Important: no need to lock styles!

• Thread starter Gingerale
  • 23 comments
Netherlands
Amsterdam
HennyGingerale
Might be an important message for most livery creators: leaving the style unlocked for a design you upload, does NOT unlock the livery design. So there is really no need to lock it.

With unlocked design you can change rims and bodywork etc. There person who downloaded an unlocked style can not upload the style with your livery. I.e. he can't 'steal' it.

I see a lot locked styles being uploaded, I think this is really unnecessary!

Cheers and happy designing!

So in a nutshell:
Locked liveries are like in GTS whereas unlocked ones let you change rims and body parts?

Yes. You can never copy/use someone's design/livery.

Edit: need to clarify: you CAN edit and use other people's designs further or change colors etc. But you can't re-upload it which makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
I'd like to clarify things a bit. It's confusing and I was confused myself, so thank you for posting this. I agree that there is little or no need to lock our livery since it can't be "stolen".

Maybe I missed it or maybe the wording is different in other languages or something, but I don't see anywhere to choose to lock or unlock the Style itself. When I've uploaded my Styles, it does have a choice for "Livery Editing Permission: Can be Edited/Cannot Be Edited".

A Style with an unlocked livery can indeed have its decals and paint edited by whoever downloads it, but like you said it "Cannot be shared as part of a Style, because it contains livery designs from other users." according the the in-game text. Custom parts like wheels and aero seem to be able to be changed regardless of whether the livery is locked.

I think leaving the liveries unlocked is a great idea, because the end user can change decals how they like for their own use. I can't remember how many times in GTSport that I downloaded someone else's livery and wanted to change, replace, or adjust one or two minor decals to my liking.

Last edited:
I'd like to clarify things a bit. It's confusing and I was confused myself, so thank you for posting this. I agree that there is little or no need to lock our livery since it can't be "stolen".

Maybe I missed it or maybe the wording is different in other languages or something, but I don't see anywhere to choose to lock or unlock the Style itself. When I've uploaded my Styles, it does have a choice for "Livery Editing Permission: Can be Edited/Cannot Be Edited".

A Style with an unlocked livery can indeed have its decals and paint edited by whoever downloads it, but like you said it "Cannot be shared as part of a Style, because it contains livery designs from other users." according the the in-game text. Custom parts like wheels and aero seem to be able to be changed regardless of whether the livery is locked.

I think leaving the liveries unlocked is a great idea, because the end user can change decals how they like for their own use. I can't remember how many times in GTSport that I downloaded someone else's livery and wanted to change, replace, or adjust one or two minor decals to my liking.
Good to know I suppose. No point locking them really then.

Last edited:
If you load it they'll always be gone, but it was also like that in GTS.
I'm not talking about opening the style in the livery editor. Just "Load style", which I thought was the same that "change car livery" in GTSport.. Maybe I missed something (again)

I've had a quick play. Made a livery and saved it as a style. Deleted one of the decals and it's stayed there.

Made another livery, applied it, didn't save the style and deleted the decal, it disappeared from the car.

I think all it means is you have to save the car as a style to make sure none of the decals disappear.

I think I can live with that.

Scratch that. This was based off observation still in the GT Auto screen. I've restarted the game and the decal in the saved style has disappeared.

Last edited:
I've had a quick play. Made a livery and saved it as a style. Deleted one of the decals and it's stayed there.

Made another livery, applied it, didn't save the style and deleted the decal, it disappeared from the car.

I think all it means is you have to save the car as a style to make sure none of the decals disappear.

Were your liveries on the same car? If so, if you get back to livery A (with deleted decals) after using livery B, is the livery ok?
Because that's exactly my problem here. (All my liveries are saved as a style)

Were your liveries on the same car? If so, if you get back to livery A (with deleted decals) after using livery B, is the livery ok?
Because that's exactly my problem here. (All my liveries are saved as a style)
I've changed my post. I restarted the game and the decals had disappeared on the saved style also.

So that means if I delete decals from the liveries I've already shared they'll also be gone from other people's cars that have the livery applied? That's ridiculous.

That's weird indeed and hopefully a bug.

When I started the thread I didn't actually know you could edit existing liveries. That is REALLY cool! Especially for guys who create bodykits with decals.

Hopefully they fix the decal limit really soon. Love this.

If you put a decal on a removable/changeable part of the body, it might not work properly or could disappear, one example being the front bumper lip on the R33. Locking prevents you from making a mess of the livery.

Last edited:

Scratch that. This was based off observation still in the GT Auto screen. I've restarted the game and the decal in the saved style has disappeared.
So that means we’re screwed, in GTS I’ve used several thousand decals, that isn’t possible now then :nervous:

If you put a decal on a removable/changeable part of the body, it might not work properly or could disappear, one example being the front bumper lip on the R33. Locking prevents you from making a mess of the livery.
No because you can move that decal as well. And as you download the style all parts as intended will be installed.

So that means we’re screwed, in GTS I’ve used several thousand decals, that isn’t possible now then :nervous:
I'm reserving judgement until they've sorted the 100 decals issue to test things properly, but at the moment it's very worrying. The online showcase doesn't seem to work and GT7 decals are different to GT Sport ones on the server too, so I think/hope it's just not all working properly.

Worrying indeed :nervous:

I’ve been ignoring the showcase so far, haven’t shared anything yet either.

Back