I'm new to Sim Racing--Fanatec wheel, Ricmotec diy rig setup

• Thread starter nsite
  • 22 comments
What's good peeps?!? I've been playing GT since GT3. I started out using a controller, then 'upgraded' to the Driving Force Pro connected to a TV tray. I'm sure all of you know how that feels. Well, I still have the DFP but just recently ordered the Fanatec GT3 bundle with the CSRE pedals. I also ordered plans for the Ricmotech DIY rig. My buddy is a carpenter by trade so I'm excited about that. He may need to make some mods to the rig design b/c I believe it is more for the G25/G27 setup. Any advice anyone can give me as to the build of the rig to accomodate the Fanatec wheel?

ok Husky..I will check there. Im new here and still trying to navigate the site. Pls be patient, I know how much ppl hate noobs!!

DualShock3. I don't see the need for a steering wheel. Unless you want to compete in the GT Academy, then real skill lies in platinum with 2 buttons and a toggle.

Thank-you

ok Husky..I will check there. Im new here and still trying to navigate the site. Pls be patient, I know how much ppl hate noobs!!

No worries :) I wasn't being impatient. Just saying there's a subforum which your thread has now been moved to, containing the info you seek. 👍

DualShock3. I don't see the need for a steering wheel. Unless you want to compete in the GT Academy, then real skill lies in platinum with 2 buttons and a toggle.

Thank-you

Not everyone who gets a wheel gets them to "go faster". It's mostly a preference thing.

Personally I can't drive without my wheel because it doesn't feel anywhere near as fun and makes the whole experience pointless and unrewarding in comparison.

Regardless of your views on wheels or my view on using DS3. It's irrelevant and off-topic as the OP never requested for peoples opinion on which is better.

Last edited:
The Ricmotech is all wood, right? I'm not completely positive as I don't have the specifics, but you shouldn't have a problem other than having to drill to mount the wheel and pedals.

Controller. LOFL

Exactly. Use the DS3 if you play Mario Kart. ;)

If you want to take the sim to another level, get a wheel. GT5 is optimized for a wheel.

EDIT: But you knew that, hence the upgrades.

What's good peeps?!? I've been playing GT since GT3. I started out using a controller, then 'upgraded' to the Driving Force Pro connected to a TV tray. I'm sure all of you know how that feels. Well, I still have the DFP but just recently ordered the Fanatec GT3 bundle with the CSRE pedals. I also ordered plans for the Ricmotech DIY rig. My buddy is a carpenter by trade so I'm excited about that. He may need to make some mods to the rig design b/c I believe it is more for the G25/G27 setup. Any advice anyone can give me as to the build of the rig to accomodate the Fanatec wheel?

I seen a video build of the Ricmotech over at insidesimracing.tv, paused the video at key moments broke out a ruler and using a still of a 2x4x8 they were using, then I figured a rudimentary scale and kinda wung it. The Fanatec wheel will fit fine. If I had one caution for you it would be this. If you over say 5'9", you might need to modify it a little. I think Ricmotech has addressed this issue by now, but if not take the time and add a few inches to the height and a little to the length. Good luck on your build and be sure and post the results!
IMG_3155_zps8cda0bcc.jpg

IMG_3100_zpsbcd722a3.jpg

IMG_3104_zpsf8198f0f.jpg

IMG_3103_zps8e1b55a1.jpg

I seen a video build of the Ricmotech over at insidesimracing.tv, paused the video at key moments broke out a ruler and using a still of a 2x4x8 they were using, then I figured a rudimentary scale and kinda wung it. The Fanatec wheel will fit fine. If I had one caution for you it would be this. If you over say 5'9", you might need to modify it a little. I think Ricmotech has addressed this issue by now, but if not take the time and add a few inches to the height and a little to the length. Good luck on your build and be sure and post the results!
IMG_3155_zps8cda0bcc.jpg

IMG_3100_zpsbcd722a3.jpg

IMG_3104_zpsf8198f0f.jpg

IMG_3103_zps8e1b55a1.jpg

Is that power seat powered?

Also what do you use the xim for in the cockpit?

Is that power seat powered?

Also what do you use the xim for in the cockpit?

Yes, the seat is an 8 way electric w/lumbar. I used an old computer power supply mounted under the sim to power it.

As far as the XIM goes, it's primarily for FPS shooters. I'm so old school I never was able to get used to a gamepad. (I even have a very rare modded Xbox black wireless controller that has a trackball built in it if anyone want to make me a worthy offer)
IMG_3188_zps6eaf76aa.jpg
Long before the console, Madcatz made what was called a Panther XL (trackball/joystick combo). I've probably been through over a dozen of those extinct controllers over the last 25 years or so and still use it. I'm using a 4th gen Panther mod that has a custom manufactured MAME control board and a gutted Logitech G400 mouse. Here's a link as to what's involved. http://assassin3d.squarespace.com/history-panther-xl/
We have a small following that has kept this project alive over the last 20 years or so. The XIM3 always me to use this controller on my Xbox360
IMG_3173_zpsf46c68f6.jpg

Last edited:

Welcome to GTPlanet and here are a few tips to make sure that your rig can comfortably accommodate your Fanatec wheel. Make sure anything supporting the wheel is rigid, as you don't want the wheel to be flexing when you're driving. And also, take some measurements beforehand on where you would like the wheels and the pedals to be. Unless you are intending to make the rig adjustable, the position that the wheel and the pedals are in will be fixed. Also, pick a seat that is comfortable for you and you would be happy doing races in.

Great info folks. Patro has the rig I'm building. I did see the vid of the build on insidesimracing's youtube page. Ricmotech has addressed the issue of taller drivers so Im cool on that. @Element, racing with a controller not really what Im going for. I got hooked on a wheel back when I had my DFPro .I like the realism of the wheel. I think i will purchase a pedal inversion kit also to make it GT style.

:cheers:
Great info folks. Patro has the rig I'm building. I did see the vid of the build on insidesimracing's youtube page. Ricmotech has addressed the issue of taller drivers so Im cool on that. @Element, racing with a controller not really what Im going for. I got hooked on a wheel back when I had my DFPro .I like the realism of the wheel. I think i will purchase a pedal inversion kit also to make it GT style.

Depending on what pedals you get, you might not need an inversion kit. All I had to do with my CSR Elite pedals is swap the gas and clutch locations and flip the entire pedal assembly. I Mounted them inverted to a secure platform which also give me the ability to hinge it for easy and secure pedal placement. I can move my pedals back and forward , fully adjustable from my sweet spot being center-lined between the two. Here is a link and pictorial of the process:
Here is a link and pictorial of the process:
http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/6916-csr-elite-adjustable-pedal-mod/

:cheers:

Depending on what pedals you get, you might not need an inversion kit. All I had to do with my CSR Elite pedals is swap the gas and clutch locations and flip the entire pedal assembly. I Mounted them inverted to a secure platform which also give me the ability to hinge it for easy and secure pedal placement. I can move my pedals back and forward , fully adjustable from my sweet spot being center-lined between the two. Here is a link and pictorial of the process:
Here is a link and pictorial of the process:
http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/6916-csr-elite-adjustable-pedal-mod/

perfect! I did order the CSRE pedals also

Back