I'm sorry but after watching this video....

• Thread starter isamu
  • 23 comments

isamu

(Banned)

....am I crazy in assuming that iRacing actually has better graphics than F1 2010???? The lighting is incredible in that vid, but I must add a disclaimer: I've yet to play or even see iRacing running on my pc other than videos.

Again, am I simply nuts?

The cars certainly look better mid corner in that video. F1 2010 cars seem to float rather than load up.

I think the driving physics also look better. It doesn't look like that when you slide in this game (if you get it to slide without going crazy)

iRacing is a fantastic simulation but it won't win any awards for graphics. They get the job done but they're pretty basic for the most part.

You've also got to consider the Williams will be a A license car. That means you have to go from a rookie, to your D, C, B and then A license. Depending on how much you play and how good you are, it will take quite some time and a minimum of 6 months. Casual players or people with low safety rating could take 9 months to a year to get an A license.

You also don't have very many F1 tracks in the game currently. Spa is on it's way, my guess it it'll launch around the same time as the F1 car in November. Other than that you've got Silverstone and Indy, (if you want to consider that they used to run on it.) They also have Suzuka in the pipeline but it's only been an announcement at this point.

:)
iRacing is a fantastic simulation but it won't win any awards for graphics. They get the job done but they're pretty basic for the most part.

You've also got to consider the Williams will be a A license car. That means you have to go from a rookie, to your D, C, B and then A license. Depending on how much you play and how good you are, it will take quite some time and a minimum of 6 months. Casual players or people with low safety rating could take 9 months to a year to get an A license.

You also don't have very many F1 tracks in the game currently. Spa is on it's way, my guess it it'll launch around the same time as the F1 car in November. Other than that you've got Silverstone and Indy, (if you want to consider that they used to run on it.) They also have Suzuka in the pipeline but it's only been an announcement at this point.

Im not actually so sure it will require an A license to use in competiton.
Part the reason the F1 is being included is to be a bigger draw to the European market for Iracing.
There have been a hints that it may actually be more open to racers than one might expect, wether that will be restricted to different classes of events with it being restricted to each individual license category or through some other method, i wouldnt be surprises to see it starting at D 3.0 license maybe with fixed setup racing over a short series of races.
Im sure the Williams F1 license has cost a fair bit and considering the lowish numbers for european membership and the generally lower lack of interest in F1 from the American market, i think Iracing will be pushing this out as much as it can to expand its clientelle in europe.

Bear in mind it will also be able to be used for 24hr de fun events, and I cant personally wait to take one to Brands Hatch. :)

iRacing is going to look as good as your computer can make it look. For most of us that means no, it isn't going to look as good as F12010 on PS3. For some of us, it'll look better than F12010 on PS3. Case closed?

:)

Im not actually so sure it will require an A license to use in competiton.
Part the reason the F1 is being included is to be a bigger draw to the European market for Iracing.
There have been a hints that it may actually be more open to racers than one might expect, wether that will be restricted to different classes of events with it being restricted to each individual license category or through some other method, i wouldnt be surprises to see it starting at D 3.0 license maybe with fixed setup racing over a short series of races.
Im sure the Williams F1 license has cost a fair bit and considering the lowish numbers for european membership and the generally lower lack of interest in F1 from the American market, i think Iracing will be pushing this out as much as it can to expand its clientelle in europe.

Bear in mind it will also be able to be used for 24hr de fun events, and I cant personally wait to take one to Brands Hatch. :)
They've never done this before and I don't see why it would change. The whole point of iRacing is to teach you how to race by introducing you to simpler cars and allowing you to work your way to faster cars.

Sure you've got the 24 hour fun events but that's one day a week on a rotating schedule for cars and tracks. It's hardly a replacement for a full-fledged F1 game.

If anything iRacing excels in the physics, track mapping and grid numbers. Graphics is not their top priority since they are more focused on the actual race simulation. They have their race series very organized and well thought out. They even have prize money for official races.

So their is a big potential to see actual profesional paid racesim drivers since they even brodcast their races with race commentators too. So it not only simulates a race cars physics but also simulates the whole racing series medium itself. All online, so all they need to do is capture a huge audience and they will be successful. But as of now graphics wise they will only be better when an entry level computer graphics card can handle highend poly count graphics of tracks, cars, 3d trees, backup lights (kidding), skid marks and moving spectors and pit crews. So it is not worth their time to spend their money and resources on those things until that happens. For me thou I think at least IMHO is, that is why they focus more on their physics and I can definitely say theirs are pretty good and their sound engine is excellent too.

