If GT2 was remade: refinements list.

• Thread starter Crispy9001
  • 20 comments
United States
Texas
ChrisWPoindexter
CW Poindexter
We all know how awesome Gran Turismo 2 is for the franchise and the gaming world, and how much nostalgic and playable value it holds up long after its release. However, it was still far from perfect, with little niggles of glitches and oversights and inconveniences that came from limited technology (not on N64, Dreamcast or PC, but PS1? :crazy:) and limited time/proper development (only two years? :yuck:). However, if Gran Turismo 2 was remade, here's what I would want.
Gran Turismo 2 Refinements:
-Graphics that are detailed, super smooth and with a draw distance covering the entire track that don't ruin the original look of the game. Basically, the beautiful, perfect PS2-like quality of its promotional artwork.
17291_gran_turismo_2-10.jpg

-Gameplay and motion that runs a perfect GT3-quality constant 60-fps.
-Pressure-sensitive controls & steering wheel support that doesn't require a NeGcon.
-Have the intro movie interchangeable between the NTSC-U, PAL & NTSC-J versions.
-License tests that have slightly slower gold times for more ease of acquiring gold trophies.
-Actually show gold trophies for 1st place winners and not silver in the "Go Race" menu + have completion needed for Event Generator.
-Have more creative control over the Event Generator and Arcade Mode as a 100% completion reward (i.e. higher skill/tuning level for AI cars) and actual race cars of AI if the player drives one.
-Be able to complete the game 100%.
-Allow for Arcade Mode/2 Player Battle Options adjustable within those game modes, like in old NFS games.
-If a car's "type" is eligible for a race but the HP rating is too high for the restriction, if there's a tuning setup purchased and usable that decreases a car's HP ratings to that regulation's rate, let the game offer a ten-second automatically-appearing/disappearing message saying the car was downtuned automatically to that restriction level so you don't have to go to a machine test to manually downtune your car for that different race. (i.e. "Your Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car '98 was downtuned from a Stage-4-Turbo-equipped 880 HP rating to a Stage-2-Turbo-Equipped 680 HP rating for race eligibility in the 690 HP Grand Valley 300KM)
-Have single races of races in the championships like in GT3 and later.
-Be able to transfer your old GT2 save from a PS3 PS1/2 Memory Card-to-USB Adaptor.
-No memory card slots or replay files/sectors; whatever amount of space in the PS3/PS4 hard drive that is avaliable will be used for the game, replays and ghosts. (Replay/ghost files' size increase with more of those items in the file.)
-Allow to erase time/speed records for individual in-game leaderboards.
-Online leaderboards for all machine tests, license tests, rallies and time trials.
-Online multiplayer (up to 6) in Arcade Mode.
-NOT less Japanese cars but less DUPLICATES of them. (I.E. Don't have 5 of the same R32 Skyline which are only very slightly different in their model year or power/weight. Just give us the one with the best stats.)
-Have the Acura cars get their descriptions, RM's and race events back from the Honda dealership. (US only.)
-Have the blue 1997 limited edition colored Dodge Vipers from GT1.
-Have the #6 Mark Martin RM paint job secretly thrown into the [R] Ford Taurus SHO '99 in BOTH Sim & Arcade mode.
-Have ALL the cars on display and purchasable at the dealerships (except for concept cars that were viewable but originally unpurchasable).
-Fix broken stats on everything from converted power and weight stats to gear settings.
-Let all cars be able to change their wheels/rims.
-Allow for up to 800 cars instead of 100 in the garage.
-Find RM body art designs for road cars that don't have RM's.
-Be able to adjust the tuning of a Simulation Mode Garage car BEFORE you enter an Arcade mode race to adjust for a different track or competitor.
-Allow for, with tuning the gear ratios, with the "Auto" setting, show how much top speed in mph or km/h you'll get from a certain ""Auto" setting, like the "Top Speed" Transmission setting in GT5.
-Also for transmission: show actual gear ratios (or lines) on a visual chart like in GT1 to help get an idea of how the car will transmit power per gear.
-AI cars that adjust to the tuning level of your car (i.e. fully tuned road car opponents, Super Soft tires in identical race cars, etc.) and the skill level of you (i.e. S License w/ all gold trophies) via difficulty setting in the "Go Race" menu.
-Get rid of the stupid "Car Wash" menu since unlike GT3 and later dirt doesn't actually affect a car's performance. The car will clean itself after races like in GT5 and other sims where damage is automatically repaired for free by the in-game sanctioning body. >_>
-Make the menus super-fast-loading and smoothly transitioning (not just a rough pop-up of a new page) between pages that are exactly as smooth and fast as in GT3.
-Have Arcade & Simulation mode on ONE DISC!
-Bring back the scratch and sniff disc (and release an extra bookmark with that in case it wears out on the disc.)
-Allow the option "Car Damage" in Sim Mode besides Arcade for added challenge AND fun and let it effect all the opponents along with the player.
-Allow for all opponents when the player says so to have the same tire type or Simulation Tires in a race for a fresh challenge.
-Have the Special Event cups actually restrict your type of car and not just the horsepower.
-Bring back and remodel the secret tracks and cars (including missing RM's).
-Have horsepower restrictions in the Rally Races.
-Ban particular cars (Yes, I mean you, Escudo abusers) or a tuning setup of a particular car above 800 HP or so in "Free" races (not time trials) in the GT, Special & Endurance Events, until you actually finish them.
-Have an adjustable music list like in GT3 and have all regions have a choice between the NTSC/PAL soundtrack or the NTSC-J soundtrack (counts both race and menu tracks).
-Bring back Drag Racing with more of the weird 1000+ HP dragsters and the appropriate tracks, car types and HP restricts.
-Have all these refinements (except for Arcade/Sim mode on one disc and scratch/sniff) an On/Off switchboard in the Options menu for nostalgia-glasses players.
(This is a work in progress; I add more as I learn more about GT2's problems.)
:sly: 👍

