatic disqualification and the player will be sent to purgatory.

Purgatory
People on purgatory can only play people in purgatory. This lasts for one week (weather you play or not). If you behave you can get out of the purgatory after 5 races. If you don’t play or if you don’t engage in behaviour that would send you to purgatory but you’re still driving dangerously, you have to wait one week.

If you keep engaging in purgatory level penalties you’re staying is extended for one week after the last incident.

If you engage in purgatory level incidents on GTWS races, or equivalent online events, you are disqualified for the rest of that season.

Ps: I assuming the distinction on what type of incident is, can be implemented. Some seem to be already there so…

Damage
All races should have low damage except GTWS or other equivalent online events. In this case damage will be high, meaning, permanent.

Offline GTWS events have stewards so none of this applies.
All these rules should be streamlined to make it clear since there’s a lot of rules. Maybe having a tutorial for explaining them would work.

I left brake checks out and other cases where you can cause an incident. I’m assuming the game can distinguish who caused the incident and punish accordingly. It may be difficult for shortcuts but the rule of not gaining time should solve that issue. As for crashes the game needs to know who caused the crash. People getting hit or hitting someone waving or brake checking are already punished by loosing time and getting damage.

Don't put the penalty zone on pit straight.
If you take a corner too sharply or end up cutting by accident.
You get a penalty
If you're doing a qualifying time for a daily race, your time is invalided, so what is the point of the penalty?
Nothing but to screw you're next 2 laps.
Can’t you just reset?

I agree it sucks on the GTWS races. If you make a mistake you loose two laps on some tracks. The problem is that some tracks don’t have any other option apart from the starting line straight (main straight). I’d say, just invalidate the current lap and the next one if you’re gaining a speed advantage on the main straight like the F1 games do.

Can’t you just reset?

I agree it sucks on the GTWS races. If you make a mistake you loose two laps on some tracks. The problem is that some tracks don’t have any other option apart from the starting line straight (main straight). I’d say, just invalidate the current lap and the next one if you’re gaining a speed advantage on the main straight like the F1 games do.
Sure one can reset, but then you lose the delta time.
This can be valuable to see where your gaining time or losing time based of your previous time.

The game can tell where you gained an advantage, so if you gained an advantage on the final turn invalidate current lap and next, but if the advantage was half way through, just invalidate the current.

(Continuation of my previous post)

Hitting other cars
Small bumps from behind, where you don’t mess with the other driver racing line would be a 0.5 seconds penalty and will follow the same rules as minimal shortcuts. This goes for all severity penalty option. This will also count towards the cumulative penalties referred in the shortcuts section, meaning, 2 0.5 seconds penalties for shortcutting and 1 0.5 seconds penalty for bumping means a 3 seconds penalty added to the race time or has to be served.

Then we have hitting another car forcing him off the racing line or missing is breakpoint. This would be a 5 seconds penalty added to the race time or served under the same conditions mentioned above.

Hitting another car forcing him off track would be a drive though penalty on all severity penalty options. This is harsh but we need to penalise such behaviour. When this happens the person you hit has his race completely ruined. You need to be penalised accordingly.

(Small parentesis)
People dropping from the race after getting a drive through penalty will be sent to the “purgatory”. More on this latter)

Hitting someone on purpose (the cases where nowadays people are ghosted)
This will mean automatic disqualification and the player will be sent to purgatory.

Purgatory
People on purgatory can only play people in purgatory. This lasts for one week (weather you play or not). If you behave you can get out of the purgatory after 5 races. If you don’t play or if you don’t engage in behaviour that would send you to purgatory but you’re still driving dangerously, you have to wait one week.

If you keep engaging in purgatory level penalties you’re staying is extended for one week after the last incident.

If you engage in purgatory level incidents on GTWS races, or equivalent online events, you are disqualified for the rest of that season.

Ps: I assuming the distinction on what type of incident is, can be implemented. Some seem to be already there so…

Damage
All races should have low damage except GTWS or other equivalent online events. In this case damage will be high, meaning, permanent.

Offline GTWS events have stewards so none of this applies.
All these rules should be streamlined to make it clear since there’s a lot of rules. Maybe having a tutorial for explaining them would work.

I left brake checks out and other cases where you can cause an incident. I’m assuming the game can distinguish who caused the incident and punish accordingly. It may be difficult for shortcuts but the rule of not gaining time should solve that issue. As for crashes the game needs to know who caused the crash. People getting hit or hitting someone waving or brake checking are already punished by loosing time and getting damage.
I don't think they will stop people playing for a week as much as that would be funny 😂 I think a day or 2 would be more fitting. Some players are still learning and mite hit other cars by accident by entering corners to fast and they shouldn't be harshly punished for something they didn't mean to do. Its only players that ram cars with intent that deserve to have they ability to play with others restricted.
I don't really know online that much thou. I get sick of half the lobby's being full of clowns all the time. Cos you don't get paid much people loose the incentive to play properly. PD should make online a viable way of income so people actually feel the need to try their best.

I don't think they will stop people playing for a week as much as that would be funny 😂 I think a day or 2 would be more fitting. Some players are still learning and mite hit other cars by accident by entering corners to fast and they shouldn't be harshly punished for something they didn't mean to do. Its only players that ram cars with intent that deserve to have they ability to play with others restricted.
I don't really know online that much thou. I get sick of half the lobby's being full of clowns all the time. Cos you don't get paid much people loose the incentive to play properly. PD should make online a viable way of income so people actually feel the need to try their best.
They would still be able to play online but they will be matched with other drivers in the purgatory. And the only way they would get into the purgatory is by ramming into people on purpose so I think that’s fair. Lot’s of other games match players cheating or disconnecting with their “peers”.

People making mistakes would just be penalised in race.

Last edited:
It has it‘s issues but it is most definitely better than nothing. Just keep an eye on your mirrors and see the people backing out of silly moves that would result in contact. With no penalties you’d have the daft situation we had in Sport where you’d have to drive so tight to the inside of every corner to defend against getting dived at every turn, it just wasnt racing.

Back