I'm Just A Little Confused and Frustrated. Is It Me or PC2 or Both?PC 

• Thread starter AllReD
  • 12 comments
Saint Lucia
Saint Lucia
Took a day off from work to enjoy some PC2 with plans was to it super slow and enjoy the game.

I decided I would use 1 car (Aventador) , 1 track (Long Beach) just to get a feel for everything (physics, handling, tire wear, ....). No rush I'm just gonna soak in all the goodness.

My first action was just to drive with everything on default including controller settings. After about 30 mins of ping - ponging off the walls and locking up the tires, I watched a couple YT vids and settled on some controller settings for now (not great but better).

Now onto the head scratcher of an experience so far.

Track Conditions:

Track Long Beach
Ambient Temp: 69F
Track Temp: 116F

1. Game loaded up the stable setup, but soon realized I was blazing up the tires so I changed to the hard compound and adjusted my starting pressures. Now I ran at 30-32 constant after about 3 laps. That helped with the grip consistency through my stints, but the overall handling of the car sucks. Its basically and understeery boat with extra long braking times.

2. I kept on locking up the tires under braking. I adjusted the brake sensitivity in controller settings and tried everything from 0 - 50. In the end I settled on 50 because so far I really couldn't feel or see the difference. (Is 50 even where I should be when using a controller?)

3. I normally don't run ABS/TC (Including PC1) but since I was still having issues braking I turned that on (ABS), but I would constantly be activating it, thus taking longer to brake. So far my braking points are all over the place.

4. Ok, still trying to improve my braking I decided to reduce the brake pressure to 65 down from 95% (default). Again never really an issue for me before as I normally run higher brake pressures. Ah ha, that help. Longer braking zone but less lockups.

5. Now comes the kicker; Saving and Loading Setups. I just don't know what changes are taking place and if the game is in fact loading my setup changes. When I changed PSI I have a visual representation that the game has in fact loaded the right setup. The process is so convoluted and confusing it takes away all my joy and I just don't trust the game.

6. Can someone please explain how to effect a settings change. My procedure: Tuning Setup, Edit Setup, Make Necessary Change, Done, Save Over Existing.
I then go back to edit setup just to make sure. It looks good. I head out to track, car feels the same, go to edit setup (name is correct) and the setting I changed is still the same as before. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So that's is for now, I'm not making much progress just basically understeering and locking up the brakes all over the place, with settings changing not being applied , I think. :odd: :dopey: :( :confused:

3. I normally don't run ABS/TC (Including PC1) but since I was still having issues braking I turned that on (ABS), but I would constantly be activating it, thus taking longer to brake. So far my braking points are all over the place.

Drive a real Lambo without ABS and I'd bet it would lock up a lot too. Disabling ABS is for games like Gran Turismo where it doesn't really work like the real world. In PC2 I'd recommend leaving it on in cars that should have it.

6. Can someone please explain how to effect a settings change. My procedure: Tuning Setup, Edit Setup, Make Necessary Change, Done, Save Over Existing.
I then go back to edit setup just to make sure. It looks good. I head out to track, car feels the same, go to edit setup (name is correct) and the setting I changed is still the same as before. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The "Save Over Existing" option is bugged and generally doesn't save your setup. You have to save as new each time until they fix it.

I used some controller settings off YouTube too. I was using Authentic assists and found the settings for the controller made the game playable.

I then found I had understeer that I just couldn’t dial out. This was in both the Ginetta Junior and the Formula Rookie.

I suddenly realised that by switching to default controller settings the understeer problem was solved.
I put the dead zones on zero and vibration to 100 but kept to default for everything else.
I stopped trying to be a hero too and turned the assists on (except steering and braking help) and the game suddenly became huge fun for me.

By turning assists on I can choose what help I get via the ICM menu. So if I drive a car where I don’t need stability help I can change it on the fly.

The YouTube controller settings I got are good but after comparing them to the default in turns of lap time I realised that the default settings are quickest.

Its basically and understeery boat with extra long braking times.

My first car was the 720s at Long Beach. Similar feeling. I don't think it's incorrect, braking is limited by tyres and those cars have stupid amounts of power. Combine that with a road tune and you're going to have a car that feels like you spend the whole time slowing it down enough to get through a corner.

It's unusual coming from other racing games, but I suspect that it's not entirely unlike real life.

My first car was the 720s at Long Beach. Similar feeling. I don't think it's incorrect, braking is limited by tyres and those cars have stupid amounts of power. Combine that with a road tune and you're going to have a car that feels like you spend the whole time slowing it down enough to get through a corner.

It's unusual coming from other racing games, but I suspect that it's not entirely unlike real life.
Turn off stability (or was it traction?) control off and understeer should be reduced but you will have to be careful with it so it doesn’t kill you :)

Turn off stability (or was it traction?) control off and understeer should be reduced but you will have to be careful with it so it doesn’t kill you :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with it. I have the settings on authentic and I think that's quite OK.

I did some testing on the straights of LB with the Aventador 60 - 0 in 2nd gear. The car would take roughly 4 secs to reach a complete stop when using ABS with no downshifting.

Since the telemetry screen no long tells you when you are locking up the tires I did an external view and notice at only at the final second the car would lock up the tires without ABS. I believe by brake pressure settings were 75% during testing.