Last edited:
-Allow for up to 800 cars instead of 100 in the garage.

This right here.

You know, it's always made me wonder what the makers were thinking whenever I run across a racing game that offers dozens upon dozens (or even hundreds) of different cars, but only lets you own five or ten at any one time. GT2 was much better with a 100 car garage, but there are hundreds of cars in the game...sure, it was limited by memory space, but having to keep track of seven or eight memory cards is harder than it sounds.

Older games are limited by space; modern games no longer have that excuse.

This right here.

You know, it's always made me wonder what the makers were thinking whenever I run across a racing game that offers dozens upon dozens (or even hundreds) of different cars, but only lets you own five or ten at any one time. GT2 was much better with a 100 car garage, but there are hundreds of cars in the game...sure, it was limited by memory space, but having to keep track of seven or eight memory cards is harder than it sounds.

Older games are limited by space; modern games no longer have that excuse.
Like I said, whatever nearly endless space is left on the hard drive or external storage device of the emulating system (PS3, etc.) will be reserved for replays and the game save itself.

Last edited:
One thing I would ask for would be more creative control over the event generator. Was a great idea, and I certainly miss it, but was a little too random... being able to create more customised races better suited to the car at hand would be great.

Have a good one

Last edited:
One thing I would ask for would be more creative control over the event generator. Was a great idea, and I certainly miss it, but was a little too random... being able to create more customised races better suited to the car at hand would be great.

Have a good one
Yes, thank you, which is what I'm asking for difficulty-wise in all the pre-generated normal races; having advanced AI set to your license and the kinds of trophies you have on them and their cars being nearly fully-tuned for tight competition (or all opponents and the driver with the same tire type in unmodifiable race cars). And my difficulty idea would fit perfectly with your idea of creative control into the difficulty levels of the event generator.
Also, this idea of mine and your idea would be nice as a 100% completion reward in Arcade Mode; to have creative control in those races. Thanks again. 👍

Last edited:
The Event Generator, in my opinion, should use racing cars as AI cars if the player uses a racing car. Just my 2 cents. 💡

I don't want different graphics or cars or bla bla bla. Just bring back good ol' GT2, with multiplayer option.
Here's your answer:
-Have all these refinements (except for Arcade/Sim mode on one disc and scratch/sniff) an On/Off switchboard in the Options menu for nostalgia-glasses players.
:sly:

Last edited:
This one should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway:

Fix all the damned cars with broken stats: engine power incorrectly converted (kW value used for hp), wrong engine used, wrong weight, wrong tire size, transmissions with wrong final drive or just completely wrong gear ratios, and who knows what else. It's annoying how many of these there are; I've only gone through the kei cars and some of the smallest compacts so far, but I've already found lots of such errors. In some cases it completely breaks the car, while in others the car still works, but it's no longer a reflection of the real thing. At least the transmission, tire, and weight errors can sometimes be fixed with appropriate mods.

