impreza superior to evo in rally? (QUESTION, not biased remark. i hope =D)

  • Thread starter Thread starter mr.wigglesaur
  • 6 comments
  • 1,051 views
Messages
122
Okk, soo heres the deal =) ever since I was about 7, playing gt3, I had been using the evo for all my races, rally, circuit, etc. its been my go-to car, and a favorite of mine since then. I can still remember using my old dualshock, racing a 500hp tommi makinen evo 6 in championships against jgtc cars and pulling off wins everytime =)Primarily however, I used it for rally, and over the years rally/wrc type events have been my primary interest. 10 years, and it still continues to handle and compete to my expectations nearly perfectly. Stress the nearly. In those ten years, 3 gt games have come out, me buying all of them, and ive begun to see other options become available to me. For example, the evos ‘mortal enemy’ the impreza sti. In a nutshell, it handles very nicely, being just the rite amount of stiff (the evo 8 showed itself to have a little understeer) and pushing out quite a bit of power on the straights and lift-offs. Another option was the ford focus and rs200 wrc models. Both strike me as attractive, well balanced rides perfect for rally. The rs200, being the group b beast it is, has actually shown itself to be one of my fastest offroad racers, beating the one car I absolutely dominate rally with, no questions asked: the lancer evo super rally car. This car just dominates the dirt and snow, being so quick and responsive- its almost cheating. So I repeat, soo far only a few cars seem to give me remarkably good times: the evo super rally, rs200 wrc, and the subie spec c 04.

In comes gt5. This is where my life story comes to an end. With the introduction of wrc, enhanced physics, and the Subaru/Mitsubishi war sparking absolutely terrific models, ive come at a bit of a road block (See wat I did there? =P) I JUST received gt5, so I haven’t gotten much experience with these AWD beasts, but I figured id ask the community what their opinion on the new models are. Lately, it appears to me that the lancer is losing its luster. Simply put, the impreza is dominating it on both the track and offroad in gt5, and im simply looking for some imput on which ride would be better. To be completely honest, I am a very clean rally driver. I brake early, I hug the turns, I refuse to hit walls or other drivers, and I take the road slow if necessary. Im actually a decent driver compared to some adults, and DEFINITELY compared to other Americans my age xD soo with that in mind, im simply asking if the impreza 07, 08 wrc, or 11 models have begun to completely dominate the evo 9, 10, and super wrc? Imput on the focus 07 wrc 08 would be appreciated too, along with any tune-ups or advice. I’m new to gt5, soo any guiding words would be nice xD

p.s.- I am one of those stupid teenagers obsessed with ken block, so expect a stupid bias to American wrc drivers. Course, I enjoy pastrana and mr.foust as well =)
 
There are established American WRC drivers?
 
huh, never said they were established, at least i dont think i did. but w.e, thanks anyways =P
 
i started off using the Citroen C4 WRC to race with my friends online whenever we'd have a go at a rally race. one particular friend used a RM'd Evo, and regularly dominated.

eventually, i got sick of the C4 stinkin' up the track so i got a WRX (not one you can RM) and put some work in it. every upgrade top tier except the turbo, which was stage 2 (you lose 9hp but gain roughly 30 ft lbs of torque).
my RM'd Evo driving friend has yet to beat the Impreza.
 
well I think your answer lies in a bit of modern rally history.

Mitsubishi was at the peak of its evolution (yeah i know..) during the Tommi Makinen era. The car was built for him and improved with him until the introduction of the Evo 7. It was a bigger car and the chassis and drivetrain didn't quite work too well together couple that with a severe lack of funds for a proper rally outfit and soon the Evo got left behind. The road car on the other hand was just fine especially for circuit racing. Mitsubishi has a different approach to cars than Subaru. They look to getting a relatively cheap car (the Lancer/Cedia/Carisma/etc.) and stuff it with a powerful engine and all sorts of electronic trickery and made automotive magic. Think of bland food with lots of seasoning.

Subaru on the other hand builds the car from the ground up. Think great food with no seasoning needed. They want a car that's very well put together from the chassis to drivetrain hence features such as the built in rollcage (Subarus are really safe road cars) and the rather odd but well thought out selection of flat engines for perfect weight and torque distribution. The STI doesn't need the computers and all the gadget the Evo has because it's physically a better car. Couple that with tons of R&D from the Subaru World Rally Team, Prodrive and you got a car that's superior for rallying then the Evo.

That said Subaru did quit in 08 from WRC. So the purpose built Focus and C4 WRC machines most likely will be better then the last Impreza WRC model just because of the development they had.
 
In comes gt5. This is where my life story comes to an end.

Did you died?

p.s.- I am one of those stupid teenagers obsessed with ken block, so expect a stupid bias to American wrc drivers. Course, I enjoy pastrana and mr.foust as well =)

Hate to break it to you, bud. Foust and Block are actually more famous for their time spent drifting and doing gymkhana (not to mention TV and publicity stunts) than they are respected for rally (X-Games doesn't count ;)). In 2010, Block finished quite a bit behind Loeb in WRC, and Pastrana has too many eggs in his basket to compete in a full season (he's even going to race 4[?] NASCAR races in 2011*). Foust is known more as a drifter and exhibition driver. Not that he doesn't have talent, he's just not known for WRC in particular.

I'm sure if Pastrana were able to put in the time, he could legitimately compete for the WRC Championship (he owns a world record on Pikes Peak) but he's following the money so I don't see that happening.

--------------

Anyways... I personally enjoy the RM Evo and Impreza for rally, probably with a slight lean towards the Impreza. Maybe because I painted it blue? :dopey: Both cars are fantastic, and strikingly similar (hence the rivalry). 👍

*Someone might want to check my facts on Pastrana's NASCAR appearances, it might be a different amount of races, and 2012 instead of 2011. Not sure if I'm 100% accurate there, and don't care to google it.
 
Last edited:
alright, thanks a TON u guys. im pretty sure im gonna shoot for the impreza first and see how it goes. thx guys =)

@ViLLaiN i couldnt agree any more. but u kno, give a skateboarder a car, let him do a couple few things in it, throw in a couple energy drink and shoe sponsors and im hooked xD i do believe, however, that in a couple years block CAN be a strong competitor xD pastrana will always be best however. and its 7 nascar races this year, 20 next. loll.

and nah im not dead, i was just trying to avoid talking about my youth xD
 
Back