IGN Hands on FM5

• Thread starter King1982
  • 6 comments

King1982

(Banned)
United States
King1982
E3 2013: Forza Motorsport 5 Hands-On

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-forza-motorsport-5-hands-on

IqJsGYO.jpg

I wasn't sure what to expect when I sat down to play Forza Motorsport 5, a game which, along with Ryse, Microsoft is clearly pushing as its biggest Xbox One launch title. I'd seen the trailer at the May 21 reveal, and it didn't look real to me. It had a CG "sheen" to it that just didn't quite make me a believer (see the video at the bottom of the page).

But laying my hands on the controller (more on that part specifically in just a moment) put a big fat Forza smile on my face. The game genuinely does look that good -- there won't be any mistaking it for the stellar Forza 4, which itself was a beautiful thing until I sat down with Forza 5 and ruined Forza 4 for myself forever. The new next-gen iteration runs in 1080p resolution at a butter-smooth 60 frames per second.

“

The dashboard reflections on the windshield during daytime races is a seemingly small but brilliant touch.

But that's not all. The paint truly does look phenomenally realistic thanks to subsurface scattering, a techie term that basically means it allows for the accurate rendering of light reflecting below a surface -- in this case, the metallic flecks below the clearcoat on a McLaren P1 supercar. Furthermore, the dashboard reflections on the windshield during daytime races is a seemingly small but brilliant touch, particularly for someone like me who always does his Forza racing from the first-person cockpit view.

High Dynamic Range lighting means the sun can get in your eyes as you're heading west across the Prague track's long bridge, while the draw distance on the track vistas is absolutely insane. You can see trees and buildings miles in the distance from the crest of the hill on the same track. Gorgeous!

As for the handling? Well if you've played Forza 4, you know how it drives, and that's as realistically as you want. You can turn every assist on, off, or find your own preferred custom configuration. But what Forza 5 -- or more specifically the Xbox One itself -- brings to the table for the series is the Xbox One controller and its developer-customizable triggers, each with its own rumble motor inside it.

“

The rumble effect in each individual trigger is both complementary and welcome.

As I drove, I could feel the car shift when the right trigger would give a very subtle bump, while heavy braking on the left trigger would deliver a progressively stronger bit of vibration feedback as you mashed the pedal harder -- just as it would on a real car as you feel the brakes grab and the ABS kick in during a sudden slowdown or stop. The effect is both complementary and welcome, as it gives you an extra sensory perception of how you're mastering your car (or not). I can't wait to play more just to see how the trigger-specific rumbles vary from car to car, and it also gets me jazzed to see how other developers can apply these newly capable triggers in their games.

Naturally, Forza 5 will once again feature hundreds of cars, though this time all of them will be viewable in Forzavista mode (nee Autovista). And Microsoft just announced that open-wheel race cars will finally join the Forza family. The livery and custom tuning profiles that the community so passionately creates will return, and with the former, makers of popular paint jobs will get rewarded with in-game credits based on the number of downloads their creations get. Finally, as you'd expect, regular DLC drops will occur, delivering new cars into your Forza garage if you pony up the dollars.

The Xbox One controller combined with the stunning tech not just in and on the cars but around them has me highly eager to see what other tracks and rides Forza Motorsport 5 will offer. Until then, a pre-order might be wise move.

These gaming outlets should stop insulting their readers and just scan or copy verbatim the press releases from game demos.

It'd be easier for both parties that way.

Where my girl bought me a new 360 recently when my old one died, I'm not allowed to get an Xbox One until next year, but the draw of Forza, it's too big. I'm torn!

VXR
Where my girl bought me a new 360 recently when my old one died, I'm not allowed to get an Xbox One until next year, but the draw of Forza, it's too big. I'm torn!

I imagine that once we have the game in our hands and start uploading photo mode shots and video, resistance will be futile :lol:

I imagine that once we have the game in our hands and start uploading photo mode shots and video, resistance will be futile :lol:

Haha. It will be brutal for me also. I already have some money set aside but that wont last since I have other things to pay for :nervous:

Back