Oh, and while you're at it, fix some other apparent bugs in the physics model. Most cars seem to accelerate quite a bit slower than published stats, but also have a substantially higher maximum speed than they should. And cars with really small engines seem to be oddly penalized in power. Also, weight is peculiar for really light cars; below about 1600 lb, weight reductions seem to have absolutely no performance effect. (And I mean *no* effect--when you let the computer drive the car on the same course with and without weight reduction, it gets the exact same time for the course down to the millisecond.)

Speaking of which, here's a heretical suggestion--give me a B-spec option or something similar. Maybe I'm an oddball, but I *like* having a skilled computer driver. (Come to think of it, that would be a cool feature for flight simulators too. Yes, I know planes have autopilots, but those are generally stupid--I mean something that would behave more like a skilled human pilot.)

I think the drag racing would have been great you know so you would have to tune your car for acceleration more than top speed. just me? oh...

GT2 is still my favourite GT, so I wouldn't want the game to change too much from the original product.

*Fixing the Car Stats is a must, I remember the Venturi 300 having around 100HP less than what it should have.
*Adding the Dummied Out Cars back in the game: The VW Polo, Shelby GT500KR, CLK Race Car etc.
*Vastly improving the draw distance and make all AI cars stay the same High Poly model all the time, I know its PS1 but when the cars switch Models it's really noticeable these days.
*Sharpening up the graphics, if you play GT2 on an Emulator (I was just curious) it looks much more detailed and less Pixelated.
*Fixing the spelling mistakes such as "High Speed Link" and "Autumn Link", this isn't Zelda. The Plymouth "Muscle Car" should be changed to Road Runner, too.
*Actually use Rome Night, I actually forgot about that track until I read the first post!
*Re Add the Tracks removed during Production that were found in Betas and promotional material; Monte Carlo, Palm Strip, What Looks like Indianapolis etc.

"Muscle Car" was a licencing thing, if I had to guess. Just to explain why it was like that in the first place.

Last edited:
I'm not going to base this on technology and trends that were not available in 1999, because that's unfair. Sure, that's kind of the point, we'd like to have a thousand-car garage like GT4, or GT3-4-5-6 graphics, and dozens more races. And it goes without saying that we'd like the hidden stuff to be available.

1) Arcade Mode would pit tuned cars against your tuned cars, race cars against race cars.

2) Racing cars used by AI would have slick tires (theorized to use Normal/Sports tires in their coding), and not brake so soon.

3) AI power gap in 493hp/591hp events meant a lot of stock cars with 276-300 horsepower. This meant that lots of faster machinery seemed to never (or rarely) race against you. There were exceptions, like the muscle car events (which could be beaten with small FF cars with 150-200hp), or the quite-challenging GT 300 series.

4) Race-modded One-Make races that were actually tuned, not just stock power limits. Seemed kind of odd to leave a car with only 80 horses under the hood with 100,000 credits spent on a racing modification. Likewise, the Touring Cars should have had some more power, as it seemed well-thought out in terms of livery, but poorly executed.

5) Ability to have multiple game saves on the same memory card. Other games supported this from the beginning of the PSX lifecycle.

1-4 could be figured out with the massive amount of cars, and you could challenge yourself with finding things that made the racing more fun. So either the lack of race entry restraints was either a source of boredom, or a way to really experiment with the vast amount of cars.

Some of the stats are annoying, but very few frustrated you with outright lies (Mini Rally Car, for example). +/- 30hp is easily made up with some in-game mods.

"Have more creative control over the Event Generator and Arcade Mode as a 100% completion reward (i.e. higher skill/tuning level for AI cars)"
Does anyone know if the AI cars used modifications at all?

Back