If you could have one full historic F1 season in the game, what year?

• Thread starter Tristan H
  • 15 comments
Australia
Australia
There are a few big issues with the classic content in the F1 games.

You can either race using all the same car, or all different cars from different eras. There is no option to race only cars from a particular year. Also, apart from F1 2013 there are no historic tracks.

One potential solution to these problems would be to include a full historic season with all cars and tracks from that season. If Codemasters were to add this to the game, what year would you want to see included?

For me, maybe 1997. The last of the wider cars (until 2017,) full slick tires, refuelling. V10s and V8s.

We would get the old hockenheim, nurburgring gp tack, imola, magny cours, argentina, old Silverstone, jerez, spa with the actual bus stop. . .

It had the Jordan, Stewart, and Prost teams. Ferrari and McLaren coming back to form. William's in the last year of their dominance. . .

Last edited:
For me, maybe 1997. The last of the wider cars (until 2017,) full slick tires, refuelling. V10s and V8s.

We would get the old hockenheim, nurburgring gp tack, imola, magny cours, argentina, old Silverstone, jerez, spa with the actual bus stop. . .

It had the Jordan, Stewart, and Prost teams. Ferrari and McLeran coming back to form. William's in the last year of their dominance. . .

Nice choice. Benetton was also a contender that year. It would also be a neat throwback to the classic Formula 1 97 game.

I wouldn't call it proper old Silverstone though as it was significantly slowed down in 91.

1991, you've got V8s, V10s and V12s all on the same grid, and most importantly, the Jordan 191.

DK
1991, you've got V8s, V10s and V12s all on the same grid, and most importantly, the Jordan 191.

The 191 is a thing of beauty.

As an overall package though I would prefer 1990. The 1990 grid was more even with 4 different constructors that won races, plus Alesi's Tyrrell almost won. Plus fast Silverstone, and Paul Ricard and Jerez over Magny Cours and Catalunya.

If I had to take a stab, probably something nutty from the '50s. Like when Bugatti was a constructor, or when they had a circuit in Italian-occupied Libya. Something that'll really open people's eyes.

My next idea would be for the season when Lamborghini was an engine-supplier - I think for Minardi? Even if it did terribly. Because it's a Lamborghini F1 car.

I'd take 2007 or 2008. Probably even 2009. The former are years without any game at all. The latter didn't have a proper console release. The former would be interesting with SC logic if Codemasters can ever get that properly working as well.

84 or 85. Monstrous turbo cars that are absolute pigs to drive.

1992 - Active suspension cars.

And (probably) my all-time fav car

7C5A0117copy.jpg

Last edited:
2007. Awesome looking cars and it didn’t have a game at all.

1997. my first season watching F1 and my first F1 game. Plus as has been said the variety of cars and tracks would be great.

1999. Competitive season and last before total Ferrari dominance.

2009. Special season for many reasons. Would be great to see it properly represented.

2009. Special season for many reasons. Would be great to see it properly represented.

If you're not cheating, you're not trying... right?? And don't take that the wrong way - I'm a JB fan and loved Brawn "sticking it" to the big boys, but that chassis, especially the diffuser was illegal. I think the FiA saw the positives and the benefit of a "small" team being so successful. 👍

If you're not cheating, you're not trying... right?? And don't take that the wrong way - I'm a JB fan and loved Brawn "sticking it" to the big boys, but that chassis, especially the diffuser was illegal. I think the FiA saw the positives and the benefit of a "small" team being so successful. 👍

Well that would be a good point if any of it was true of course. As the system was repeatedly declared legal for the 3 teams who were using it and subsequently every team and then again in 2010. 👍

It was outlawed from 2011 as per of a minor technical regulation reshuffle.

And none of that is relevant to wanting a good depiction of the 2009 season in game form.

Back