Improve GT6 audio - PS3 Audio fix (Easy Fix Solution)

• Thread starter Automotive
  • 9 comments
United States
New York
Hello to all....
For those who didn't know. You may be getting crappy sound from GT6 or GT5 because your
audio settings in PS3 is wrong. These settings can apply to all and any with or without a sound system.
This tip is for anyone who is running HDMI ONLY. I'm not sure yet on OPTICAL. You should notice an improvement right away. (I have)

1. go into your PS3 audio output settings
2. Select HDMI
3. Select MANUAL, NOT automatic
4. (Important part) Uncheck EVERYTHING that you have selected. There should be 2 settings that's grayed out and you CAN'T uncheck them. This is all that you need
5. SAVE Setting

Now, I don't know why, but selecting anything else while on HDMI suffers audio loss in GT6. So if you have a sound system and you wonder why the car sounds are still weak. This is why. The audio for me improved inside and outside the car in GT6. I didn't discover this.... I was Fishing youtube and found this.

Like Fred Dryer "Works For Me"!

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to "audio drop-out fix". Otherwise be prepared to be swamped by people stating that no amount of hardware tweaking can fix the game's sounds.

And that's fair enough, an EQ tweak or whatever certainly will not make a Diablo no longer sound like a Viper. But that's obviously not the point of this thread.

I was having problems streaming music from a media centre and found that turning off all those settings as mentioned in the OP fixed that for me. That was some time ago, and might have something to do with my not experiencing these sound drop outs in GT6 very much. Only twice so far, in fact.

From what I remember, the streaming issue I had was due to latency / performance issues with, frankly, unnecessary resampling of audio for output (along with the streaming and decompressing etc. it was already doing), and that was using the optical output (encoded "stereo" bitstream). It manifested itself as long pauses and stuttering in output from within the XMB player, with nothing else going on.

Having the hardware default to resampling the game's output audio could put extra strain on the SPUs (there is no dedicated hardware for it), causing the drop outs, failure to initialise etc. much more frequently.

Be aware that this resampling doesn't seem to work as-is, so the fact it seems to mess with the game isn't really PD's fault, aside from choosing an internal sound format that the console decides it needs to reprocess for output. I wonder if the breakthrough Kaz was on about involves this output stage, and perhaps requires a PS3 system update of some kind?

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to "audio drop-out fix". Otherwise be prepared to be swamped by people stating that no amount of hardware tweaking can fix the game's sounds.
This.
"Improve GT audio" is completely wrong. Bad title. It's about fixing audio issues which a lot of people dont have

Yes, this works! More noticeable during replays. The Doppler Effect sounds so much more accurate and nasty, it sounds like throwing a piece of chicken into hot oil!! You know, the sound that a race car produces when it passes by you at very high speeds. This sound just like it. Drove the 88' Lamborghini Countach on the Green Hell and wow, what a difference it makes. My usual sound set up is the Logitech Z-5500 using optical output and it doesn't this good! For some reason when using optical output, the brutal Doppler Effect is gone. Guess no more fried chicken!

Just tried this method on my system. Sorry but that changes nothing on my (Sony) TV. But I have to say that my sound did sound a LOT better than in your youtube video in the first place. Maybe it was your TV having some issues with the Playstation audio output.

Just tried this method on my system. Sorry but that changes nothing on my (Sony) TV. But I have to say that my sound did sound a LOT better than in your youtube video in the first place. Maybe it was your TV having some issues with the Playstation audio output.
1st..this isn't my video. I clearly stated that i found it. 2nd. there is nothing wrong with my tv. 3rd. Im not convinced you know what to look for when it comes to audio. I never said that this audio fix would change the way the car sounds (that's for all who thought that). maybe i should have been more clear. My bad, but the things i do hear more clearly is things like the turbo, supercharger, and exhaust blow off are more present. Get a sound system to really hear what i mean, and turn off any music u may have during racing. In brief, certain sounds people say that aren't there....are there. this is just a way to make the more elaborate.

Thanks again Automotive!

Merry Christmas to you.

Attachments

• jann-mardenborough-s-very-serious-looking-set-up.jpg
    jann-mardenborough-s-very-serious-looking-set-up.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 25

Latest Posts

Back