I'm not really sure whats up with that car or my settings (which I suspect it is) but stopping power on the it felt all wrong. I switched brake pressure back up to 95% with ABS on and did a few more laps, having zero success. I ended up testing the Huracan GT3 which was much more inline with what one would think when it comes to braking, other cars tested felt ok too. Gonna do some more road cars tonight.

One complaint I have (again it may be my settings) is the complete lack of feel using a controller. I get almost zero vibration or feedback when braking, tires slipping, kerbs ... almost nothing. Virbration setting is set to 100%, using XB1 controller on PC.

Could you kindly drive the Avendator on LB using hard compound and let me know your thoughts?

Ambient Temp: 69F
Track Temp: 116F

I think is was set to spring (default) at 16:00

Thanks.

Some combos just don´t work, you have to pick the right track for the car, i guess.

LB is only fun with agile and stable cars.

You would have more fun in places like Hockenhein or Monza with this car.

Saving setups is a mess, it´s always a source of anger for me. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

I did some testing on the straights of LB with the Aventador 60 - 0 in 2nd gear. The car would take roughly 4 secs to reach a complete stop when using ABS with no downshifting.

Since the telemetry screen no long tells you when you are locking up the tires I did an external view and notice at only at the final second the car would lock up the tires without ABS. I believe by brake pressure settings were 75% during testing.

I'm not really sure whats up with that car or my settings (which I suspect it is) but stopping power on the it felt all wrong. I switched brake pressure back up to 95% with ABS on and did a few more laps, having zero success. I ended up testing the Huracan GT3 which was much more inline with what one would think when it comes to braking, other cars tested felt ok too. Gonna do some more road cars tonight.

One complaint I have (again it may be my settings) is the complete lack of feel using a controller. I get almost zero vibration or feedback when braking, tires slipping, kerbs ... almost nothing. Virbration setting is set to 100%, using XB1 controller on PC.

Maybe it's just the car then. I'll have a go with that specific combo next time I play and let you know if I get the same result.

Edit:

I may have just spent like 45 minutes driving. Thanks for introducing me to a very engaging combo. :cheers:

Note that I'm on PC and have a wheel and load cell pedals, so my control method may allow me a little more leeway in getting away with stuff than a controller would.

I did a session with assists authentic and automatic tyres, which I sort of assume are the softs. It was a bit understeery, but I was actually quite pleased with how it still let me rotate the car off and on throttle. I then turned all the assists off, and while it was possible to go faster and brake a bit later the car was quite a handful if you let it get out of shape. It very much felt like a heavy overpowered car on semi-slicks, but I was really very pleased with how brilliant the AWD system is; it's like the best of RWD and AWD at the same time. After a few laps I was pretty comfortable with what I could and couldn't get away with.

Then I did a session on the hard tyres, and that was super hard. Braking distances didn't change that much, but it was just much more slippery. And once you started sliding, the difference between holding it cleanly and looping it or plowing into a wall is tiny. Rewarding when you get it right, but it very much felt like not nearly enough tyre for the car. Which is not surprising, the game labels the hards as P-Zeros which is pretty much a bog standard summer performance tyre. It's not really designed to deal with nearly two tons of 700hp barreling around a track. I was something like 7 seconds slower, which is heaps on a lap that's only about 90 seconds.

I got about the same four seconds braking from 100kph to 0. I can't find footage for an Aventador, but here's a brake company showing off their fancy pants brakes.

They're going from 170mph to 0, but if you just timestamp the 60 to 0 part it's still in the range of 3-4 seconds. Definitely so for the stock brakes, maybe longer. I'd expect a GTR to have similar braking performance to an Aventador, certainly in the same ball park.

I think it's easy to be misled by how long it can take to slow a car down, when really the important parameter is distance covered while doing so. I found that flat out down the main straight at Long Beach I'd reach maybe 250kph, and braking a bit before the 500m board gave me time to ease off the brakes and get the car settled before turn in.

I think the car is close enough to accurate, and the performance that you and I are seeing appears to be similar. There is understeer, and I tend to counter it by getting a bit drifty through the corners but I totally couldn't do that with a controller. I could barely do it with a wheel on the hard tyres.

I'd say just use the softs (which are a more appropriate tyre for the car), use the assists if you need to and go for the slow in/fast out approach to corners. Which is generally more appropriate for an AWD car anyway; brake hard and early, get off the brakes and let the car settle before turning in and pinning the throttle as you clip the apex. Fast, safe and real satisfying when you nail it.

See Car and Driver for notes on how it drives, which seems similar to what we're experiencing. It reinforces that you will get a certain amount of understeer from the AWD system.

Last edited:
@Imari

Thanks so much for your insights. The part about the Hard (P-Zero) essentially being summer tires I was not aware of (thanks big time). That certainly explains the slippery part. Strange that you mention your braking zone being just before the 500 mark, I think I starting off at 500 and move it forward to the line just before the 500 mark.

Playing with a controller is definitely tricky and I'm still adjusting my settings. Just this morning I moved from 95 speed sensitivity to 97 because I kept applying too much steering input on fast corners. Unfortunately I'm gonna be using this setup for a couple months till I can get myself a wheel.

Gonna try this puppy one more time on softs and compensate for the tire temps using pressure settings.

Thanks again bud. :cheers:

Back