To each their own, but I don't know if I will ever get the whole IRacing thing, aren’t they set up to constantly hit you up for cash?

To each their own, but I don't know if I will ever get the whole IRacing thing, aren’t they set up to constantly hit you up for cash?

Yup, that is how they get their funding to keep the business model going. They don't have deep pockets like Sony or Microsoft but they are doing an excelent job building it up. But I think that is what's holding back their success. IMO 'cuz a huge majority of sim racing fans aren't willing to fork out the money to play a video game and thats what it really is right now. Even if its a excelent sim. Hey, I won't knock it thou, cuz if they can pull this off and make a big sucess out of it by getting paid drivers out of sim racers it might just work.

Last edited:

Sure seems that way to me too. I signed up under there last get 3 months for the price of 1. I really liked it and was having a blast. Then I moved up to "D" class and was thinking of running a different series. When it all totaled up it would have cost me well over $100 for the car and the tracks I needed. Combine that with 14.95 a month to play, they can count me out. To rich for my blood.

Yeah, it's not cheap but once you make the initial investment the price to continue moving up in series becomes a lot cheaper as you won't need as much stuff.

Its Expensive if you are a Sim Gamer, but reasonable value if your a Sim Racer.

If you dont know which you are, i would stay away from IRacing, as to get its worth takes commitment.

I think the driving physics also look better. It doesn't look like that when you slide in this game (if you get it to slide without going crazy)
The driving physics in iRacing is top notch, imo. The people who enjoy F1 2010 for its physics however, will probably turn away from the Williams in this game.

I would play it if they didn't ask for the monthly charges (it's not overpriced, I just wouldn't play it enough to justify the costs). Got a friend who is really into though.

Its Expensive if you are a Sim Gamer, but reasonable value if your a Sim Racer.

If you dont know which you are, i would stay away from IRacing, as to get its worth takes commitment.
Very true and a good way to put it.

If you're really into sim racing, there really is no equal to iRacing at any price. I'd say that every sim racer owes it to themselves to at least try the game out. They're always running deals, keep an eye out for one that interests you.

Physics, driving experience, forcefeedback. in these area's Iracing is in a different world to f1 2010, its that much better.

But graphics? i've not played the console version but the graphics on the PC version of F1 2010 are far beyond that of Iracing, probably the best in any racing game to date.

But as i've said before, the car models in F1 2010 are not as good, not even close to the F10 ferarri in Ferarri virtual academy, which is nigh on perfect. GT5 quality modeling.

The driving physics in iRacing is top notch, imo. The people who enjoy F1 2010 for its physics however, will probably turn away from the Williams in this game.

I would play it if they didn't ask for the monthly charges (it's not overpriced, I just wouldn't play it enough to justify the costs). Got a friend who is really into though.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the physics in iRacing is topnotch. What they need to do is create an iRacing "Lite"- 8 or 10 cars with a few great tracks for one single purchase and the ability to race with other "lite" simmers. Put that on Steam and I'm willing to part with my hard earned $40 or $50.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the physics in iRacing is topnotch. What they need to do is create an iRacing "Lite"- 8 or 10 cars with a few great tracks for one single purchase and the ability to race with other "lite" simmers. Put that on Steam and I'm willing to part with my hard earned $40 or $50.

Or put it on a Blueray disc as a PS3 game for $59 with free online races then charge for official price races and additional downloads.

The car is suppose to be a 'Class X' license. But, it doesn't matter if you are a rookie or a Pro there. Why? Because there's always going to be hosted races and leagues :) You just have to buy the tracks those leagues or hosted racing creators are running on. I guess what I'm saying is you can buy that Williams F1 car the day it comes out. And race against a bunch of people that day. Even if you are a rookie license holder. And if you can keep it on the track :nervous:
And yes, the Codies have no worries in the eye candy department. iRacing is 'Physics & track recreation' first! That's why the 'real' motorsports drivers use it!

Meh, I'd rather have rfactor. Much more mods, all for free, plus a larger online community, but kinda hard to find others with your mod and track. No expensive monthly bill. I'm just a kid, I don't have the money to afford paying all that money for a sim, while there's another which is as good, if not better, for less.

Latest Posts

Back