Ideas needed (mounting PS eye on to DFGT)

• Thread starter Jalapeno0
  • 6 comments
Jalapeno0
Anyone planning to, or have already mounted a PlayStation eye to their DFGT or G25/27? Im planning on it and wanted to see if there are any existing ideas out there.

Right now my thoughts are to get the Vanguard minitripod from amazon and attach it to the front sloping part of the wheel.. but it might not be tall enough, i need to do more measurements.
ideas anyone?

thanks!

Hello everyone. I am gearing up for GT5 and was curious what some other opinions were on this concept. Basically I have a WSP and a G27. I am planning on purchasing a PS Eye for the head tracking feature. I would like to possibly mount the PS Eye on the actual WSP for several reasons.

First; I do not really like having a USB cable sticking out of the front of my ps3 at all times. It looks terrible and I and really doubt I can reach the top of the tv with the provided usb cable for that type of mount. Second; I would like to have it attached to the WSP so that I can permanently fix it to the easily stored and retrieved wheel rig.

Currently I have my wires and powerbar tied to my WSP with zip ties and wire tubing. It looks nice and makes for easy, tangle free transport. I just connect a 15 ft male to female usb cable from my ps3 to my tied down G27 usb port when I am ready to play. To permanently add the PS Eye, I would have to add a usb expander to the the WSP. Only with a usb expander, could I permanently fix the PS Eye to the Wheel Rig. Well.... I guess I could run 15 more feet of usb cable to the camera as well but I do not really want to do that. Finally, I was thinking that the mounting spot would be between the gear shift and the wheel. I have a piece of particle board between the gear shift and the clamps to reduce rattling and think that is absolutely the only spot it could go. I could provide pictures if need be.

Potential Problems:

1. Do you guys know anything about usb expanders? I'm thinking the ps3 perhaps might have a problem with a PS Eye and a G27 on the same port. I'm not sure.

2. Jarring Motions - While the WSP is pretty secure, it moves a fair amount and I'm not sure if the jarring from shifting gears or the FF might cause the camera to flip out.

Basically, any help would be appreciated. I know there aren't too many people who've had any experience with head tracking in GT5 so I may just need to wait until the game is released but if anyone has any input on usb expanders with the G27, please let me know. Also; if you think it is a bad idea, please let me know that as well.

Wow Jughead, I just literally posted the same exact question. Hopefully the mods will delete my post as yours is fleshed out much better.
I was thinking about mounting the camera to the front sloping part of my DFGT using a mini tripod. mounting a 2 port usb hub to the bottom of the pedals and having one cable going into the PS3. Your concerns about using the USB hub are similar to mine. i am not sure if we would be introducing lag by having both the hub and a 9+ foot extended cable. other people must be asking this same question or have already solved it.. anyone else?

Last edited:
I have the PS "Move" that came with the "EYE" and did try out the "EYE PET" demo which has you to place the "EYE" _ _ " off the floor. I never got the "EYE" to work right with that demo. I think the best thing would be to wait until GT5 comes out before trying to mount it anywhere, as it might have to be x feet away from where you're sitting. Also I do think that the FFB might have some camera shake (causing picture to shake on TV) I did buy a "EYE" mount from Best Buy that works great:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PDP+-+P...on+3/1239025.p?id=1218240380760&skuId=1239025

I do have my PS3 sitting close to my TV as seen here (note picture before "eye" added)

picture.php

This brought to you by that "Crazy opelgt:crazy:1969 guy"

Wow. I searched "mount" in the wheel section but your thread never came up. I plan on grabbing a PS Eye in the next week and hope to have it by GT5's arrival. Your idea sounds pretty good about mounting it to the slope on G27. I might do that as well. I would imagine the PS Eye has an easier time the more symmetrical its viewing angle is. Let me know what splitter you decide to grab. I bet Monoprice has the best deal on one. I've seen one marketed for the ps3 on amazon for around 13 bucks.

I think the best thing would be to wait until GT5 comes out before trying to mount it anywhere, as it might have to be x feet away from where you're sitting.

Bah! Who wants to wait?!? JK. Seriously though, there is a video floating around of a guy playing with head tracking and the eye is just on the other side of the wheel.

Just thought I would post to share my experience. I have just mounted my ps eye to my g27+wsp. I used a doublesided sticky mounting pad to put the eye on the top of the shifter. I will post pics and impressions later.

Back