iLink over the Internet

I read about a piece of software that would allow you to run the iLink cable from your PS2 to a PC, which would allow internet transmission to another PC which could connect to another playstation.  Has anybody else heard of this?   Is this just aonther in a long string of PS2 vaporware?  I mean, it seems like there would be too much lag no matter how fast of a connection there was, but who knows.

I do know somebody that is teaching their computer to play metro street racer for DC, but this is a whole different ballgame.

Sony has this new PS2 add-on harddrive (40G) with a network card sold out in JP. Maybe it will be released later in the US.
Anyway, I think a modem connection is not fast enough to hold the connection speed GT3 ask for. Ilink's speed is way faster than 56K.
Correct me if I'm wrong, IEEE1394 (iLink) is also faster than DSL connection (DSL > cable). So, too bad.    

(Edited by KZGTR at 12:16 pm on July 19, 2001)

Yeah, the iLink goes at 400Mb/s as opposed to a 56Kb/s modem, or even my 10Mb/s Ethernet.  But the point is that it doesnt need to be communicating at that speed.  At 400Mbs, the entire disk (assuming it's full) could be transmitted in 125 seconds.  Clearly this much data is not passing around.  Should the computer recieve .5 Mbps it could in theory transfer that over a Cable modem or DSL.  

Being such a real time system, I have a hard time seeing this working out, but you never know.  You wouldnt think the game would be lag tolerant, but who knows.

Give somebody a month or two and I bet it will be done.  A fair amount of reverse engineering would need to be done to figure out how much bandwidth the ilink uses.  It is quite possible that it could be transferring megabytes a second since the memory throughput is  Gigs /Second.  However, an experienced programmer could probably effectively communicate with 30-60kB (240-480 kb) a second....

Theoretically, it's possible.  But, given the more-than-adequate bandwidth supplied by i.400, I'd be willing to bet that the programmers weren't really worried about optimization in the transfer.

It might be possible, but I'm worried that it will be unusable.

Back