I'm looking for tips to make character decals

• Thread starter Zexevev
  • 1 comments
Brazil
Brazil
The more I played Gran Turismo Sport, the more I became interested in the designs, first in the scapes, then making designs, now I want to make decals of certain characters because some of them do not exist to download and use.

But the problem is: I do not know where to start

I see that converting photos to SVG does not work very well, so I have to do the decals with some program (preferably without spending money), I saw the main post on that subject, but the difficulty would be how to do it, because certain characters (mainly animes) have several details. By this I see that most of the character decals made for the game have 2 patterns:

1: Detailed decals are divided into parts

2: Full decals are less detailed

Even so, I still want to make character decals in the game, I just need some tips on how to do it in good quality

Thanks for the people who come to help

There's a number of ways of doing it. The method I've used the most for any complex image is to draw it up as a complete image and then use an intersect tool to cut it into blocks.

This is one of the most time consuming ones I've done...

upload_2019-5-11_12-0-21.png

I traced this manually from an image in CorelDraw, the same thing could have been achieved in Inkscape (free).

once it's drawn up, you draw some simple rectangles over it... this can be trial and error to begin with, because you need to judge how big the piece can and still be under 15kb...

upload_2019-5-11_12-7-36.png

Then using the intersect tool, will cut the rectangular shape from the drawing...

Like so...

upload_2019-5-11_12-9-2.png

Just keep going and you end up with something like this...

upload_2019-5-11_12-10-30.png

or this...

upload_2019-5-11_12-11-7.png

Just save each piece individually, upload them, and put them back together in GTS.

I find this pretty easy to do in CorelDraw, you can do it in Inkscape, but I think you need a plug-in called PathOps to get the intersect to work with multiple layers. It does have limitations doing it this way. It'll change the appearance of gradient fills, and you cannot use any stroke colours/widths because it will put them around the edge of each piece.

That's just my two cents. It's pretty simple, there are other ways though.

Back